PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

Manifesto Reactions - Story line

So from the MMO manifesto reactions article I'm not sure if I'm getting this right:

You kill a boss it stays dead for you but not for others. So... if you let a NPC town get over run and destroyed it will stay destroyed in your story but not for anyone else? So in other words a lot of phasing for each player. If thats correct then I'm not sure how thats going to work for people that play with friends etc.

I may have this all completely wrong lol.

You got it wrong. If you let a town get overrun by monsters, all the NPC's will be killed and the town will be full monsters, not just for you, but for everyone on the server. If you find a scroll and open a portal to a dimension full of demons, they will start invading and everyone will have be able to see the demons flying around and killing stuff. Instancing will only be used in your personal story missions, and decisions made there will have no affect on others.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    The personal storyline takes place in instanced areas. Whatever happens in your storyline does not affect the storylines of any friends you have with you, because they each have their own "copy" of the area. The instance that you enter is determined by whoever is the leader of the party. If you are the leader, then the party will be helping with your storyline in your instance. If someone else is the leader, then you will be helping them in their instance.

Think about the quest "Straight to the Top" in Factions, where you are asked to kill the leader of the Jade Brotherhood in the Marketplace. Once you kill that boss, he's gone for good for your storyline. If you have friends along that have not done that quest, they can still take the quest later for themselves, and the boss will be there for their party.

You should read

http://www.arena.net/blog/mmo-manifesto-reactions

Eric: Thanks, Dave. Yeah, in the video Ree is speaking about the player’s personal story, whereas Colin is talking about dynamic events. We like to think of personal story choices being permanent and dynamic event choices being persistent. The difference being persistent choices will remain until something comes along and changes them. So for instance, in the personal story you may choose to let an NPC die, that NPC is likely to be an important story NPC that the player feels some attachment to, their death will be permanent and will have repercussions on the characters story. This would be reflected in instances. In the persistent world a dynamic event might result in an NPC being killed. This will be a more generic NPC like a merchant or a soldier who will likely be replaced once some other event takes place.

Colin: Right, when Ree refers to, “players will kill a boss and they won’t re-spawn 10 minutes later,” she is saying when playing through your personal story line if you kill a boss, that boss will stay dead and your personal story will reflect this. It’s not really physically possible to make each dynamic event permanent, because the game needs enough content for everyone to play, and we don’t have 10,000 people making content for Guild Wars 2, event chains need to cycle and events need to repeat to ensure players have enough to do in the persistent game world. Our goal with events is to ensure that when an event ends, you feel like it actually has some sort of outcome on the game world for all players, if even for a short period of time, where traditional MMO quest in persistent areas generally have no affect on the world.

The idea of personalized content was also seen in WoW ,wrath of lich king . They called that tecnique "phasing " and obviously GW 2 will be using it as well. That's what they mean with this bit :
    Colin: Right, when Ree refers to, “players will kill a boss and they won’t re-spawn 10 minutes later,” she is saying when playing through your personal story line if you kill a boss, that boss will stay dead and your personal story will reflect this. It’s not really physically possible to make each dynamic event permanent, because the game needs enough content for everyone to play, and we don’t have 10,000 people making content for Guild Wars 2, event chains need to cycle and events need to repeat to ensure players have enough to do in the persistent game world. Our goal with events is to ensure that when an event ends, you feel like it actually has some sort of outcome on the game world for all players, if even for a short period of time, where traditional MMO quest in persistent areas generally have no affect on the world.
    That is the essence of phasing .What I'm wondering is on what scale they perceive to accomplish this . Developers for Blizzard already stated it was incredibly hard to make the game run fluently as transitions between persistent and "phased " world took place . You have a - sort of - parrallel persistent world for each player. You don't have to be a genius to realize that's indeed incredibly hard . Blizzard in fact concluded it wasn't possible on a huge scale ( mostly due to hardware constraints as well as connectivity issues : you can probably do it in terms of hardware but it would be no good if the game would be streamed at 1 FPS ) .

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    GW2 won't use phasing afaik. It'll use instances, which is really easy, in fact it's what GW1 primarily uses (with towns being the only "persistent" areas).
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Alaris: you should know better then saying that GW 2 will be instanced.

There will be instances for the storyline based events (the phasing Alexia) talks about. But for the most part the world will be persistent. And for non-storyline events if you wipe out a group of centaurs and come back 3 days later it's possible the centaurs are back.

If you kill Zaitan (in your personal storyline) every npc will know that he's dead and that you did it!

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Qanar: sorry, that's what I meant. Instead of phasing (which is afaik big and clunky), it'll use instancing when it needs to. It'll use persistence everywhere else.

I don't know yet what will be the proportion of instancing and persistent. I would assume storyline missions and all dungeons will be instanced. I'd think that there will be much more instancing than in regular MMOs. Afterall, the WoW players I talked to say that the endgame instances are the best part of WoW.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    Phasing and instances are not the same thing.

Close enough, but not the same.

Phasing will change the way you see things in a persistent world. In other words, you'll still see people running around but the game objects (NPcs, monsters, textures, etc) will only be seen by you. Other players will see different things depending on their progress.

Instancing creates a parallel world outside the persistent world. You won't see other players besides yourself (and your party) and your instanced world will change depending on your progress. Persistent world will not suffer any changes.

--------

GW2 will use a persistent world with instances.

As it's been said in Anet's blog:

For example, when Ree says in the video that players can permanently change their world, she’s talking about making a permanent impact on a player’s personal story, which is reflected in instances, particularly a player’s home instance.
    I've highlighted the important parts.

There is a chance that Anet misused the word phasing for instancing, but I highly doubt it.

So Alexia...yeah...next time, do your homework.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Also, with phasing, sometimes players don't see other players that are phased-out. I really don't get why phasing was implemented in the first place, what's the advantage over instances or just implementing each area version in separate maps? Seems that you layer additional computations just to keep everything separate. Clunky.
    == Alaris & clone ==