Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)

Auto Partying in Large Scale Combats

It sounds like GW2 will have auto partying but here is how I see it. Let's say you leaves town by yourself to enter the battlefield. You see many allies and many foes engaging in combat. Partying with EVERYONE you see is impossible and in the chaos it is impossible to pick up party members. (No one is going to care about your "Awesome Warrior LFG" when everyone is fighting for their lives. ) So what do you do?

Spoiler

This may seem very chaotic but it is actually very simple for a soldier on the battlefield: YOU HELP ALLIES CLOSEST TO YOU AND YOU FIGHT FOES WHO ARE CLOSEST TO YOU. That was exactly how they did it back in the Roman and Medieval times and perhaps Anet should adopt it.

What I suggest is an auto ally pick up system.

1) You are automatically allied with the closest 20 allies nearby. The closer the ally the higher the priority. (You are near these guys so you should help these guys)
    2) Allies who are outside of the "in the area" range and not "locked" are auto kicked from the party. (This guy is running too far away so you don't care about him anymore)
    3) Players have the option to "lock" allies if they choose. (If players happen to find good allies they wish to stuck with they are allowed to do so).

This system will allow anyone to jump into large scale combats anytime, without the need to pick up allies in the town or having to gather at a specific time.

During the combat, players will be allied and un-allied with other players constantly. This makes sense since you only care are those allies around you. You can't really care about your father if he was fighting a mile away from you. That was how it was in ancient real life combat too.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 03-05-2010 at 20:44.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Not a bad idea, but I think they got it sorted out already.

If you'd excuse me, I have to reinstall RTW after looking at that image :D

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

Memento Vivere, Mystic Spiral
    I actually hoped this would be the thing in AB.
    Parties tend to scatter there..

I concur that this is pretty neat, I'm assuming that they've got some sort of system like this. It would be pretty funny to end up halfway across the map from your original group without realizing it.

Also, I was just binging on Rome this morning. Stupid phalanxes, not letting me just charge everything with cavalry.

=.= Then I guess there won't be any FFA pking

Quote Originally Posted by SurviverX View Post
    =.= Then I guess there won't be any FFA pking
    actually... the way i understand it... any1 in the mists, or at least the WvW area are fair game.... so dont give up hope quite yet!

the reassurance thoguh, is that this game is hella balanced, so pking will actually require skill rather than the typical 15lvl advantage. haha

GWOnline Content Team
    Elemental Attunement
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayadine Deathskull View Post
    actually... the way i understand it... any1 in the mists, or at least the WvW area are fair game.... so dont give up hope quite yet!

the reassurance thoguh, is that this game is hella balanced, so pking will actually require skill rather than the typical 15lvl advantage. haha
    From an interview i read (I forgot which one sorry) Its sounded WvWvW
    W being a world or server as it is. So 3 servers pitted against each other in large scale combat

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    I actually hoped this would be the thing in AB.
    Parties tend to scatter there..
    That would actually be pretty cool. Although I'd still want organized AB before this.

While that might be true, that isn't exactly FFA.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
    This may seem very chaotic but it is actually very simple for a soldier on the battlefield: YOU HELP ALLIES CLOSEST TO YOU AND YOU FIGHT FOES WHO ARE CLOSEST TO YOU. That was exactly how they did it back in the Roman and Medieval times and perhaps Anet should adopt it.
    Well usually, soldiers, even back then, doesn't need to worry about going LFG since they already sorted all that out before they reach the battlefield.

I see what you mean though.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redean View Post
    From an interview i read (I forgot which one sorry) Its sounded WvWvW
    W being a world or server as it is. So 3 servers pitted against each other in large scale combat
    Where did you read that? So far we haven't gotten any numbers on how many worlds there will be in one battle. So far I have only seen evidence for 1v1.