PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Eye of Janthir and the Flameseeker Prophecies

I looked through these forums to find out if anyone else had stumbled upon this, but I think nobody has. I noticed that the Flameseeker Prophecies book (which can be acquired) has the mysterious "eye symbol" on it, which we can only assume is the Eye of Janthir:

Furthermore, I have always been interested in the red gems that are used in some of the White Mantle/Mursaat shrines. I never thought much of it, but with the introduction of the Oppressor's weapons, I think there may be more to this:

I'm not sure how all this is put together, but I'm working on it. Maybe you guys can offer some insight :)
    Last edited by Nayru; 23-07-2010 at 17:41.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    I have not been keeping up with the lore forums recently, but I would not be surprised to see some of this not discussed already.

First of, good eye. Maybe the red stones are chips from the bloodstones themselves? Hence how they radiate with power.

Maybe the book has the eye symbol on it because the Mursaat were the first ones to beat to free the bloodstones (the Lich second); but I am clueless really about this one.
    Last edited by Смерть; 23-07-2010 at 18:58.

The Eye of Janthir, from what I recall, has been connected to the inscriptions you circle for years. However, it has also been rather dubious due to one's ability to find them on pillars outside the Hall of Judgment in the Underworld. Nevertheless, the observation of the red gems, which I had noticed but assumed was merely a bit of a vanity item, may hold some significance, what though, is the question.

Also, on the topic of the so-called Eye of Janthir inscription being on the Flameseeker Prophecies book...Since we don't know what those inscriptions mean to begin with, it's hard to say why it was also applied to the book.

The book is unrelated. Linsey stated in the past (forgot where, might have been in-game) that the symbol was chosen simply because it can be seen throughout Prophecies.

Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb View Post
    First of, good eye. Maybe the red stones are chips from the bloodstones themselves? Hence how they radiate with power.
    That's what I thought at first, but the Bloodstones aren't really bright red. Every time a red gem is seen, it is used to symbolize the Eye of Janthir. So I think the gems, whatever they are, are somehow related to Janthir.

The mursaat are good at manipulating crystals/stones as in the soul batteries, ether seals or the jade armors/bows. Perhaps these red gems were made by the mursaat and given to the white mantle as rewards. After all, they had to be paying the white mantle somehow, fervent loyalty only goes so far with some people. To be extra macabre, maybe those gems contain souls or fragments of souls that make that nice, steady glow. Now that would be oppressive :)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayru View Post
    That's what I thought at first, but the Bloodstones aren't really bright red. Every time a red gem is seen, it is used to symbolize the Eye of Janthir. So I think the gems, whatever they are, are somehow related to Janthir.
    I do agree that the red gems symbolize the Eye of Janthir, it being such a strong symbol not only personal Mantle initiation, but of the Unseen Gods themselves.

I questioned whether the red gems came from the bloodstones or not due to the bright red tops of the (I am left to speculate come from the bloodstones) of the Mursaat structures as in the following image:

How the tops got brighter red is beyond me. Maybe the chunk of bloodstone is growing and that is new development? If so, then it might contain a weaker portion of power {Section Edited Out (ty Gmr Leon for correcting)}, which also leads me to...

I think since the Mursaat were deriving power from the bloodstones they had a "bond" with the stones out of that. By inserting pieces of the bloodstone in the weapons of their followers (the brigher red portion because it contained less potent magical forces and probably bearable by humans), the Mursaat are not only able to imbue the White Mantle maybe with some extra powers in their fighting, but it could also be a means of tracking and keeping tabs on their followers, not only physically, but mentally by scanning their intent and allegiance as well.

I noticed that the "White Mantle" spies for Salma in the WiK did not have any weapons with the red gems in them.
    Last edited by Смерть; 24-07-2010 at 01:34.

A minor correction here, Gadd didn't die from being too close to the Bloodstones, he died from trying to run too much power through the crystal arrays in one of the golem's power cores to assist in our fight against the Destroyers during G.O.L.E.M.

Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb View Post
    By inserting pieces of the bloodstone in the weapons of their followers (the brigher red portion because it contained less potent magical forces and probably bearable by humans), the Mursaat are not only able to imbue the White Mantle maybe with some extra powers in their fighting
    I think that's the most logical conclusion we can draw. It is noticable that the White Mantle became much more powerful as a military force after Isaiah replaced Dorian. I know Anet had to make them tougher so as to make the WiK challenging, but nevertheless, I think it holds some significance lore-wise aswell.

It wouldn't surprise me that after having most of their brethren slain and Salma now rising to reclaim the throne, the Mursaat would resort to more extreme measures, and indeed use some sort of gem to empower their followers. The White Mantle went from random, ordinary weapons to suddenly all wielding the same type of weapons. Anet could have just let it the way it was. So I think there's more going on.
    Last edited by Nayru; 24-07-2010 at 10:22.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayru View Post
    It is noticable that the White Mantle became much more powerful as a military force after Isaiah replaced Dorian.
    Is this really a surprise? Our travels over the years have made us much more powerful. The Mantle are also more widely-traveled now. Aside from S. Shiverpeaks, Ring of Fire, and Tarnished Coast, they may well have sent some of their members to Cantha and Elona to train and bring back new techniques. (Where did all those white tigers come from?) They have learned, just as we did, and now have new skills for their core professions plus picking up the tricks of rits, sins, dervs, and paragons.

So their power has grown over the years quite naturally and does not require any gems handed out by the mursaat to explain it.