PC Gaming News
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

Memento Vivere, Mystic Spiral
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jack View Post
    The speedy rogue-like profession has the ability to steal stuff from foes to use in combat.

It's a Thief.

Could become a VERY wanted class if it has the ability to steal hidden items or gold from foes too, similar to Thieves from the FF series.
    I have a feeling it'll stay with Environmental Weapons.
    ...Could you pass those along, btw?

Thief steals feathers, drops them, someone else uses them?

Just to give a reason for why the thief is called such. Listen to the Gamespot interview:

http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6302611/

Why is the thief called thief and not assassin? Eric Flannum answered by saying that

"while it has some similarities to the assassin, it really is its own thing. So, uhm, the big ability that it got its name from is the ability to steal items from enemies it fights..."

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    I wondered earlier if Thief's Initiative Points will give him/her an edge over other melees in term of getting in early and fast damage. If I read it right, those points remove recharge time from skills.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    Quote Originally Posted by Barinthus View Post
    I wondered earlier if Thief's Initiative Points will give him/her an edge over other melees in term of getting in early and fast damage. If I read it right, those points remove recharge time from skills.
    He sure can, but he doesn't have the constant DPS of others, and has to back down after the early damage. He seems to be what assassin was supposed to be: get in, unload, get out. Maybe this thime, when I eventually make one, I'll do as I'm supposed to, instead of going for dirtnaps after staying in the frontlines for too long.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Instead of attack skills recharging, it's the resource (initiative) itself that recharges. Yes, that means that thieves get the first attack (or at least the initial burst of damage), but unless you get thief-spiked, you should be able to counter and win the day if you play well.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

about the name:
    its wrong. why? because it is 1 role this prof has, if its only about stealing, i doubt people will play it much, unless they can get something no other profs can in any way
    so to some of you its ok to call eles air casters, or water callers, cuz its 1 role they have? i doubt it'll do much good that way, and assassin, scout or rogue sounds more like this prof than thief does, and thief sounds bad, while we are heroes in the game (not GW hero npc's -_-)

it would be an exception if it IS like a thief from final fantasy games: can fight, but much less dmg, and it steals items
    but i doubt it will be that good

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuhmii Shanbwa View Post
    about the name:
    its wrong. why? because it is 1 role this prof has, if its only about stealing, i doubt people will play it much, unless they can get something no other profs can in any way
    so to some of you its ok to call eles air casters, or water callers, cuz its 1 role they have? i doubt it'll do much good that way, and assassin, scout or rogue sounds more like this prof than thief does, and thief sounds bad, while we are heroes in the game (not GW hero npc's -_-)

it would be an exception if it IS like a thief from final fantasy games: can fight, but much less dmg, and it steals items
    but i doubt it will be that good
    You make no sense.

You, and others, are just complaining about the name because a) you want to complain about something, and b) having nothing else to whine about you pick on the name.

It's a name, a goddamn name. Even Shakespeare said 'A rose, by any other name would smell just as sweet'. This means the name doesn't matter. Get over it. You can call it what you want in your head, stop complaining about something completely irrelevant just because you want to whine about something.

The Thief, as evidenced by videos now in abundance, has a flexible role. To me, they play similar to the way Ranger plays in GW1 PvP. They also steal stuff, because they are thieves - a concept not a million miles from skills such as Arcane Thievery and other fun mesmery things.

I know I'll be rolling a Thief, and I know of at least 3 other people who will make a Thief as one of their first characters. Then you have all the people on this forum who want to roll Thief because it looks awesome.

If it had been named Assassin, people would complain that it's not like a GW1 Assassin.

If it had been named Rogue, people would complain that it was 'like WoW' and cry about it, lots.

If it had been called Scout, people would still cry about it, yourself included.

It's just a name. Stop complaining for the sake of complaining, it's annoying.

It will be better than the Final Fantasy Thief. Know why? Because this ArenaNet, not SquareEnix, and as much as I like Final Fantasy, I would trust ArenaNet over class design any day. (And because the FF MMOs suck horribly.)

(omg 1000th post)
    Last edited by kokabel; 14-03-2011 at 12:11.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Gratz Kokabel!

As for the name Thief, I think of it as a pet name... one not chosen by thieves themselves (they are too busy and secretive to get together and pick a name), but one rather given by those who got their stuff stolen from them. And backstabber didn't stick.

Also, they fight like I would imagine a thief would fight if he had to.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Is my assassin the only one who dosen't die in the frontlines?

The name is thief so get over it, geeze... If you lose sleep over it don't buy the game I guess? Or you COULD buy the game and copy/paste a long rant into the chat box everytime you see a thief, which will be alot, because the class is COOL.

The fans crying about the name are in the minority and should be ignored from hereon out.