PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]

Mursaat - Operation of Bloodstones

Getting excited after reading Nayru's thread posts, I got back to pondering GW lore and have a question.

How did the Mursaat actually use the Bloodstones?

An already known observation is how the "souls" of the sacrificed in Bloodstone Fen travel through the inscription into into the pieces of floating "soul batteries" above:

What and where did those floating stones come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Konig Des Todes View Post
    Those floating stones are called "soul batteries" - they store the souls of the chosen to be used elsewhere. Including Leah Stone and the souls fought in Abaddon's Mouth at the end. It appears each soul battery can store about 10 souls (about five hostiles come out of the destroyed soul batteries, along with 5 "incorporeal" soul of similar design to the ones coming out of the Door of Komalie once opened).
    There is a difference between those at Hell's Precipice...

5:37
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVh10Y155_A

... and those used by the Mursaat. The difference is the "natural" ones from the Hell's Precipice cut scene only have one point on top while those used by the Mursaat have seven points. We see this seven point pattern in other structures of the Mursaat as well:

Spoiler

You can also compare the bright top of the floating constructs to this one on the ground:

Spoiler

(This one in particular also shares the same symbol as the door in this cut-scene:
    Spoiler
    )*

And connected to an ether seal:
    Spoiler

Which also looks like this White Mantle Dress (and probably incorporated in different ways amongst the other weird looking White Mantle armor types):

I would assume the obvious that the Mursaat are using the Bloodstones "unnaturally", but what are they doing to get this unnatural abuse of power to work?

I have not been keeping track, but does the number seven come up a lot in GW lore? It might just be coincidence too.

*And as already probably been seen, the same mark matches the back of jades (jades also having seven spikes (their head being one)) and that of ether seals.

**Which small purple flurries of energy resemble:
    Spoiler
    Last edited by Смерть; 27-07-2010 at 03:24. Reason: Revision after Konig Des Todes's post.

Those floating stones are called "soul batteries" - they store the souls of the chosen to be used elsewhere. Including Leah Stone and the souls fought in Abaddon's Mouth at the end. It appears each soul battery can store about 10 souls (about five hostiles come out of the destroyed soul batteries, along with 5 "incorporeal" soul of similar design to the ones coming out of the Door of Komalie once opened).

It is surmised that they come from the Ring of Fire Islands, where we can see a dock with quite a few of those stones in racks.

The soul batteries are indeed on top of the bloodstone in Hell's Precipice, however they only appear as you kill Khilbron, or before you destroy the Ether Seals in Abaddon's Mouth. In the outposts, they have been destroyed.

To the bloodstone in Bloodstone Fen - it appears that the inscriptions are used to "deliver" the souls from the bodies to the soul batteries (as can see in the cinematic or during the Olias quest, the inscriptions light up going to the circles where the soul batteries float over).

It is my personal view that the Ether Seals "seal" (hence the term?) in souls behind them, as seen with Leah Stone and then later the maddened spirits on top of the bloodstone. Likewise, the Mursaat Tokens - which have the same design as the Ether Seals - could be holding in souls in other locations, if not within the token themselves, such as in the various jade constructs (armors, bows, and cloaks).

And the only number that re-occurs a lot in GW lore, to my observation, is five.
    Last edited by Konig Des Todes; 27-07-2010 at 02:41.

Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb View Post
    You can also compare the bright top of the floating constructs to this one on the ground:

Spoiler
    Just a note, to prevent confusion, those aren't to be mistaken as being Soul Batteries. To my knowledge, there isn't anything particularly associated with the number seven in Tyria. Although the different spike structures on them may be associated with their differing functions, but it's difficult to really prove that one way or another.

I assume the floating soul batteries above the bloodstone were placed there by the Mursaat. When the Old Gods made the Bloodstone, shattered it into different pieces and spread them across Tyria, I don't think they conveniently equipped them with ready-to-use soul batteries. Also, because they greatly resemble the Mursaat themselves, I think they are both made and placed there by the Mursaat.

On a sidenote, has anyone noticed the fact that the Bloodstone in the Maguuma Jungle only "activates" when the Chosen are being killed? We slay Hablion and other White Mantle atop the Bloodstone, but that doesn't seem to activate it. So Janthir is indirectly connected to the Bloodstones, and therefore the Old Gods.
    Last edited by Nayru; 27-07-2010 at 12:52.

I'm not quite sure I see the connection, unless you're implying an artifact from the time of the Gods' presence. As to why the Mantle we kill on the Bloodstone don't trigger it, it's because they are unrelated to Doric. Albeit a bit..Cloudy, at times, the lore mentions that Doric and his descendants must protect the Bloodstones, and the Gods used his blood to seal them. However, this becomes messy when it seems to activate upon our killing of the Lich, who is never suggested to be one of the Chosen, from what I'm aware.

Also, yes, the Soul Batteries, from all the evidence we have, are suggested to be purely of Mursaat construction and design, and mainly come from the Ring of Fire Islands Chain, but may potentially come from other areas that have the necessary materials for their creation.

Er... you mean chosen - the idea that the chosen are descended from Doric is speculation, Leon.

I personally think that it is a game mechanic more than anything. The "activation" - and note, it is only an activation of the runes which means the souls are being put into the soul batteries, the bloodstone itself doesn't have to be activated when the runes light up - is caused by a specific coding. In the mission, it appears only once - when the chosen are killed (in fact, also shown a few times from when you see the bloodstone at a distance, I believe, when an earlier group of chosen are killed); in the quest for Olias, the inscriptions are constantly relighting.

Also, to note, that it may be due to the soul batteries being full with that group of chosen. Full batteries may mean that the bloodstone's inscriptions don't activate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmr Leon View Post
    I'm not quite sure I see the connection, unless you're implying an artifact from the time of the Gods' presence. As to why the Mantle we kill on the Bloodstone don't trigger it, it's because they are unrelated to Doric. Albeit a bit..Cloudy, at times, the lore mentions that Doric and his descendants must protect the Bloodstones, and the Gods used his blood to seal them. However, this becomes messy when it seems to activate upon our killing of the Lich, who is never suggested to be one of the Chosen, from what I'm aware.
    The story is rather vague about it, but it's never specifically said that Doric's descendants must be sacrificed. It's said they "must carry the burden of protecting the stones". I don't see how being sacrificed protects the stones in any way. So I honestly don't think the Chosen are Doric's descendents. The Chosen are selected by the Eye of Janthir, who identifies them as having the gift of True Sight. I think this gift that the Chosen have is what activates the bloodstone, not their blood. So Janthir is connected to the Bloodstone and therefore the Old Gods, they made it.

But if you stick to your version, there's also a connection between them because the gift of True Sight is related to both Janthir, through the Eye and the Chosen, and the Old Gods, through ascension.

I see what you're saying...Fascinating, to say the least. It's certainly true that it doesn't say they must be sacrificed (hence protect, not sacrifice to maintain the seal on them). However, the Eye of Janthir selecting the Chosen strikes me as a bit off, rather it detects, following what you say of it identifying those with the Gift of True Sight. If your thoughts are correct, that the Gods made the Eye...That casts a whole new perspective on things, alongside the ideas that the Isle of Janthir and the Ring of Fire Island Chains (based on descriptions of the Eye's origin) are one in the same.

What's even more interesting is the idea that it is not their blood, but the gift, albeit this isn't entirely different since a few of the ideas floating about have been to do with it being something about their souls being better at maintaining a charge in the Soul Batteries or something of that sort.

Hmmm, the Eye being made by the Gods? That's an interesting thought...

If so, then could it be possible Janthir is a section of Orr, that has become an isle due to the Cataclysm?

I would still have to say it isn't the blood, but rather the souls, which are activating those inscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmr Leon View Post
    However, the Eye of Janthir selecting the Chosen strikes me as a bit off, rather it detects, following what you say of it identifying those with the Gift of True Sight.
    Yes, detecting would be a more appropriate word

The connection between Janthir and the Old Gods is something I've always contemplated, because alot of things point in that direction.

We know that the Eye of Janthir detects those who possess the gift of True Sight. We also know that the gift of True Sight is received after ascending. Pretty obvious connection. Now, they could be two seperate gifts, but the following suggests otherwise:

Ascension

1. Cleansing
    Ghostly Hero: "Before you can Ascend and enter the Rift, you must first be cleansed."
    Ghostly Hero: "Lead me safely to the Rune Circle at the end of this test, and I will cast the ritual to burn away your earthly imperfections."
    Ghostly Hero: "Under the scrutiny of the gods, your souls will be pure, your bodies cleansed."

2. Judging.
    Lord Valodor: "You are now cleansed and prepared to be judged."
    Ghostly Hero: "The Temple of Ascension is where the gods focus their gaze when they look down upon Tyria."
    Ghostly Hero: "Those standing upon the throne will be judged."

Test of the Chosen

1. Cleansing
    Justiciar Hablion: "But first you must cleanse yourselves in the Fountain of Truth up on the hill to the southeast. Return here once you have been cleansed."

2. Judging
    Justiciar Hablion: "All those whom you come in contact with will be judged by the Eye"
    Justiciar Hablion: "This is the Eye of Janthir. It has the power to see inside a person and discern his or her magical aptitude. Those it gazes upon will be judged."

See the parallel between the two? It's always about two things: cleansing yourself first (Fountain of Truth vs Rune Circle), and then being judged (the Eye of Janthir vs the Gaze of the Gods).

We also have Divinity Coast vs Divinity Reach, etc.
    Last edited by Nayru; 28-07-2010 at 12:20.