PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I wouldn't want to be this kid

http://www.channel3000.com/news/24039126/detail.html

MILWAUKEE -- Milwaukee County authorities are planning to release more information about a parking garage accident in which a 30-foot concrete slab fell one story, killing a 15-year old boy and injuring a woman and her teenage son on Thursday.

Sheriff David Clarke has scheduled a news conference for Friday morning.

Clarke and other officials released few details on Thursday afternoon after the slab dropped from the garage built in the 1990s. The incident occurred at about 4 p.m.

It happened just down the street from the Summerfest grounds. At the time, thousands of people were pouring into downtown Milwaukee to attend the kickoff of the annual music festival.
    What a terrible way to go. Although, I've noticed that quite a few places in Wisconsin have issues with keeping their roads/parking areas good so I'm not going to say I'm completely surprised that some of it would break off. Still, it's crazy.
    Last edited by djacob; 25-06-2010 at 18:01.

Indeed, that's sa very bad way to go. I hope he at least died instantly and didn't suffer. It's still sad though.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by djacob View Post
    http://www.channel3000.com/news/24039126/detail.html

What a terrible way to go. Although, I've noticed that quite a few places in Wisconsin have issues with keeping their roads/parking areas good so I'm not going to say I'm completely surprised that some of it would break off. Still, it's crazy.
    Pretty sure that that parking garage was privately owned, and has nothing to do with the abysmal lack of anything remotely resembling public works in Milwaukee. Sucks to be that kid, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Erring Ryft View Post
    Pretty sure that that parking garage was privately owned, and has nothing to do with the abysmal lack of anything remotely resembling public works in Milwaukee. Sucks to be that kid, though.
    I'm sorry, you're right I wasn't really thinking about that when I wrote made this thread. Stinks for the company who owns it, but I feel worse for the kid.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Hmmm...it doesn't say, but I'm assuming the boy was killed rather quickly. Probably worse for his parents. And the friend, and friend's mother, it seems he was with.
    mv

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Kind've a big downer for opening day at Summerfest, too.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    I don't quite understand how a 30 foot slab can kill one but only injure two others. Did it squish the one kid completely while just merely grazing the others? Kind of a strange situation.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    the slab prolly landed squarely on the one, while debris just hit the others. Not a pleasant way to go.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points

No one wants to be the dying kid. Dah! But people die every day in scores. Any kind of accident, war, hunger, or genocide. What is the big deal about this particular case?

Quote Originally Posted by nabbed View Post
    No one wants to be the dying kid. Dah! But people die every day in scores. Any kind of accident, war, hunger, or genocide. What is the big deal about this particular case?
    I don't know, maybe it's the fact that a kid who wasn't doing anything wrong died by being crushed by a 30 foot slab of concrete that got me. Maybe it's the fact that it was so close to home, or maybe it's just because I don't feel that war, genocide, and other disasters are the only things that are news worthy.

Personally, I find it a whole lot more important than the fact that it's been a year since Michael Jackson's death. I'm not comparing this to his death, but the anniversary of his death... who was surprised that that happened?

Anyway, it's a big deal to the company who neglected the safety of those who parked in their garage. New info is up on that link btw. Apparently that garage is in need of $600,000 in repairs. That'll hurt the budget a bit.