PC Gaming News
Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    That youtube video won't play for me, "an error occurred, please try again later". First it looks like you put the wrong code in the tags but I quoted the post and it's fine.

or it might just be train wifi blocking random stuff (half the youtube videos I try to watch won't work)

EDIT: It was the train wifi, the video works fine from home. (Also I did search for it on youtube, and it gave the same error because train wifi is cheapo cheapo, free even.)
    Last edited by Ringsgold; 15-12-2011 at 20:06.

Weird, it plays just fine for me. Oh well, if anyone else can't watch the video, you can easily find it by searching youtube yourself. It's a nice teaser of season 2, with some very small clips that will be familiar to anyone having read the second book already.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    more vids on the makinggameofthrones.com page.
    I was a bit surprised by Renly's velvet armor. It might look nice and posh at close ups, but it is dull compared to the shiny green armor described in the book (which kind of is important for the Battle at the Blackwater later on).

PS: I googled GRRM age, as a friend told me "she fears that he will die of old age before he finishes the series" and was surprised he is just 63. He looks way older. Writing such a behemoth must take its toll on him.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    PS: I googled GRRM age, as a friend told me "she fears that he will die of old age before he finishes the series" and was surprised he is just 63. He looks way older. Writing such a behemoth must take its toll on him.
    What I think is slowing him down and taking him so long with each instalment is more the fact that he juggles a ton of other projects: Editing the Wild Cards series and writing a few stories himself (including whatever expanded editions are on the way after the 2010 edition of the first book), the prequel series Dunk & Egg, the TV series itself and several other novels, novellas and public appearances.

If he didn't have those, the series as a whole might have been finished a few years ago, I reckon. That or he'd get bored of it, leave it for a time while the demands to finish it pile up and wind up doing to it what Stephen King did to The Dark Tower (according to my brother).

As to his appearance, I think it's just his beard coupled with him looking like he's had a fair bit of weight on him for a few decades at least.
    Last edited by The Pointless; 07-01-2012 at 21:54.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    What I think is slowing him down and taking him so long with each instalment is more the fact that he juggles a ton of other projects: Editing the Wild Cards series and writing a few stories himself (including whatever expanded editions are on the way after the 2010 edition of the first book), the prequel series Dunk & Egg, the TV series itself and several other novels, novellas and public appearances.
    I seriously doubt that the limiting factor on him taking more then five years to write each of the last two books was the amount of other work he had. Hopefully he's been honest about the actual cause, because if it was all working out a major plothole about what people were doing during the autumn, then he should be back to ~2 years per book. If (as I consider more likely) he is suffering from a lack of editorial control, things are only likely to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    more vids on the makinggameofthrones.com page.
    I was a bit surprised by Renly's velvet armor. It might look nice and posh at close ups, but it is dull compared to the shiny green armor described in the book (which kind of is important for the Battle at the Blackwater later on).

Well, 63 is still quite old. It is an age when people are expected to die. Lets hope he gets really old.

Yes, Renly's armor isn't exactly how I imagined it would be. But they did pick an actor that has the right face for the part. I'm looking forward to seeing the two brother-kings face to face. There's a great scene in the book where Catelyn tries and gets the two brothers to set aside their differences, but they are both too stubborn. A great clash of two completely different personalities.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    My dad is the same age and he does not look so old, but anyway - GRRM should finish the series!

Best about Renly - is accompanied by Margaery/Natalie Dormer

But back on appearances, I wonder how they will dress & dye the people "in the east" with Danaery's story line. The hair colours & hair styles in the book could easily make them look like Krusty the Clown if done wrongly. And like I said before: How will they "uglyfy" Brienne? The actress cast is far too pretty for her on the pictures I have seen. (Jorah is much more handsome on TV too, but the story isn't so much on him looking like a hairy bear than it is about Brienne not looking like a woman).

PS: I am at about 60% of ADWD and I wish when I reach 100% GRRM has managed to get more of his numerous POV characters streamlined to push the story forward. Two, almost three, books covering the same period of time at different places isn't too much of a progression.
    Last edited by Gorani; 08-01-2012 at 15:09.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Oh agreed, the hairstyles of some of the characters that Dany encounters in the far east are outlandish to say the least. Some also wear dye on their face and lips. They could easily look silly. I wouldn't be surprised nor disappointed if they made their own creative changes to the way some of these characters look. What works in the book might not look quite so good on tv.

Brienne should look like almost a man, certainly not as pretty as I think they make her look now. But we'll just have to wait and see. From some of the behind the scenes footage, it is clear that they do their best to atleast make Jamie look really abused. In the book he spends quite a while in a cellar (we already see him imprisoned in season 1), suffers quite a lot of abuse which I won't spoil, and also gets beat up by Brienne as well. He no longer looks like the beautiful blond knight that scr*ws his sister like in season 1, thats for sure. Then there's also the fact that they will need to uglify Tyrion as well.

In fact, season 2's entire final act could end up consuming a lot of the budget. Most of the battles in the first book are told through the perspective of someone who isn't actually involved with the battle itself. But with the second book, most of the final battle is told quite detailed, and it is important that we see it all. I am really curious to see the great battle at the end of season 2. I hope they have received the budget to make it BIG!

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    IIRC Jamie was imprisoned and did not appear at all in book two. He becomes a POV character in book 3. I am sure writers start to mix up book three & two a bit (they have to do with 4 & 5 anyway later).

Book three has a lot of scenes that are supposed to take place during book 2, so it makes sense if they pick a few scenes from book 3 as well for season 2. If I'm not mistaken, the scene in season 1 where Tyrion is knocked out by his own wildmen in season 2, was also actually a flashback in book 2.