PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions!

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I'll get GW this week, or possibly the next one, and I hold my fingers crossed to find a nice guild. :)

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by SpitWarrior View Post
    In general, I'll still end up with all the skills I would get with quests no matter in which order I complete campaigns? And do a lot of people still play the game?
    You will be able to get all the skills in the game if you have all the campaigns. But, Prophecies born characters have access to many skill quests that you don't see in Factions or Nightfall, and will be unavailable to characters born in Factions/Nightfall. To make up for this, you make money and level up faster in Factions and Nightfall.

If you don't spend gold like a drunken pirate or have expensive taste in item skins while you're learning to play, money's not a huge problem in this game. You'll have enough to get what you need to advance.

As for the player population, it can vary a lot depending on what time you play and how popular a particular mission is. It can be a big help to join a helpful guild.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'll admit that early areas tend to be more deserted outside of zdays... This may be more of an issue in Prophecies.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    But, Prophecies born characters have access to many skill quests that you don't see in Factions or Nightfall, and will be unavailable to characters born in Factions/Nightfall.
    Sorry for another question , but are any of those skills important? Both in PvE and PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I'll admit that early areas tend to be more deserted outside of zdays... This may be more of an issue in Prophecies.
    Piken Square has always been popular place to hang out even a lot of 20s in there.
    Last edited by Age; 19-03-2010 at 18:16.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Ehmry Bay
    Guild

[Loot]
    Sorry for another question , but are any of those skills important? Both in PvE and PvP?
    Having all the skills is a huge plus in PvP, but you said that you're getting the complete set, so you'll still have access to all of them.

Prophecies characters have access to more quests with skill rewards than Factions or Nightfall characters, but you may still purchase the skills from a trainer. Quests are only one method of learning skills. You do not lose the ability to learn Prophecies skills by creating a character in Nightfall or Factions, but you will not be able to take certain quests in Prophecies that award skills.

While Prophecies does give"free" skills by doing quests, I can't say this to be a deciding factor. They are strewn throughout a huge low level area. They may be free, but access to them is another story.

Factions is not only the fastest start into the game, it probably is also the hardest, as it cuts directly from the (short) tutorial island to the end-lvl content. Once there, the game will unforgivingly beat nearly every stupid idea out of you.
    This isn't to say that you wouldn't learn just as much in Prophecies, but it lets you have stupid ideas on your skill bar, until you've become "attached" to it and are unwilling to give it up for something that'd actually be functional. In some areas of Factions, you'd be dead meat within a couple paces from the door for that.

Talking visuals, the learning curve of Factions would be a short and very steep one. It can be frustrating to the point of people quiting the game, but once you've done that, you're pretty much ready to take it from there.

Nightfall is the middle ground. Still, I have a problem with recommending it to beginners because of the heroes.
    They are a flippin' sweet thing. Problem is just that you are learning how your class ticks and tocks and shall at the same do so for 3 others, right from the start. Also, you'd have to decide who of two choices is going to be your 3rd hero, when you hardly know what either is capable of.

I can't say that there is a good/bad, right/wrong campaign to start in. They all have their pros and cons. I can give you 3 good hints, regardless of the campaigns:

First. Read the Skills of your class. You are not going to write a test over it, but it is a good thing to have a general clue of what does what.

Second. Read the Skills of other classes. You will want to know what killed you and if you can use it yourself or turn it against your target. Also, if you create another character, you already got a clue what that is capable of.

Third. Learn from others. Friendslist, Guildmates and allies should be your first call for information. As long as you are just asking for a nudge in the right direction, most people willing to offer "their" insights. (possibly just realting you to the page where they got it from)

As for PvP and skills, I guess the "have 'em all" is rule here. This does mean to have all campaings and the expansion on the account, so you can unlock the content. There are unlock-packs in the online-store available, but that's basically saying "I'll give you money, so I don't have to play the game, which I bought from you." Still, if you want to do that, go for it. And send me some money too while you re at it

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Don't worry about which campaign gives you which skills.

1) they are ways around it, like unlocking it in pvp and then using a skill tome
    2) you can build a decent team build from skills of any single campaign
    3) optimal team builds tend to use skills from all 4 games, so starting location becomes moot anyway

The gold you save with Prophecies skills is not worth the time you waste and the slowness of the campaign imo. If all you can is efficiency, you're better of starting in Factions and buying the skills you want.

Frankly, I always pick my campaign based on how my character looks, or which campaign I feel like playing in.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Yes, but as mentioned, you can just buy them if you don't have access to the skill quest.

And it will generally take more time to do the quests than to generate the money to simply buy the skills.

Quote Originally Posted by AngronIsAngry View Post
    While Prophecies does give"free" skills by doing quests, I can't say this to be a deciding factor. They are strewn throughout a huge low level area. They may be free, but access to them is another story.

Factions is not only the fastest start into the game, it probably is also the hardest, as it cuts directly from the (short) tutorial island to the end-lvl content. Once there, the game will unforgivingly beat nearly every stupid idea out of you.
    It is about 30 skills (about 15 in pre per profession, and then there are 8 Proph. born only skill quests, that usually allow you to get skill rewards for both your primary and secondary profession (fyi, to SpitWarrior, you can change your secondary at will after a certain point in the game, so don't get too hung up on choosing your secondary), so that's another 16.

That's like 30k in savings, which can mean a lot to someone starting out.

I personally like to start all my characters in prophecies, but I have two accounts and two computers, so I can run my self past alot of stuff.

Good point about Factions. I think its' problem is that it lets you level up too easily before going to Kaineng, so you end up getting to a level 20 area at level 15/16 (regular play), when you really need to be level 18 or 19 already. Helps to do all the profession quests before choosing a secondary.

Thank you for all the replies . I'll pick Prophecies then, as I don't really mind a bit slower lvling.

Another question (you saw this coming!)!
    Since the internet in my school is awesomely fast (usually downloads at about 4 MB/s) I decided to download the GW client from the website there. I did that, and didn't enter the game or anything, but do the -image thing. It took about an hour to complete it, and I end up having a ~3.8GB GW.dat file in the folder. I assumed it was the only thing -image downloads, and burned it to an empty DVD.

May I guess I can do this: install GW from the discs I get with the box, and then overwrite the GW.dat file with the ~3.8GB one? The -image thing said it needed to download ~110k files, and I hope that's everything I need?

Thanks, again! You guys are a great help!