PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bloodstone Inscription

I was doing Aurora Glade today, and I noticed that part of the bloodstone inscription is used on the... whatever it is

Anyway, I'm not sure if this has been noticed yet, but I find it very strange. It implies the Shining Blade know of the inscription, but why would they use it in such a strange way? It's odd they would use it as decoration considering how many blood has been spilled on the bloodstones.

Spoiler

Spoiler
    Last edited by Gmr Leon; 25-07-2010 at 20:13. Reason: When posting with large images, wrap them in [spoiler]image url/link[/spoiler] tags.

That's actually quite fascinating...I don't think that's ever been noticed in either of the lore forums. I'm not precisely sure what that may mean though, or if the Shining Blade put it there themselves or if that was a remnant from whoever was originally there. The only problem there is that that means either the centaurs of the area, or the Druids, but neither have been suggested or even hinted at being associated with the Bloodstones for all we know.

Very nice find though.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    The usage is not necessarily decorative.

It surely took the Shining Blade some time to learn where the Chosen were being taken and what was being done to them. Perhaps at some point an SB spy managed to get close enough to the Bloodstone to examine the inscriptions. Either he made a copy at that time, or memorized it carefully so that he could draw it when he made his report. The result was then posted at the SB camp so that their mages could study it to determine its purpose, and so that other spies could learn to recognize it if they encountered it elsewhere.

Inscribing the copy on a piece of hide seems much more practical given the available technology and the circumstances. How much paper does a rag-tag band of medieval rebels carry around with them while skulking through jungles? How well would a scroll hold up stuck on a framework out there in a wilderness camp?

(BTW: I concur -- this is a great find.)

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    The usage is not necessarily decorative.

It surely took the Shining Blade some time to learn where the Chosen were being taken and what was being done to them. Perhaps at some point an SB spy managed to get close enough to the Bloodstone to examine the inscriptions. Either he made a copy at that time, or memorized it carefully so that he could draw it when he made his report. The result was then posted at the SB camp so that their mages could study it to determine its purpose, and so that other spies could learn to recognize it if they encountered it elsewhere.
    Well, the Shining Blade obviously knew about the bloodstone, since their effort to rescue the Chosen had been going on for a while. As for the inscription itself, doing the Bloodstone Fen mission gives some clear views of the Bloodstone, and of the inscription, and Shining Blade scouts are nearby. So they could have very easily copied it. Additionally, I don't think the Bloodstone is guarded by the White Mantle 24/7, so I'm sure the Shining Blade had time enough to study the stone.

About the usage of the inscription, I think it's the Shining Blade equivalent to the (stylized) Mursaat symbol used by the Mantle. The Mantle use it because the Mursaat are their Gods, and basically their reason to be. I think the Shining Blade use the inscription to symbolize the bloodstone and the slaughtering of innocent Krytans that goes on there. The Mantle have their symbol to remind people of the Unseen Ones, to incite fear, and the Shining Blade have their symbol to invoke anger and revenge.

On a side note, Mantle Knight Karrya stands on the same kind of "speaker's stand" (can't think of a word for it) as the picture I posted, but the Mantle equivalent of it with a stylized Mursaat. Just to draw a parallel.

(ty Leon for fixing my pictures)

Very interesting find.

My opinion however is that they are markers. Meant to point the way to the Bloodstone should they need to go there and they get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Konig Des Todes View Post
    Very interesting find.

My opinion however is that they are markers. Meant to point the way to the Bloodstone should they need to go there and they get lost.
    But a marker would be more like a signpost or something. This is clearly a sort of elevated stand for people giving a speech or something. It's obviously more than a marker when it's used in a context that involves large crowds, I think.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayru View Post
    This is clearly a sort of elevated stand for people giving a speech or something. It's obviously more than a marker when it's used in a context that involves large crowds, I think.
    Here is the picture from Bloodstone Fen:

A note, Nayru, while talking a bit to Konig in-game the other day, I checked out his idea, to see if they may be markers, and they're certainly not. The one in the Wilds points further into the mission area, the one in Bloodstone Fen points to the east away from the Bloodstone, and I want to say the one in Aurora Glade points south or southeast, but I can't completely recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmr Leon View Post
    A note, Nayru, while talking a bit to Konig in-game the other day, I checked out his idea, to see if they may be markers, and they're certainly not. The one in the Wilds points further into the mission area, the one in Bloodstone Fen points to the east away from the Bloodstone, and I want to say the one in Aurora Glade points south or southeast, but I can't completely recall.
    Cool for checking that out

Well, I think the picture CMEPTb posted makes it clear on what it is. But what that means for the inscription though, I'm not sure. Seems a bit weird they would casually use it as decoration, considering the circumstances involving this inscription.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Nice find!

Gmr - so those markers exist in more than one place? Were those all on a similiar "stand" as in the OP?