Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Post Guardian Preview

"I'll guard you. Let them come through ME first!"

Preview profession guide: Guardian

Overview

The guardian is a devoted fighter who calls upon powerful virtues to smite enemies and protect allies. As dangerous with a staff as he is with a mighty two-handed hammer, a true guardian is a master tactician who knows when to sacrifice his own defenses to empower his allies to achieve victory.

Virtues, the Guradian's exclusive mechanic

Each guardian is supported by passive benefits, but he can relinquish those benefits, passing his powers on to his allies. This ability makes the guardian an excellent supportive fighter whether they are leading an assault or defending your party's flanks.

Guardians have developed three virtues that empower them in combat. By wielding Justice, the guardian's attacks can burn his enemies. With Courage, the guardian can shrug off even a mighty blow. Through Resolve, the guardian passively regenerates health, allowing him to wade into the most dangerous situation and come out alive.

• Courage — Every 30 seconds you are granted Aegis, blocking the next attack. Use this skill to apply Aegis to all nearby allies. (This disables your Courage for 120 seconds.)
    • Justice — Every fifth attack causes burning. Use this skill to make nearby allies' next attacks cause burning. (This disables your Justice for 30 seconds.)
    • Resolve — You regenerate health. Use this skill to remove conditions and apply Regeneration to all nearby allies. (This disables your Resolve for 120 seconds.)

Guardians have a number of special skill types:

• Spirit Weapons—The guardian can summon spirit weapons to fight at his side for a limited time. Spirit weapons cannot be attacked by enemies and can be commanded to inflict a powerful attack before disappearing. For example, Hammer of Wisdom can be summoned to fight alongside a guardian, then commanded to knock down an enemy and vanish.
    • Symbols—The guardian places symbols on the ground, where they inflict damage to enemies or deliver a benefit to allies. Symbols persist for a few seconds and then go away. For instance, Symbol of Faith is a hammer attack that leaves a transient symbol on the ground, giving allies the Vigor boon.
    • Wards—A ward is a marked area on the ground that stops enemies from passing through while allowing allies to move freely. For example, a staff-wielding guardian can create a Line of Warding in front of him that keeps enemies from reaching the allies behind him.
    • Aegis—Guardians are adept in the use of Aegis, a removable boon that blocks the next attack. Guardians have access to this boon through the virtue of Courage.

Weapons

Mace (Main Hand) — a defensive weapon

Scepter (Main Hand) — an offensive weapon

Sword (Main Hand) — a weapon with combined offensive and defensive skills

Greatsword (Two Handed) — an offensive weapon

Hammer (Two Handed) — ?

Staff (Two Handed) — a defensive weapon

Focus (Off Hand) — a weapon with combined offensive and defensive skills

Shield (Off Hand) — a defensive off hand

Torch (Off Hand) — an offensive off hand
    Preview skills: Guardian

This section is dedicated to the skills & abilities of the Guardian in Guild Wars 2. Until the final release of the game, all skills may change, alter their names and effect, cost more or less energy or might even be removed from the game. This list can only document the current status quo of the skills, based on official sources like the wiki.guildwars2.com, arena.net/blog or statements made by ArenaNet employees in various online and print publications.
    You can add information to this list by posting alterations and additions, which can be incorporated in the initial list.

Downed skills

* Wrath: Hit your target with a ray of light. 4 second recharge.
    * Purifying Light: Remove a condition from allies and blind foes. 18 second recharge.
    * Symbol of Judgment: Create a symbol on the ground that heals allies and burns foes. 30 second recharge.
    * Help Me!: Call for help from allies. Makes you invulnerable for a short while. 20 second recharge.

Both Hands (Offensive; skill slots 1-5)

1) Leap of Faith: A leaping attack that applies regeneration to allies near the target.
    2) Binding Blade: Forces the enemy to stay close.
    3) Symbol of Swiftness: Places a symbol that allies can run through to get a speed boost.
    4) ??:
    5) ??:

Both Hands (Offensive and defensive; skill slots 1-5)

1) Mighty Blow: A powerful area of effect attack that damages your enemies.
    2) Symbol of Faith: Symbol of Faith is a hammer attack that leaves a transient symbol on the ground, giving allies the Vigor boon.
    3) ??:
    4) ??:
    5) ??:

Both Hands (Defensive; skill slots 1-5)

1) Wave of Warth: Throw a shockwave ahead of you to strike foes. This skill recharges instantly.
    2A) Orb of Light: Fire a slow moving orb at your foe. 8 seconds recharge.
    2B) Flash of Light: Detonate Orb of Light.
    3) Symbol of Protection: Create a mystic symbol at target location that damages foes and gives Protection to allies. 12 seconds recharge.
    4) Line of Warding: Create a line on the ground in front of you that is impassable to foes. 40 seconds recharge.
    5) Martyr: Draw conditions from nearby allies to yourself. Gain Fury, Health, Might, Protection, Regeneration, and Swiftness. 45 seconds recharge.

Main Hand (Defensive; skill slots 1-3)

1A) True Strike: Smash your foe.
    1B) ??:
    1C) Faithful Strike:
    2) Symbol of Wrath: Slam the ground and create a mystic symbol that pulses damage to nearby foes. 8 second recharge.
    3) Protector’s Strike: Surround yourself and allies with a shield that will strike back against attacks. 10 second recharge.

Main Hand (Offensive; skill slots 1-3)

1) Orb of Wrath: Fire a slow moving orb at your foe. This skill recharges instantly.
    2) Smite: Strike, and your target will continue being pummeled. 8 second recharge.
    3) Chains of Light: Immobilize your target in ethereal chains. 18 second recharge.

Main Hand (Offensive and defensive; skill slots 1-3)

1) Sword fo Wrath: Slash your foe and strike again on the backswing. This skill recharges instantly.
    2) Flashing Blade: Teleport to target location, Blinding foes along your path. 15 seconds recharge.
    3) Zealot’s Defense: Block enemy ranged attacks while sending out magical projectiles. 15 second recharge.

Off Hand (Offensive and defensive; skill slots 4-5)

4) Ray of Judgment: Damage and Blind up to three nearby enemies. Heal and remove a condition from nearby allies. 30 second recharge.
    5) Shield of Wrath: Create a shield and ward off the next few attacks. If not destroyed, the shield will soon explode, damaging nearby foes. 60 second recharge.

Off Hand (Defensive; skill slots 4-5)

4) Shield of Judgment: Send out a shield wave that damages enemies and applies Protection to allies. 20 second recharge.
    5) Shield of Absorbtion: Create a dome around you that absorbs magical and ranged attacks. 35 seconds recharge.

Off Hand (Offensive; skill slots 4-5)

4) Cleansing Flame: Throw a cone of celestial fire in front of you, scorching foes while removing conditions from allies. 20 seconds recharge.
    5A) Zealot’s Flame: Set yourself alight with eldritch fire and Burn nearby foes. 30 seconds recharge.
    5B) Zealot’s Fire: Shoot a fireball and Burn a target enemy. This skill has no recharge.

Healing skills
    Healing Breeze: Grant regeneration to yourself and allies. 20 second recharge.
    Shelter: You block while healing. 20 second recharge.
    Signet of Resolve: Passive: Gain regeneration. Active: You are healed. 15 second recharge.

Utility skills
    Smite Conditions: You lose all conditions. All nearby foes take damage, doubled for each condition you had. Can be used while Stunned. 30 second recharge.
    Wall of Deflection: Create a wall of mystic power at target location that deflects projectiles. 60 second recharge.
    Meditate: All virtues recharge instantly. 120 second recharge.
    "Hold the Line": Grant Protection and Regeneration to allies. 80 second recharge.
    "Retreat": Grants Protection and Swiftness to nearby allies. 80 second recharge.
    "Stand Your Ground": You and all nearby allies gain stability. 80 second recharge.
    Bane Signet: Passive: Gain Might boon.Active: Target foe is damaged and knocked down. 90 second recharge.
    Signet of Judgment: Passive: Grants you Protection.Active: All nearby foes are Burned and all nearby allies gain Regeneration. 60 second recharge.
    Signet of Wrath: Passive: Nearby foes suffer from Burning. Active: Burn and Blind your target foe. 90 second recharge.
    Hammer of Wisdom: Summon an arcane hammer that defends you.
    Command: Command your Hammer of Wisdom to knock down targeted foe. This skill has no recharge.

Elite skills
    * Sanctuary: Creates a protective bubble around the user. Whereas enemies cannot, allies may enter the bubble, though unable to use skills while within it.
    Preview traits:Guardian

Traits are acquired by completing profession challenges scattered throughout the world. Each profession focuses on different activities to develop his or her traits.

The Guardian has one general trait line linked to the Virtues (although the name is still unknown). They also have lines for each of the weapons they can wield.

Honor traits (Primary Virtues line)

* Minor Power: increases your Power by 10
    * Power: increases your Power by 25
    * Superior Power: increases your Power by 75
    * Minor Precision: increases your Precision by 10
    * Precision: increases your Precision by 25
    * Superior Precision: increases your Precision by 75
    * Minor Vitality: increases your Vitality by 10
    * Vitality: increases your Vitality by 25
    * Superior Vitality: increases your Vitality by 75
    * Minor Toughness: increases your Toughness by 10
    * Toughness: increases your Toughness by 25
    * Superior Toughness: increases your Toughness by 75

Valor traits (general character improvement)

* Altruism: virtues recharge faster
    * Bond of Devotion: you and your allies gain Aegis and Protection
    * Bond of Renewal: you and your allies gain Regeneration and Vigor
    * Bond of Wrath: you and your allies gain Might and Smite
    * Indiscriminate Smiting: every fourth attack causes burning (instead of every fifth)
    * Practiced resistance: conditions expire more quickly on you
    * Protector’s Alacrity: Aegis triggers every 30 seconds (instead of every 40)
    * Resolution’s Renewal: gain more health from Virtue of Resolve
    * Shielding Hands: your allies receive Aegis when you revive them

Mace Mastery
    Major Traits
    * Mace Mastery: 10% damage boost with maces.
    * Wrathful Reward: Regeneration on critical hit.
    Minor Traits
    * Penitent Reward: Faithful Strike heals for more.
    * Wrathful Prolongment: Symbol of Wrath lasts longer.
    * Devout's Protection: Protector's Smash grants Protection.

Scepter Mastery
    Major Traits
    * Scepter Mastery: 10% damage boost with scepters.
    Minor Traits
    * Fettered by Truth: Chains of Light applies vulnerability.
    * Recurring Smite: Smite hits extra times.
    * Burned by Truth: Applies burning on critical hits.

Sword Mastery
    Major Traits
    * Courageous Speed: Critical attacks with your sword grant you Swiftness.
    * Sword Mastery: Your sword attacks do 10% more damage.
    Minor Traits
    * Flashing Quickness: Reduces the recharge on Flashing Blade.
    * Perfected Form: Attacks with Sword of Wrath have a 50% increased chance of being a critical hit
    * Protector's Form: The shield on Zealot's Defense reflects projectiles.

Greatsword Mastery
    Traits unknown at the moment

Hammer Mastery
    Traits unknown at the moment

Staff Mastery
    Major Traits
    * Staff Expertise: Shorter spell cool down with your staff.
    * Staff Mastery: 10% damage boost with staff.
    Minor Traits
    * Brilliant Orb: Your Orb of Light blinds when detonated.
    * Enduring Protection: Your Symbol of Protection lasts longer.
    * Heroic Martyr: When you Martyr you draw conditions.
    * Mending Wave: Your Wave of Wrath removes a condition.
    * None Shall Pass: Line of Warding knocks back foes when you cast it.
    * Steel Curtain: Your Line of Warding blocks projectiles.

Torch
    Major Traits
    * Trait: ??
    Minor Traits
    * Mending Burns: Cleansing Flame removes two conditions per hit.
    * Zealot's Swiftness: Zealot's Fire gives Swiftness.

Shield
    Major Traits
    * Trait: ??
    Minor Traits
    * Redirected Fury: Shield of Absorption knocks back when cast.
    * Staggering Judgment: Shield of Judgment knocks back.

Focus
    Major Traits
    * : ??
    Minor Traits
    * Defender's Warding: Shield of Wrath absorbs more damage.
    * Indiscriminate Judgment: Ray of Judgment hits five foes.
    * Ray of Weakness: Ray of Judgment weakens on a critical hit.
    Last edited by Gorani; 22-05-2011 at 19:54.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

I am waiting to see about this class...if it is like a chanter in aion then it will be fun to play!

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    No skill preview? Do you need someone to compile that info? (e.g. me)
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    No skill preview? Do you need someone to compile that info? (e.g. me)
    That would be great. I don't have time to work on the Guardian page right now. If you want to contribute to the preview I would be glad. I could send you the "source code" of the page as a PM if you want to continue with that layout.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Source code? Ok, sure. PM me up Scotty. I'll get to it early in the week.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Alaris worked on an update to the Guardian page the last few days and I have added it to post #1.
    I looks like we have to work on some icon sizes and a few broken links, but we should be able to sort out the bugs within the next few days.

Gorani

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I think if you delete the extra spaces the links will work. MS Word likes to add spaces, and I apparently didn't catch them all. It's the correct links copy-pasted, and I checked a few "broken" ones here just now and they work if you click on them.

Is there a way to control the size of images?

I found a 25pix version of Help Me!
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I have added the weapon skill banners to the list and updated the skill icons to the right size.

Gorani

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Wow looks awesome.
    == Alaris & clone ==