PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Unlike True Blood, which had a lot of sex without a connection to character development, I think most of the sex and nudity shown on GoT serves some purpose:

Spoiler

I am looking forward to see how Arya will grow up. Will she be able to follow the "warrior's way"? Will Jon Snow be a great leader? How will Ned Stark handle all the intrigue in King's Landing? How will Daenerys be able to influence the horse lords?
    And Peter Dinklage needs more screen time as Tyrion. He is my favourite character so far.
    Last edited by Gorani; 11-05-2011 at 14:24.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    The sex and depravity is critical to the plot. Actually witnessing it is not, as long as the idea is brought across. I hear Zalis' concerns. Or actually, see his fontly concerns.
    That's pretty much it. Reading about it and knowing tha tit happened [sic] is different than having it played out before your eyes.

Some may chuckle at the example, but there's plenty of depravity and sex in the Bible. While I read it, that doesn't mean I seek out live action portrayals of Jezebel or Bathsheba, etc. I can know what happened and see the results without having to literally see the naked scene go down. [sic, tho pun not intended]
    Last edited by Zalis; 11-05-2011 at 15:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    I am looking forward to see how Arya will grow up. Will she be able to follow the "warrior's way"? Will Jon Snow be a great leader? How will Ned Stark handle all the intrigue in King's Landing? How will Daenerys be able to influence the horse lords?
    And Peter Dinklage needs more screen time as Tyrion. He is my favourite character so far.
    How to phrase this without spoilers...

Episode five should have more of Tyrion, based on the preview, but I think your complaint may have more merit afterward.

Note: ACTUAL spoilers may be inside this tag (remember not to quote this or you'll see the spoilers)
    Spoiler

And then we have people who are offended that people dare to show their terribly offensive bodies. It's utterly bizarre how someone can be okay with a beheading but not with a breast. Seriously, half the population sees them every time they take their shirt off, and I know for a fact that I sucked on one when I was a baby.

It's not even like it's especially gratuitous, or only women taking their shirts off, which could be offensive in a "that's sexist" sort of way.

The sex and depravity is critical to the plot. Actually witnessing it is not, as long as the idea is brought across.
    Critical to the plot? Maybe, maybe not. The mood? Absolutely. Things that have happened so far are fairly tame. Once **** really starts going down in Westeros... well, it would be impossible to accurately display the horror of war without showing blood, and something similar could be said with nudity, in a slightly different way.

Achievements:
    There's a difference between "being offended by" and simply not wanting to see something. Rather than watching and then saying "HOW DARE THEY," I simply made a choice to not watch the show.

/edit/
    I didn't mean to stir anything up by yesterday's post. It just seemed relevant to note, considering my original "Ooh, high production fantasy series..." response.
    Last edited by Zalis; 11-05-2011 at 22:55.

I'm seriously loving this series right now. It's faithful to the books, right down to a ton of the dialog, but they're doing a lot more in the way of introducing certain side characters who suddenly take center stage in later books (*cough*Theon*cough*). Just a few extra scenes here and there will make a ton of difference to newcomers to the series later on. Production values are fantastic, the magical undertones are being kept muted but still looming quite ominously over what seems to be a fairly standard "good house vs. bad house" political arena. I almost wish I didn't know how it is going to turn out. Almost.

I can understand not wanting to see the nudity. Ok, I can't understand it, but I appreciate that that's an auto-reject for some people. My fiancée has trouble watching those scenes, and she loved the books; it's just the visual that bothers her. She finds the rest of it quite enjoyable, though.

Oh, and I'm downloading it. I really try not to do that, as a rule...but I don't even have cable right now, so like hell am I buying an HBO subscription for one show. I rationalize it thusly: I know I'll be buying the box sets when they come out, and they'll get more money from me for that anyway.

I'm downloading all the episodes, since it takes the Dutch television networks atleast a year to figure out that shows like Heroes and Lost are popular. Just finished watching the fourth episode, and man this is getting better and better. I really love how they are building all this up, and the visuals are incredible. I love how they are down playing the magical aspects, and use most of the CGI to just make the incredible world come to life. I've never read any of the books, so to me its all a surprise.

My favourite characters right now are the devious Tyrion Lannister (played perfectly by Peter Dinklage) and outcast Jon Snow. And Sean Bean is great in almost anything I see him in.

I'd avoid looking for the books in Dutch, as it seems they did some annoying things like translate names (Jon Snow = Jon Sneeuw).

The acting is really great, but Peter Dinklage, Sean Bean and that Petyr guy are doing great IMO.

One more thing: OMG DIRE WOLF PUPPIES!

So glad they used real dogs (I forget which breed) instead of CGI.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Northern Inuit Dogs, apparently.

I hope to get a look at this at some point. Only seen a trailer and some behind the scenes bits and pieces, but it looked fairly promising as a production, and there are some good actors involved.

Took me a long time to work out that this book I'd seen people raving about on the 'net was one that I'd actually read, even after having poked around on Martin's website a couple of times. Never read past the first one, but I might have to go and track it down again for another go.

Achievements:
    Looks like there's going to be an RTS game based on the series.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...l-fight-dirty/