PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    CHIPS's Avatar
    Server

    Tarnished Coast
    Guild

    The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Posts

    2,389

    Ascalon should take over Southern Shiverpeaks

    Spoiler


    Current situation:

    1) Ascalon's war against the Charr is not going well. If defeated Ascalonians will have nowhere to run.
    2) Deldrimor Dwarfs have turned into Stone Dwarfs, and went underground to chase the Destroyers. So most of the Dwarf towns are currently ghost towns.
    3) Stone Summit are mostly defeated and will provide minimal resistance.
    4) Charrs some what do not like cold weather. They will be hesitant to chase the Ascalonians across the snowy mountains.
    5) Kryta is locked in a civil war and will not be able to effect this take over.
    6) The Dwarfs left behind many strong fortifications that Ascalonians can use against the Charr.
    7) Shiverpeak's mountainous terrain is easier to defend than the open fields of the current Ascalon area.

    I propose that Ascalon take over the abandoned Dwarf towns in Southern Shiverpeaks. This way if Ascalon is ever defeated by the Charr at least the people will have somewhere to run. Else the Ascalon civilians might face a slaughter.

    Now is the best time to do this take over, since the resistance in Shiverpeaks will be at its lowest in the last few centuries. The Stone Summits are mostly defeated. Kryta is at a civil war so they can't stop us.

    We can lead the people from Yak's Bend to Beacon's Porch. From there down to Deldrimor War Camp. From here we will split into two groups. One group moves south to take over Droknar's Forge. The other group heads east to take over Thunderhead Keep. Along the way soldiers will protect the people from wild life and Stone Summit attacks. We Ascalonian warriors have fight the Charr for ages. A few Trolls and Stone Summit escapees don't have a chance against us.

    If successful, we would have ensured the safety of Ascalonian civilians. The Charrs do not really like cold weather. If they try to attack us in Shiverpeaks their fighting abilities will be weakened. And the Dwarfs had left behind many strong fortifications for us to use.

    We Ascalonians are brave and will gladly defend our homeland with our lives. But at the same time we should have a back up plan for the Ascalon civilians in the worst case scenarios.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 05-05-2010 at 21:57.

  2. #2
    What was the point of the maps? Also, I'm just going to say one thing:

    Ascalonians retreat to Ebonhawke in the Blazeridge Mountains (some retreating to Kryta), and the Shiverpeaks Mountains are taken over by centaur, norn, kodan, and dredge. Probably the Avicara tengu too. You completely forgot about the centaurs, tengu, and dredge in your post and we already know what will happen, so I see no purpose in this post.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Konig Des Todes View Post
    so I see no purpose in this post.
    If someone would be crazy enough to make Konig a mod, he'd probably delete it.

  4. #4
    If you have more compelling ideas to post, feel free to do so, but at least Chips is trying to liven things up a bit. Not to mention, if I were to delete this, I would also potentially need to delete the Dakutu Village thread, since we already know the White Mantle are going to be defeated. That aside, it is possible the Ascalonians may attempt, before the Dredge start populating the area, occupation of the Southern Shiverpeaks for a brief time.

  5. #5
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    CHIPS's Avatar
    Server

    Tarnished Coast
    Guild

    The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Posts

    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Konig Des Todes View Post
    What was the point of the maps? Also, I'm just going to say one thing:

    Ascalonians retreat to Ebonhawke in the Blazeridge Mountains (some retreating to Kryta), and the Shiverpeaks Mountains are taken over by centaur, norn, kodan, and dredge. Probably the Avicara tengu too. You completely forgot about the centaurs, tengu, and dredge in your post and we already know what will happen, so I see no purpose in this post.
    It is no doubt some of the Ascalonians retreated to Blazeridge Mountains (between Ascalon and the Crystal Desert) and built Ebonhawke. Some moved to Kryta. But it is possible for some of them to move to Silverpeaks. Taking advantage of the abandoned Dwarf fortresses to defend against the Charr actually makes more sense than building a bland new fortress at Blazeridge Mountains. So a large amount of Ascalonians might try that.

    If this happens the population of Ascalon will probably split into 3 factions. All 3 claims legitimacy to the ruler ship of Ascalon, shall it ever be recovered:

    1) Ascalon Settlement (Ascalon Republic) - the Ascalonians that moved to Kryta. Their culture slowly changed and became similar to Krytans. Over the years they had settled in areas in Northern Kryta. Although its own separated entity, the Ascalon Republic is extremely friendly terms with Kryta. Due to a lack of commanding nobles in their group, these people were the first to have an elected assembly in the history of the world. However soon bribery and corruption become common theme in the republic. Their stance is all 3 Ascalon countries should be united and be ruled by a democratic system.



    2) Silverpeak Ascalonians (Western Ascalon Empire) - the Ascalonians that moved to the Silverpeak after the Fall of Ascalon. Soon they lost contact with the people in Ascalon and Blazeridge due to constant Charr raids, leaving these people to fend for themselves. Over the years they had adopted a culture of warfare due to the hash environment and constant wars against Centaurs, Avicara Tengu and Charrs. A intelligent, but dictating warlord of noble bloodline (self-proclaimed) claims legitimacy to the throne. In the past he had saved his kingdom from numerous invasions from foreign forces, making him a great hero in the eyes of his people. He had send numerous search parties to the Fire Island Chains to find the magical sword Sohothin, to no veil.



    3) Blazeridge Ascalonians (Eastern Ascalon Empire) - the Ascalonians that moved to Blazeridge. To stop the Charr advances they build a series of fortress on the mountains, the biggest of them being Ebonhawke. Of the three Ascalonian countries they preserved the most in terms of old Ascalonian culture. They also pride themselves in having the magical sword Magdaer in their procession. The Ebon Vanguard and Ascalonian Royals Guards in the country loyally served the decedents of King Adelbern to this very day. They view the other two Ascalonian countries as nothing more than betrayers to their King. Although in recent years the kings of Eastern Ascalon Empire had been less than splendid. Most had been spoiled to partying and drinking since childhood.

    Last edited by CHIPS; 06-05-2010 at 01:55.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jair of the Forest View Post
    If someone would be crazy enough to make Konig a mod, he'd probably delete it.
    I am a mod on guru and guru2, I generally don't delete threads like this, but even if I was wanted as a mod over here, I'd decline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gmr Leon View Post
    If you have more compelling ideas to post, feel free to do so, but at least Chips is trying to liven things up a bit. Not to mention, if I were to delete this, I would also potentially need to delete the Dakutu Village thread, since we already know the White Mantle are going to be defeated. That aside, it is possible the Ascalonians may attempt, before the Dredge start populating the area, occupation of the Southern Shiverpeaks for a brief time.
    This and the Dakutu Village are different though. This is more or less a suggestion to change existing lore, the Dakutu Village thread is more of a "how could the WM and SB fights occur". But while possible, I don't think that would happen. The dredge don't seem like a decimated race and as such would be able to take over nearly immediately. Also the Modniir centaurs would easily take over the northern shiverpeaks (they were already in large numbers in Deldrimor Bowl), and the Avicara, should they wish to expand, could easily move southwest and south to the Deldrimor areas - all before the dredge take over. If there was even time before the dredge taking over.

    Quote Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
    It is no doubt some of the Ascalonians retreated to Blazeridge Mountains (between Ascalon and the Crystal Desert) and built Ebonhawke. Some moved to Kryta. But it is possible for some of them to move to Silverpeaks. Taking advantage of the abandoned Dwarf fortresses to defend against the Charr actually makes more sense than building a bland new fortress at Blazeridge Mountains. So a large amount of Ascalonians might try that.
    The thing is that Ebonhawke is still in Ascalon, the Shiverpeaks is not. It's on the edge of the Blazeridge Mountains. Also, we've been given implications that Ebonhawke is formed in GW1's time, thus about 20 years before the fall of Ascalon City.

  7. #7
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    CHIPS's Avatar
    Server

    Tarnished Coast
    Guild

    The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Posts

    2,389
    I have no doubt that these beasts and tribes would try to take over the Southern Silverpeak area. But the fact is they are just tribesmen and is not nearly as populous and well-equipped as the Ascalonians. That is why Ascalon is an empire and those tribes and beasts are not.

    As a counter argument, there are gargoyles and Grawl in Ascalon but that doesn't mean Ascalon belong to them. The only reason why no human took over the Southern Silverpeaks before was because the Dwarfs were there. That is no longer the case. It is highly likely that the Ascalonians can take over a major part of the Southern Silverpeak during this power vacuum, if not the whole thing.

    I never said Ebonhawke won't be built. In fact I am 100% sure it will be built. But will all Ascalonians go there? Or will some split up and head to the Southern Silverpeak and Kryta instead? Up to Anet.

    I love this Ascalon spiting into 3 idea because this will allow player to pick a form of government that they wanted to support. Will they support democracy? Will they support a powerful and intelligent dictator? Or will they put loyality above all else and support a spoiled king whose linage came from King Adelbern?
    Last edited by CHIPS; 08-05-2010 at 23:08.

  8. #8
    I disagree greatly. The Avicara tengu put up a fight against the Stone Summit before they lost the war, the centaurs give Krytans in GW2 hassle, and do so in GW1 even. The charr are very tribal like and they beat the **** out of the Ascalonians.

    Comparing centaurs, tengu, and dredge to the gargoyles is laughable. Grawl at their state as well even.

    And I never said you said Ebonhawke wouldn't be built. I said that is still Ascalon and is said by an unconfirmed but possibly truthful (especially given the Ebon Falcons that Thackeray leads) that it is made at the end of War in Kryta - thus why would Ascalonians leave Ascalon if they have Ebonhawke? As long as they intend to fight, that is.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Konig Des Todes View Post
    This and the Dakutu Village are different though. This is more or less a suggestion to change existing lore, the Dakutu Village thread is more of a "how could the WM and SB fights occur". But while possible, I don't think that would happen. The dredge don't seem like a decimated race and as such would be able to take over nearly immediately. Also the Modniir centaurs would easily take over the northern shiverpeaks (they were already in large numbers in Deldrimor Bowl), and the Avicara, should they wish to expand, could easily move southwest and south to the Deldrimor areas - all before the dredge take over. If there was even time before the dredge taking over.
    Not really. This doesn't change the existing lore any more than the events of the War in Kryta, as all it does is use the existing temporal gap as leverage for further elaboration. As I see it, Chips has kept the existing lore intact, but added an additional location for possible Ascalonian occupation or retreat, unlikely though it may be. Besides, depending on how close Ebonhawke is to the mountains, it isn't at all unlikely they may tunnel in to provide a safe area during sieges to prevent casualties. It would be advantageous for them if they happened upon old Dwarven tunnels that linked up to the Southern Shiverpeaks to set up an outpost for the gathering of any resources on the other side, as well as point to retreat to.

    It's strategically idiotic to put yourself up against a wall like they've done without proper siege preparations as I've suggested, and pointing out that these would be unnecessary with an Asura gate is equally amusing as given the size of them, it's its own chokepoint that if targeted would result in the retreating troops being easily slaughtered.

    As to the parts regarding the Dredge, I suspect it would be a few decades before they start to seize and actually hold areas of the Shiverpeaks due to the fact that they would have to overcome their timid, frightful nature to transform themselves into a fighting race. Although, if we observe the Echovald Dredge, it may not even take that long, but it would still be a fair amount of time before they managed to expand and hold territory beyond Grenth's Footprint. I think this mainly because it may be the long journey to the Echovald Forest that hardened those Dredge into the fighters we see today.

    Chips and I are thinking in different directions, but I wouldn't discount the possibility of a small Ascalonian presence in the Southern Shiverpeaks. It may just be in a few outposts along the foothills, but it's still a presence.

  10. #10
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    CHIPS's Avatar
    Server

    Tarnished Coast
    Guild

    The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Posts

    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Konig Des Todes View Post
    I disagree greatly. The Avicara tengu put up a fight against the Stone Summit before they lost the war, the centaurs give Krytans in GW2 hassle, and do so in GW1 even. The charr are very tribal like and they beat the **** out of the Ascalonians.

    Comparing centaurs, tengu, and dredge to the gargoyles is laughable. Grawl at their state as well even.

    And I never said you said Ebonhawke wouldn't be built. I said that is still Ascalon and is said by an unconfirmed but possibly truthful (especially given the Ebon Falcons that Thackeray leads) that it is made at the end of War in Kryta - thus why would Ascalonians leave Ascalon if they have Ebonhawke? As long as they intend to fight, that is.
    It is not about the culture. It is about their population size. The Charr are at least as numberous as Ascalonians, if not even more so. They held a large piece of territory up north, so they are actually an empire too just like Ascalon. Their culture might be a bit tribal and barbaric but they clearly had the manpower to match Ascalon.

    The Centaurs and Tengu in the area are not nearly as populous. The Centaurs specially are nothing but raiding parties up in Northern Silverpeak. Northern Silverpeak is too close to Charr held territory anyways so the Ascalonians will probably just pasts it by.

    The Tengus might have been strong once upon a time. But they had been constantly attacked by the Stone Summits that they had lost all of their former glory. Now they just lives in small tribes and held a small territory in Mineral Springs. They might take over some of the former Dwarf territory but they won't have the manpower to take over even half of it.

    And lastly, how can Ascalon fit its huge population size inside Ebonhawke? That is like trying to fit everyone in Australia into Sydney. I don't think the Blazeridge Mountains area is very good for farming so they will have a hard time feeding everyone.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 09-05-2010 at 19:13.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •