PC Gaming News
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Well, here's hoping. Anything that can make a character look more unique is good, right?

Oh wow, watching those skill videos, it looked so much fun. I'm making a Thief now, for sure. I'm sorry for questioning your coolness!

GWOnline.Net Member
    The thief does seem really fun to play and we have more info now that the profession has been officially revealed. My only gripe is the weapon selection. I mean, the thief can only use 6 weapons in total. Even taking into account the fact that a skill depends on both items you hold in your hands, that seems less than a lot of other classes. I think they could also have given the thief axes, maces or a torch offhand.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Enenion View Post
    The thief does seem really fun to play and we have more info now that the profession has been officially revealed. My only gripe is the weapon selection. I mean, the thief can only use 6 weapons in total. Even taking into account the fact that a skill depends on both items you hold in your hands, that seems less than a lot of other classes. I think they could also have given the thief axes, maces or a torch offhand.
    You should not forget, that you can steal "environmental weapons" from each foe in the game. This way you gain an enormous amount of "extra skills" (like a fear attack from a "skull steal" off an Ettin or a "healing potion" from a stolen Pirate's bottle)

I don't want to watch the justin.tv stream again, but IIRC the Thief hardly had any problems with Energy due to his initiative bar replenishing very fast, when he stepped out of combat for a short while. Balance issue compared to other classes?
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post

I don't want to watch the justin.tv stream again, but IIRC the Thief hardly had any problems with Energy due to his initiative bar replenishing very fast, when he stepped out of combat for a short while. Balance issue compared to other classes?
    Interesting question and I thought a bit about it at first - I think using the energy pool for only certain things actually lends credibility to the class; let me explain:

I think it works well since they're not relying on their energy pool for their profession's primary weapon-based skills, and since they're squishy, having more energy available to dodge/roll away from an attack makes the 'evade' mechanic a lot more tactical, while leaving them with a real advantage as that is basically *all* they use their energy pool for (aside from heals, etc.).

I think I may end up preferring this to maxing out an attribute like dexterity and having an evade skill that triggers based on a roll of the dice, for example.

That initiative can be spent and recharges at a rate of 1 pip/second seems to be where they might be able to adjust/balance the amount and frequency of enter/spend/retreat imbalance that might creep in over time, if that becomes a problem. "Thieves seem to be too fast and have an unfair advantage when it comes to spamming skills - let's adjust the recharge rate for initiative to 1.5~2 seconds/pip and see how that affects things.

Anyway, it's just different. I see initiative as being a little bit like adrenaline in reverse (it doesn't take time to initially build up, but once it's gone you'll have to wait a bit to get it back).

tl;dr - I'm not immediately concerned about any kind of unfair advantage since they're using their energy pool for something that actually seems to compliment their play style quite effectively while having their own limitations built-in.
    Last edited by thulsey; 12-03-2011 at 08:02. Reason: typos

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Thief is ok. Mercenary is bad imo because that's basically any fighter "for hire". What special ability do you get, a skill that lets you ask for a better price from foes?!?
    the assassin is exactly the same, they get payed to kill a target.
    a thief however doesn't even do that, kill for payment that is, they just walk around pick pockets.
    what are there skills, skills that let's you steal enemies pocket and run for it?
    Last edited by sorudo; 12-03-2011 at 09:21.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    the assassin is exactly the same, they get payed to kill a target.
    a thief however doesn't even do that, kill for payment that is, they just walk around pick pockets.
    what are there skills, skills that let's you steal enemies pocket and run for it?
    Not to pick nits, but the term mercenary simply implies you have no sworn allegiances, you're for hire to the highest bidder. Assassins can have allegiances - one might be the King's personal hitman, for instance.

Mercenaries can be any profession. One could, in fact, be a mercenary assassin without being redundant. Or a mercenary thief, soldier, wizard, chef, what have you.

I am also finding the profession's name, 'The Thief,' to be problematic. It's a rogue, through and through. Stealths around and attacks from the shadows? Check. Ranged and melee attacks? Check. Picks pockets? Check.

Thief is but one role they play. If they want to avoid the cliche of the term 'Rogue' in various RPGenres, go with a more synonymous term that sums up *all* the good stuff.

Like 'The Rapscallion' or 'The Scoundrel,' heck, 'The Scamp,' even.

So far I see a profession name that sounds an awful lot like a one-trick pony when in fact it's far from it.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

Memento Vivere, Mystic Spiral
    I'm not a fan of the profession name either.

Forgot which video it was, but energy did drain quite fast with all the evading and judging around, so energy potions might be necessary for the thief. The player kept using them as well to replenish.
    Or it was that he just had a small pool to work with due some circumstances? (Level, traits, whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Yes, but I'm sure scolars will have ways to counter that... 1vs1 should be matched if both play well.
    Yeah we really want a game balanced around 1v1!
    /endsarcasm

Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    Yeah we really want a game balanced around 1v1!
    /endsarcasm
    Dunno. When a class exists that specializes in 1 on 1, it would stink pretty royally if some classes ended up being unprotected against it in a pve world where you can conceivably run around on your own.

And team-based pvp might be more engaging if you had each member able to spec around defending themselves against specific types of attacks.

That said, with half your skills coming off of your weapon choice, I'm not sure how you'd even begin to prep for that.

Can't wait for more info on pvp to emerge, then we will know a lot more for sure.