PC Gaming News

The White Mantle Circle

To my knowledge, I don't think there's ever been an explanation for the strange symbol that is used on some of the White Mantle armor:

I was doing Bloodstone Fen today, and I noticed these strange, yellow circles. Right after the Chosen are killed, these jagged circles appear for an instant above their bodies. I don't know, but I kinda see a resemblence:

Spoiler
    Last edited by Nayru; 28-07-2010 at 23:38.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    You have special eyes, or are obviously working for the Unseen Ones /Dimantle!

Interesting with all the items that have been popping up. Time to look into the White Mantle and Mursaat symbolism a bit more!

Time to break apart the
    Spoiler

You know, I don't think I see those markings on the original (going to the place now to check them out), maybe they only show when the markings are activated?
    Last edited by Смерть; 27-07-2010 at 01:00.

Yet another comparison I haven't seen made before. The last comparison I saw between the markings on the Mantle's armour was with that of the Temples of Balthazar and Grenth, but this seems much more plausible. The only flaw I see is the absence of an inner spike on the armour's marking, which can be seen in the glowing mark.

Also, CMEPTb, what do you mean? I'm having difficulty following that last line. The glowing markings that Nayru notes appear only after the sacrifice, and briefly at that, if I'm not mistaken, and as such are not actually part of the Bloodstone inscriptions themselves.

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Gmr Leon View Post
    Also, CMEPTb, what do you mean? I'm having difficulty following that last line. The glowing markings that Nayru notes appear only after the sacrifice, and briefly at that, if I'm not mistaken, and as such are not actually part of the Bloodstone inscriptions themselves.
    Yea, I noticed they were not on the bloodstone inscription either, and that they showed when the inscription was activated.

I check on wiki and it seems that mark continues on with the new white mantle additions of the WiK also.

I have just seen it on melee so far, unless someone has spotted it also on casters?
    Last edited by Смерть; 27-07-2010 at 01:58.

The only flaw I see is the absence of an inner spike on the armour's marking, which can be seen in the glowing mark.
    Yea, I just noticed the inner spike. But the markings in the temples of Grenth and Balthazar you refer to also have inner spikes:

(I assume you're referring to this)

It's possible that the symbol was inspired by both these circles. They do look alike, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb
    I have just seen it on melee so far, unless someone has spotted it also on casters?
    Only on the warriors to my knowledge. It's strange that only warriors would carry this symbol. But then again, when the Chosen are sacrificed, they are surrounded by a large circle of only warriors. Maybe that has some significance.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb
    You have special eyes, or are obviously working for the Unseen Ones /Dimantle!
    Yes, I'm a secret Mursaat agent (I wish)
    Last edited by Nayru; 27-07-2010 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayru View Post
    Yea, I just noticed the inner spike. But the markings in the temples of Grenth and Balthazar you refer to also have inner spikes:

(I assume you're referring to this)

It's possible that the symbol was inspired by both these circles. They do look alike, I think.
    It might be a stylistic difference in both we see on armour and on the Temples...Although it somewhat strikes me that that may be stretching it a bit on one of the two. On which, or if both, I'm not sure.

It might be a stylistic difference in both we see on armour and on the Temples...Although it somewhat strikes me that that may be stretching it a bit on one of the two. On which, or if both, I'm not sure.
    Possibly yes. But I haven't really made any definite assumptions or conclusions about the markings in the temples yet. But I don't consider citing the yellow circles as an inspiration for the symbol to be a stretch. There's only two things that define the White Mantle as an order: the Mursaat and the sacrificing of the Chosen. Naturally, if they were to wear any symbols, it would be of those two things. The Mursaat symbol we all know is worn on their capes and badges, and I believe that the circle we see represents the sacrifice.

Also, the Mantle are clearly present when the circles appear and the circumstances in which they do, are very powerful to say the least.

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Nayru View Post
    Only on the warriors to my knowledge. It's strange that only warriors would carry this symbol. But then again, when the Chosen are sacrificed, they are surrounded by a large circle of only warriors. Maybe that has some significance.
    I think the guards are there just to prevent the Chosen from running away (if they could anyway).

The White Mantle Seeker also has the symbol on his arm:

Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb View Post
    The White Mantle Seeker also has the symbol on his arm:
    And on his boots I see. Okay, so they're not exclusive to warriors