PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    When I'm out with heroes. No rez on the monk heroes, they got mesmer interrupts for E management. This leaves rez skills on all the other heroes, usually 2 rez signets, a mesmer with Rez Chant with a necro with Flesh of My Flesh or a paragon with Sig of Return. My character, I decide on a rez by area demands.

The real problem is with player groups, guildies or pugs. The idea of dropping the rez for another skill is an epidemic.

A recent Eldritch Ettin run cemented my thoughts on this. One UA, no prots, no debuffs, and one pissed off ogre that hits for 600+ dmg. Three wipes and a lot of running and hiding behind SoS spirits. Once the monks went down, which was 10 seconds into most fights it was a wipe waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    I agree on this.

On the other hand, fewer and fewer things kick you out if you wipe these days: basically, only missions and some elite areas. In dungeons and vanquishes (and the EotN missions IIRC?), you can just wipe, respawn at a shrine, eat some honey and you're good to go again. Personally I prefer rezzing but yeah, it's possible without.
    Rezzing is nice even when you can respawn, I'll agree... as long as it's easy to get to the bodies. When a player is taking 5 minutes to try and rez one person when they're the only ones left standing, I tend to get a bit tired of it (and asking them to just wipe all ready). I know a person who has done this on occasion.

As for taking rezzes in harder areas, I tend to want my full bar as a lot of builds just do so much better with that last skill, especially on a rit (SoS) for instance. So I tend to take rez scrolls and mention that to everyone else, usually there's a few people taking hard rezzes. Some builds just don't need as many skills, and it can be harder finding uses for the 8th skill on the 3rd rit in a group when you find yourself saturated with them so in those cases I'll gladly take a hard rez (or soft if there are plenty of bosses).

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah
    A recent Eldritch Ettin run cemented my thoughts on this. One UA, no prots, no debuffs, and one pissed off ogre that hits for 600+ dmg. Three wipes and a lot of running and hiding behind SoS spirits. Once the monks went down, which was 10 seconds into most fights it was a wipe waiting to happen.
    Ummmm, are you certain it was the lack of a rez that made that fight so hard?! No prots whatsoever... why?! I'm so confused, really, truly.
    Last edited by djacob; 09-04-2011 at 08:04.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    most pugs like to run the UA/HB healing combo... everytime i try to pug on my monk with a prot build the team asks me for UA or HB. it makes me sad...

as for the res thing... i only take res in pvp. in pve i tend to not die very often hehe, but i always have scrolls on me just in case.

on a different note... im not a huge fan of the warrior play, but i do like hammering things to death. xD when i run a warrior, i run a very similar build to what buddah posted.

Quote Originally Posted by djacob View Post

Ummmm, are you certain it was the lack of a rez that made that fight so hard?! No prots whatsoever... why?! I'm so confused, really, truly.
    It's a linked problem.

We could have dropped it with an early loss or two, but just DPSed it into the ground.

The HB/UA pairing has led to the current problem. Almost all red bar heals, and rezs back on the monks. When you run a solid WoH/Prot build other players demand you run UA.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah View Post
    Let me guess.
    You didn't bring a paragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah View Post
    The HB/UA pairing has led to the current problem. Almost all red bar heals, and rezs back on the monks. When you run a solid WoH/Prot build other players demand you run UA.
    Yeah this. This. A good prot monk can singlehandedly put his healer colleague out of business in many areas for most of the time, at least in a team that is at least a little bit smart. Speaking of prot by the way, what's up with never taking condition removals anymore? Instead, you see people bringing Words of Comfort. I mean what is that supposed to be anyway? "Aw, poor you, you are blinded and crippled. Cheer up, here's a 100 point heal. Though you still can't fight lol."

People just look at the damn healing anymore, hence UA/HB. Dismiss Condition almost never leaves my monk bar. The few other decent monks I've seen in the past month (like 3 at best) have run Life Sheath or Peace and Harmony.

I can't see why you wouldn't want some decent condition removal on monk bars. With several great physical builds why let the damage output get neutered by a weakness or blindness.

Yeah. You'd think that after almost 6 years, people should have started to get that filled up red bars doesn't mean that the team is winning... But no, it actually seems to get worse every year. At least take RC, it both wipes conditions and push red bars up, but nope, must have HB...

At least I have Tahlkora to cover my back.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    If you run anything but that famous Mo/W bar in RA (or a variant), people get upset. It's stupid because you can have pretty good effective healing/prot builds outside that.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I think pvp is slightly different... I mean, the healers that aren't running the Mo/W bar or a variant of it, can't keep the team up as effectively.

The HB/UA thing is way worse because they're not the best builds... they're the easiest to use =/ The Mo/W is pretty much the best you can use (I think so anyway hehe)

Not really, but as hybrid you have to play decently while with the standard bar it's much easier to keep a team and yourself alive.

I think a prot/heal hybrid is potentially better than the popular pure healing Mo/W but it's harder to play at an acceptable level.