PC Gaming News
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Looks like they set up from future seasons with the tail end of the chat between Tyrion and Varys.

When is Dance with Dragons hitting paperback?

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddah View Post
    When is Dance with Dragons hitting paperback?
    It already has, at least in the UK where, like Storm, it's been split into two parts.

Posted from my cyberbrain. There may be typos.

I have the paperback right here next to me. I just finished Feast for Crows (book 4), which was a bit boring. But Dance with Dragons so far is a lot of fun.

It seems that indeed that last bit of dialogue between Varys and Tyrion was setting up some stuff for season 3.
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 23-05-2012 at 17:17.

Whole episode focused on the Battle of Blackwater.

Stanis looked like one bad mofo as he came ashore ready for battle. Bron and the Hound got serious screen time working their brutal craft. Most of the books key points were handled about the battle.

The wildfire explosion was quite awesome. Well done! However, the hand-to-hand combat was pale in comparison, although still very well done, especially for a TV series. I was kinda hoping for the "ship-bridge", but knew they'd probably leave that out. Also, some cost saving for next season regarding Tyrions scar? (it is much larger and uglier in the books.)

Quote Originally Posted by Leonora Windleaf View Post
    it is much larger and uglier in the books
    duh... in the books his whole nose goes off... Since he's such a key character I guess that would be hard on the make-up departement :)

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/ga...season-3-cast/

The Reeds are in for season 3? Interesting
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Quote Originally Posted by Qanar View Post
    duh... in the books his whole nose goes off... Since he's such a key character I guess that would be hard on the make-up departement :)
    That was one of the things I knew they would change. But I think the end result was a bit disappointing. It didn't look at all as if Tyrion had suffered a dangerous wound. It looked like a scratch, but not much more. They should have made it a lot more bloody. It felt odd to see Tyrion crumble in the dirt due to such a minor wound.

One of the changes that bothered me the most was the chain that Tyrion has made in the book. It is one of the most important details of Tyrion's master plan. All of the ships get caught in the wildfire, and Tyrion has a giant chain be raised between two massive towers, effectively closing off the bay. No ships are able to escape the bay and the wildfire because of this. But I suppose it is something they dropped due to them changing the battle of blackwater bay to a land battle, rather than a naval battle. In the book Kingslanding has a fleet of its own, and also a lot of their own ships are caught in the wildfire. Davos is one of many that is lost to the water in all this chaos, and his fate remains uncertain for a while. I didn't see this happen in the episode, but maybe we'll learn more of what happened to Davos in the next and final episode.

I really did like the look of the wildfire. A lot of fans were afraid that it wouldn't be green for starters. But it did not disappoint. I loved that shot of one ship literally being ripped apart by the explosion. Stannis looks bad@ss as he charges head first into battle. And there were a couple of really nice gory scenes in the battle as well. The rain of arrows, the battering ram, the boat they use for cover, all of this was really well done. Its perfectly clear that they can't show us something of the scale of Lord of the Rings, but with their limited budget, I'm impressed with what we got. In fact, I would almost say that having the camera right in there in the action, is probably a whole lot more exciting than seeing grand overviews of clashing CGI armies. You could tell they were really shooting this at night, during the rain, with tons of extras. Real actors look so much better than CGI.

I was also very happy to see more of the Hound. Him being so frightened by all the fire (especially the wildfire) was a memorable detail from the book, so I was glad they included it.

This leaves only a few details to be cleared up for the final episode of this season:

-Arya keeping her promise to Jaqen
    -What happened to Davos?
    -The conclusion perhaps to Jon's adventure with the wildlings. How far will he go to earn their trust?
    -Tywin reclaims his position as Hand of the King.
    -The House of the Undying!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/ga...season-3-cast/

The Reeds are in for season 3? Interesting
    And Beric Dondarrion, AKA the Lightning Lord is also in, along with the red priest. Beric leads the Brotherhood Without Banners, which was mentioned a few times during the last few episodes. This is interesting, because they may actually show us some of the supernatural stuff regarding Beric and another character, explaining what happens at the end of Storm of Swords. Without spoiling too much, the red priest Thoros of Myr, is a priest of the same god as Melisandre: R'hllor. In the books Beric is rumoured to have died several times, and rumour has it that Thoros is responsible for bringing him back to life every time. Hopefully, we will learn more of this in the show, than we learned in the books. Beric also runs into the Hound at some point, which makes for a very interesting confrontation.

Inside the episode:

Promo for the season finale:

Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 02-06-2012 at 12:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    -Arya keeping her promise to Jaqen
    -What happened to Davos?
    -The conclusion perhaps to Jon's adventure with the wildlings. How far will he go to earn their trust?
    -Tywin reclaims his position as Hand of the King.
    -The House of the Undying!
    These three are so going to be cliffhangers...

There were some other interesting details about this episode. First of all, Varys indicates that there are a lot of underground tunnels underneath King's Landing, which will play an important role in the next season. Varys also hints at his knowledge about the dark arts, and the dark circumstances under which he lost his you-know-what. We can also see Sansa figuring out how to influence Joffrey, and standing up to the Hound. Stannis really steals the show during this episode, because unlike Joffrey he really is a fearless king. He goes first into battle, and accepts the losses. When one of his men tells him that hundreds will die under the rain of arrows from King's Landing's walls, he simply correct him with "thousands". Meanwhile we see Joffrey's bravery crumble when he comes face to face with the sheer volume of Stannis' army. We also see Cersei relish in informing Sansa about the dark side of war in case King's Landing falls, especially regarding the fate of women during a war. Up until the moment Tywin shows up, Cersei is ready to commit suicide, along with her children. Cersei also has some awesome dialogue where she explains how she basically would have preferred to have been born a man, so she could fight like her brother Jamie.