Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]

Post Ranger Preview

Good dog! Hold the enemy down while I shoot them! You get a biscuit

The ranger is a nature-themed adventurer profession which combines their use of pets with mobile combat and a focus on ranged attacks. The ranger can use a wide variety of weapons, but they tend to favour bows. Their repertoire of utility skills focuses on pet buffs, traps and spirits of nature.

The unique profession ability for the ranger is their three named, controllable pets. Most of the time a ranger only has access to one of their pets, but they can swap them outside of combat or through the use of utility skills.

The pet's level is based off that of the ranger. In addition to this they have an evolution which advances if they are the active pet and the ranger gains experience. As the pet gains evolution levels they unlock up to four special abilities which depend on the type of the pet.

There are 12 pet types and these are divided into three categories:
    * Amphibious pets
    Bear
    Dog
    Drake
    Lizard
    Snow leopard
    Wolf
    * Aquatic pets
    Armorfish
    Jellyfish
    Shark
    * Terrestrial pets
    Devourer
    Moa
    Spider
    Terrestrial can only be used on land, aquatic only in the water and amphibious can be used on both terrains. Each type of pet also has it's own sub types, which have variations of the type's skills. Example of this is the polar bear having Icy Roar.

To tame a pet the Ranger has to find the juvenile version of the type they want. When they approach the would be pet a contextual skill appears, allowing the Ranger to charm the pet if they have a free pet slot.

A pet's base health, armour, and damage are based on the level of the ranger that has bonded with it. This means that its basic abilities always match the ranger's level. In addition to this, the pet evolves over time through 20 evolution levels as the ranger gains experience while the pet is active.

Evolution gives the ranger ways to customize their pets. Each evolution level gives automatic bonuses to the pet, such as health or damage. There are also four ability slots which unlock at levels 5, 10, 15 and 20[ during the evolution. The ranger can then assign active pet skills into these. The skills are unique for the species, for example the moa has squawks which can buff, but another pet might have skills which emphasize damage. All eight skills for a pet are available from evolution level one, so no skill unlocks are required in addition to the slot unlock.

In combat pets have their own skills they can use, as currently known from GamesCom:

Bear
    Brown bear

Fearsome Roar: Causes weakness
    Polar bear
    Icy Roar: Deals cold damage
    Dog

Growl: Weaken an enemy by growling. 20s recharge.
    Power Bite: Bite an enemy for extra damage. 6s recharge
    Snarl: Snarl at an enemy to make them vulnerable. 20s recharge.
    Rending Lunge: Leap at an enemy and make them bleed. 10s recharge.
    Brutal Charge: Leap at an enemy. 10s recharge.
    Protective Stance: Gain stability. 30s recharge.
    Howl: Howl to grant might to allies.
    Drake
    Salamander Drake
    Fire Breath

Dragon's Roar: Cause weakness
    Elemental Shake-off:
    Evade
    Forceful Bite: Powerfully bite an enemy
    Passive Regeneration
    Tail Lash
    Along with these skills the Ranger can set the pet to be aggressive (attacks targets on sight), defensive (attacks what you attack/whatever is attacking you) and passive (doesn't attack unless commanded to) and is able to give the pet basic commands, attack, heel and stay.

The Ranger's skill list, as currently known from GamesCom
    Longbow skills

Barrage: Shoot a barrage of arrows down on a targeted area, 30 second recharge.
    Long Range Shot: Shoot an enemy at long range,1 energy and 0 second recharge.
    Point Blank Shot: Shoot an arrow to knock back an enemy that gets too close.
    Poison Arrow: Shoots a poisonous arrow at an enemy, 10 second recharge.
    Rapid Fire: Hold down to rapidly shoot arrows at a single enemy, 10 second recharge.

Shortbow skills

Concussion Shot: Shoot an arrow to daze an enemy. To stun enemies, hit them from behind. 35 second recharge.
    Crippling Shot: Cripple your enemy with a single arrow, 20 second recharge.
    Crossfire: Shoot an arrow that does more damage if it strikes an enemy from behind or the sides. This skill recharges instantly.
    Quickshot: Fire a quick shot and then retreat, 15 second recharge.
    Spread Shot: Shoot a group of arrows in a targeted spread pattern, 8 second recharge.
    Axe skills
    Main Hand
    Ricochet: Throw your axe, to bounce it off multiple enemies. This skill recharges instantly.
    Splitblade: Throw a group of axes in a targeted spread pattern. 8 second recharge.
    Staggering Throw: Knock an enemy back with a thrown axe, 20 second recharge.
    Off Hand
    Path of Scars: Throw your axe such that it flies back to you, hitting a number of enemies along the way. 20 second recharge.
    Whirling Defence: Hold to reflect projectiles while hitting the enemies around you.
    Dagger skills
    Poison Stab: Stab your enemy with a poisonous dagger.
    Throw Dagger: Throw a dagger to cripple an enemy
    Sword skills

Hornet Sting: Strike quickly at an enemy, then jump backwards.
    Serpent Strike: Move like a serpent to hit your enemy with a poisonous attack from behind.
    Slash: Slash at your enemy. First part of Slash chain: Slash → unknown kick skill → unkown leap skill

Torch skills

Bonfire: Light the ground on fire to burn the enemies caught within.
    Throw Torch: Throw your burning torch at an enemy.
    Warhorn skills

Call of the Wild: Sound the call of the wild to grant fury, might and swiftness to you and your allies.
    Hunter's Call Hunter's Call: Call a flock of birds to swarm your enemy.
    Other skills
    Healing

Heal as One: Heal yourself and your pet, 12 second recharge.
    Healing Spring: Grant health regeneration to you and nearby allies, 20 second recharge.
    Utility
    General

Comfort Animal: Comfort your pet to heal it, remove conditions, or revive it. 120 second recharge.
    Feral Signet: Passive: Your pet deals more damage. Active: Your pet's attacks are critical for 10 seconds. 120 second recharge.
    Lightning Reflexes: Gain swiftness and fury.
    Tracking: Temporarily reveals enemies on the minimap and increases perception. 240 second recharge.
    Trap skills

Dust Trap
    Frost Trap: Set a trap that freezes enemies. 222 Energy. 30 second recharge.
    Spike Trap: Set a trap to knock down, bleed and cripple your enemies.
    Viper's Nest
    Spirit skills
    Sun Spirit
    Elite skills

Alpha Strike
    Rampage As One: Rampage with your pet, running 50% faster, dealing 100% critical attacks, and ignoring damage. 720 second recharge.
    Downed skills

Help Me!: Call for help from allies. Makes you invulnerable for a short while. 20 second recharge
    Lick Wound
    Special skill types

Chains three skills that share a single skill slot, which are executed in sequence on a single target.
    Preparations apply a preparation to a weapon to change its abilities.
    Spirit skills summon a nature spirit that influences the area around it.
    Traps utility skills that can be placed at a ranger's current location. When an enemy enters a trap, it is triggered.

A ranger has two general trait lines to choose from: Wilderness Survival and Beast Mastery. They also have trait lines for each of the weapons they can wield.

Wilderness Survival: Wilderness Survival is a trait line for the ranger that focuses on general character improvements.

Minor Perception: Increases perception by 10.
    Minor Strength: Increases strength by 10.
    ) Agility (trait): Increases agility by 25.
    Strength (trait): Increases strength by 25.
    Superior Agility: Increases agility by 75.
    Superior Strength: Increases strength by 75.
    Improved Trap Deployment
    Agile
    Beast Mastery
    * Speed Training
    Drake Affinity
    Canine Affinity
    Bounty Hunter
    Greatsword: Unknown
    Longbow: Unknown
    Shortbow: Unknown
    Main-Hand Axe
    Axe Mastery: Axe attacks do more damage
    Main-Hand Sword: Unknown
    Off-Hand Axe: Unknown
    Off-Hand Dagger: Unknown
    Torch: Unknown
    Warhorn
    Call of the Hale and Wild: Call of the Wild grants health regeneration.

Strength: Each point in Strength increases melee power by 1.
    Agility: Each point in Agility increases ranged power by 1.
    Vitality: Your health will be increased by 10 for each point in Vitality.
    Perception: Increases the chance to perform a critical hit.

The ranger is an adventurer profession and they will use medium armor.

A ranger has eleven possible weapon combinations. A ranger has 2 weapon sets and is able to switch quickly between them.
    Two-handed
    Greatsword brute force, heavy-damage weapon.
    Longbow stationary and slow, but damaging long ranged weapon.
    Shortbow very quick skirmishing weapon allowing movement while firing.
    Main-hand
    Sword mobile attacks which can be used to distance the ranger from the target.
    Axe short ranged throwing weapon which can ricochet off a target.
    Off-hand
    Axe short ranged throwing weapon.
    Dagger throwing weapon.
    Torch can light areas on fire which can, in turn, ignite arrows passing through the effect.
    Warhorn call in temporary animals to attack.
    Info links:
    Ranger on the Guild Wars 2 Wiki
    Offical Website page for the Ranger

This thread will be updated as and when new Ranger info is released.
    Last edited by Gorani; 04-03-2011 at 18:37.

Don't know if you guys have seen this video already, but its a damn good video with Ranger and Area footage. It showed me how it would be to play as a ranger on the battlefield.
    Enjoy.
    Last edited by DELTAg; 12-10-2010 at 16:49.

Got a link? (Seems like a neat video to see.)

Quote Originally Posted by Minionman View Post
    Got a link? (Seems like a neat video to see.)
    Oh lol, sorry, I posted a broken link and the forum lagged so hard for me yesterday that I didn't bother checking if the post was ok :p
    Anyway, I edited the post en placed the video in it.

When guild wars 1 came out, my main was the Nercomancer. i switched to ranger as my main when factions came out, and my ranger is still my main.

Thanks for the preview. The ranger will be my main for guild wars 2. I cannot wait

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 Posts1 year registered1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Thought I would contribute with a two part ranger video of pure in game play, no voices, no crowds, no noise. Just you and the game.

Guild Wars 2 - Gameplay: Human/Female/Ranger (in-game sound | no commentary) PART 1

Guild Wars 2 - Gameplay: Human/Female/Ranger (in-game sound | no commentary) PART 2

Interesting. I'm definitely looking forward to playing a ranger in guild wars 2. Hopefully their damage/dps is increased a bit. And hopefully ranger's get to move around more.

Quote Originally Posted by Galtrix View Post
    Interesting. I'm definitely looking forward to playing a ranger in guild wars 2. Hopefully their damage/dps is increased a bit. And hopefully ranger's get to move around more.
    Having a shortbow equipped, a ranger can shoot while running.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Axe rangers may be able to move too while throwing axes... not sure... (because for a ranger, an axe is not a melee weapon)
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Anyone like the changes to the pet?