GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Yi Mor View Post
    Like Palestine/Israel?
    I think that might be a closer model, yes. Two politically-autonomous groups squabbling over who has the better right to jurisdiction over a particular territory. Or, perhaps more akin to Mexico attacking Texas to reclaim its former territory. Hardly a case that could legitimately be described as Mexico putting down an insurrection, and the Texans would certainly not describe their resistance as a war of independence.

Sylvari notes/observations.

Spoiler
    Last edited by Dragina; 05-08-2010 at 02:35.

so the claw is an ungue. Now what exactly is an ungue? It has no known weapon definition in any language I could find. In latin it is a balm or salve.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Discussing the observations/notes above.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Seamussheridan View Post
    so the claw is an ungue. Now what exactly is an ungue? It has no known weapon definition in any language I could find. In latin it is a balm or salve.
    Ungues > ungulas (French ongle, Italian unghia, Spanish uņa, Portuguese unha, Galician both uņa and unlla, Romanian unghie, Catalan ungla, "fingernail", diminutive of unguis)

Vulgar Latin.

Based on this, I believe an ungue is simply the colloquial Latin term for fingernails, the proper form being ungulas. In other words, for a charr, the Claw of Khan-Ur being an ungue is basically like a weapon made of the Khan-Ur's claws or one of its claws. If there existed a human artifact to compare it to, it would probably be the Fingernail of King Doric, an ungue made of Doric's fingernails.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    the latin expression ex ungue leonem translates into By the claw the lion is revealed.

source: http://www.answers.com/topic/ex-ungue-leonem

I don't believe the weapon itself is necessarily made of Khan-Ur's actual claws but are more of symbolic replica of his claws since the name itself has became a title - there have been several Khan-Urs throughout the Charr history. In order to become the Khan-Ur, the aspiring charr had to possess the weapon.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Barinthus View Post
    Spoiler
    Discussing asura involved in the War in Kryta and materials involved in golemancy.
    Spoiler
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Good connections.

I haven't completed WiK yet and haven't visited their lab in Divinity Coast yet although.

Quote Originally Posted by seamussheridan View Post

Ungues of the Forgotten. There's another dagger set from GW1 called Ungues of the Oni (or something of the like). However, the Claw of the Khan-Ur's back to blades point backwards, it would seem.

According to the notes on wiki:

"Ungues is the plural of Unguis, meaning a claw, hoof or nail, or any sharp protuberance made of Keratin (mostly on insects)."

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    Spoiler
    That wasn't a ruby in the WiK - that was blue, and not fist size.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Konig Des Todes View Post
    That wasn't a ruby in the WiK - that was blue, and not fist size.
    Yes, but I presume Blimm and Zinn had some extra time to develop before they died...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)