PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Wink The Mesmer: old speculation & new reveal talk

Well, with 3 professions released including the ranger class, it's very interesting to see how professions of GW1 have been reimagined for GW2. As already you can see in the Ranger profession thread, there is a lot of passion for the ranger class out there.

I don't know about you all, but I personally have always been fond of the Mesmer class.

So...in this light, I am not asking you to speculate whether a mesmer will make a return, or how that profession may turn out. Rather, I am asking how you would REIMAGINE such a class for GW2.
    Last edited by Gorani; 21-05-2011 at 09:10.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Ahhhhh... I would re-imagine the Mesmer to have a lot more interrupts just in the possibility that other classes may not have as many as in GW1... /breath

I would like to see Mesmers have more psychic abilities that influence physical movement such as creating invisible barriers or "pushing" an enemy back a distance from attacking them, etc.

I think it would be cool to raise someone in the air, then slam them into the earth with MY MIND! :p
    Last edited by Смерть; 23-07-2010 at 06:54.

I'd like a bit of the swashbuckler to be factored in as well. I always liked the image of the mesmer for GW that had a rapier. Of course, a rapier never materialized. Since GW2 has a bit more of a Renaissance air to it, I hope that we get something like that for mesmers - so some weapon use other than staves and wands - because something like illusionary weaponry surely must live on in GW2! Think of the eye candy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidri View Post
    I'd like a bit of the swashbuckler to be factored in as well. I always liked the image of the mesmer for GW that had a rapier. Of course, a rapier never materialized. Since GW2 has a bit more of a Renaissance air to it, I hope that we get something like that for mesmers!
    The screenshots of the carnivals in the human cities do seem to be leaning that way but I can't imagine a swashbuckling Charr Mesmer.

A focus on control would be good, although for them to be used in a solo mode they would need some form of direct damage ability.

I see... Mr.Darcy. He lifts objects with his mind, slams them into other people.
    He lets people panic. He lets them cry. With his mindcontrol abilities, he brings dispair to his foes. People who suddenly get clumsy, and cant move because they think they have a heavy burden on their shoulders.

When Mr.Darcy is done casting his hexes, he pulls out his flintlock pistol, and shoots. Shoots till they are all dead.
    Last edited by Nohjo; 23-07-2010 at 09:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Nohjo View Post
    flintlock pistol
    Having mesmers use handguns would actually be pretty cool.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vana View Post
    Having mesmers use handguns would actually be pretty cool.
    I agree, when Nohjo said that, the picture immediately popped into my mind. And IMO, it works wonderfully. You could have your Orlando Bloom lookalike with a pistol. If they gave them rifles (doubt it) you could have your Balthier from FFXII.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I'm seeing mesmers something like this atm:

Main hand: Sword, Wand
    Off hand: Focus, Dagger
    2-hand: Staff

Sword + Dagger: Anti Melee skills + Domination type skills
    Sword + Focus: Anti Melee skills + Illusion type skills
    Wand + Dagger: Anti Caster skills + Domination type skills
    Wand + Focus: Anti Caster skills + Illusion type skills
    Staff: AoE interupt and damage skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Malhavoc Adhamar View Post
    I'm seeing mesmers something like this atm:

Main hand: Sword, Wand
    Off hand: Focus, Dagger
    2-hand: Staff

Sword + Dagger: Anti Melee skills + Domination type skills
    Sword + Focus: Anti Melee skills + Illusion type skills
    Wand + Dagger: Anti Caster skills + Domination type skills
    Wand + Focus: Anti Caster skills + Illusion type skills
    Staff: AoE interupt and damage skills.
    ^^ This fits the playstyle of the original Mesmer very well (except most of the AOE were elite).

Pistols: Armour ignoring direct damage and mana burn.

Mesmers were always my favourite class, but I was never good at interrupts. (Cry of Frustration was the only interrupt I used) I used a lot of disablers, armour ignoring damage, and spell steal/blockers. Mesmers were so much my favourite class that it spoiled me for other MMOs because nothing comes close, so when this game comes out, Mesmer will be #1 on my list to try.

They don't realize you can use interrupts to disrupt offense as easily as disrupting defense?
    Yeah, this quote confused me too. In Guild Wars, monks were impossible to interrupt (fast healing skills, part of the reason I didn't use interrupts on my bar, because I was the one dealing with the monks and I found it better to divert and arcane theivery than to try to intterupt). Interrupts were to target Eles.
    Last edited by shivafang; 06-08-2010 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by shivafang View Post
    Mesmers were always my favourite class, but I was never good at interrupts.
    We will have some fun discussions then when GW2 comes out and if Mesmers will make it into GW2. Remember, this class has not been explicitly confirmed yet.

Btw, I see you recently signed up and this is your first post as well. So I just wanted to welcome you to the GWonline community!

You'll find that this community tends to be more relaxed and more mature than some other places.

This being your first post, I look forward to reading more from you in the future.