PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 161 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Personally, I’m looking forward to both, but my limited time is such that I will only really be able to commit to one. My head says SWTOR is likely to be the more successful game: if well implemented, they may even reach their stated target of 2 million + subscribers.

It’s strange though. Every time I fire up the internet to see if there is any new information about either of the games, I always head for GW2 first. I’m not sure why, but GW2 has captured my imagination in a way SWTOR hasn’t quite managed yet. Which isn’t bad bearing in mind how little information there is out there on the game.

In the end though, there’s room for both, and I hope that both games turn out to be success stories.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    As a side note, the big news lately for TOR has been the confirmation of space flight and possibly space battles.

This is gold:

GW2 and SW:TOR are being built for and designed for two totally different business models. GW2 isn't f2p (it is b2p) you must buy the base game, you must buy the expansions (online time is free). Because of GW2's business model, expect a very very large amount of the game 's content to be built around grind-able content (an extremely high level of grind)... for most of your player characters life. With a much smaller budget comes even smaller amounts of content. Without a monthly subscription fee you can expect less frequent content updates and only trivial content updates on top of that (Anet's game support and patching is quite good for what the game offers). No game however with a budget less than a fifth of SWTOR has a snowballs chance in hell of producing the same content level or quality of content.

edit:
    I will buy GW2, I like mindless grinding sometimes, no idea why However SWTOR is a must have on my to buy list along with Witcher 2 and DA2 next year.
    Starts out well enough, right? Yet..He specifically states online time is free, and somehow jumps to the conclusion there will be a lot of grind..Or, an "extremely high level of grind" as he says. This is quite amusing, since it is in sharp contrast with what Anet has said in the past regarding GW1 and has been saying about GW2. While I can understand him not realizing this, since Bioware fans aren't at all likely to follow Anet statements like we do and like we wouldn't with Bioware statements, but the conclusion seems to contradict any logical basis. Logically speaking, the only reason to include large amounts of grind in an online game is if you're trying to keep the playerbase subscribing. Remove this, and there's little to no reason to include grind.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    Or if you introduce OP cash shop items to compensate all the grind, as with every other "free" MMO out there.

Maybe that's the reason he said that.

As a side note, the big news lately for TOR has been the confirmation of space flight and possibly space battles.
    Now that is potentially also very cool if done correctly.

You know the reason why I personally am excited about GW2 is this:

Somewhere in the suggestion thread people were suggesting that they wanted more emergent game play. Emergent game play is that which could develop out of some more basic properties in an abstract sense. It seems to me that GW2 will be the mmo with the most amount of emergent game play. Why is that?

1.) Skills can interact with each other in unpredictable ways.
    2.) The combination of weapons, skills, and traits and team composition creates a complex layer of possible interactions. The devs have only defined boundaries but have not necessarily thought of every single effect combination.
    3.) Personal Story Matrix.
    4.) Dynamic Event Chains are basically events let loose on the world. Event chains can intersect in space and time creating multiple effects on an area. How and when this occurs is not easily predictable.

Btw, a discussion panel for SW:TOR emerged at Comi-Con:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...age_132825.asp

Lots of good information. For me, another striking difference at 25 minutes seems to be: The world in SW:TOR will remain unchanged so that other people behind you can experience the same quest as well.
    Last edited by Thalanor Thornhale; 26-07-2010 at 08:32.

The recent voice-head blog article confirms it for me.

SW:TOR will be fully voiced.
    GW2 will have the equivalent of more than 60 feature-length films.

No other MMORPG has tried this degree of story-telling before. I am really looking forward to see how these 2 games compare!

The bump is not intentional, but I must say that the atmosphere in anticipation is definitely different that what you see for SWTOR now as indicated by the following threads:

1000+ responses of fears of what would ruin SWTOR: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=118253
    Sceptics Thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=34848
    And another thread fearing SWTOR will turn out to be like WoW: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...150412&page=99

Notice: None of those fears that GW2 will be a WoW clone are present in this community (I mean the wider GW2 community not just this forum). Instead, I sense a giddy sense of wanting to play the game "naoooo". It seems that Anet is doing at least a few things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalanor Thornhale View Post
    1000+ responses of fears of what would ruin SWTOR: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=118253
    Actually I think we'd get something similar (with a corrected response count for number of site contributors), just that nobody created such a thread in a moment of downtime yet.
    Also, to be a dick:
    The bump is not intentional,
    Actually, yes it is: intent is established when you've consciously accepted the foreseeable consequences of your action. Quite clearly you foresaw your action (posting) to have this specific consequence (bumping) otherwise you wouldn't have prephased your post with it- you continued with posting a fully formed post (so posting wasn't an accident), so you've consciously accepted the foreseeable consequence of bumping this thread when posting a new post. The bumping was intentional. You probably meant to say, I wish this thread was still alive (tbh, no posts in 5 days isn't very 'dead') or I have a good enough reason to bump (as I have new content relevant to the topic).

Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    Actually, yes it is: intent is established when you've consciously accepted the foreseeable consequences of your action. Quite clearly you foresaw your action (posting) to have this specific consequence (bumping) otherwise you wouldn't have prephased your post with it- you continued with posting a fully formed post (so posting wasn't an accident), so you've consciously accepted the foreseeable consequence of bumping this thread when posting a new post. The bumping was intentional. You probably meant to say, I wish this thread was still alive (tbh, no posts in 5 days isn't very 'dead') or I have a good enough reason to bump (as I have new content relevant to the topic).

Let me guess...litigation attorney irl?

No, law student. Close though.