PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Supreme Dragon:

Doesn't Minsc have permanently improved stats after completing that quest though?
    Or would that just be more proof that Boo does buff him?

Either way I feel it's difficult to follow the logic in this case

We could turn to the Spelljammer Lore, but then we might end up saying that Minsc was in fact a Spaceship

Minsc's stats go down when you lose Boo. They return back to normal once you get him back.

And besides. Boo is a DND god (no literally he's a god, no idea what edition, but he's in there). Jsut goes to show that if you don't have a ranger pet you lose the oppertunity to have a god!

I vote for hamster pets for everyone!

Take a moa or other support pet, set it on heel and avoid combat. There, you have your buffs and you can basically ignore it. I don't foresee any kind of "give up your pet to get X buff" bonus to be balanced, ever. Pets will just end up being the "noob filters" that they are in GW1, and quite frankly I'd like it if the pet class could actually use their pet without some PUG idiot yelling at me (or, rather, for me to yell at myself for taking such a waste of bar space).

All pets need to be useful is a way for them to heal up incidental damage more easily, since they're not getting the same dodges and such that player characters get. Setting the pet to Heel and Avoid Combat could just provide a nice regen buff, that'd be a start; that'd make it much more viable for a ranger to just recall their pet back to them if they're taking too much damage.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    I'm not quite as down on GW1 pets as you seem to be, so my beastmaster ranger would probably not pass your "noob filter". However, the fact that I enjoy using my pet in GW1 does not mean I think forcing pets in GW2 is a good idea unless there are some major fixes to the system. Especially since GW2 doesn't let you work around some of the problems by going full beastmaster, but forces you into a weapon/pet split.

So far I haven't seen any sign of any major fixes. Study the Barrage skill video on the official page and there are still signs of that awful pet hesitation before the first strike (artfully covered by camera transitions). You can see the hesitation and slow attack rate in action on some of the PAX demo videos. (In the rare cases where pets are actually alive and attacking.)

It also appeared to me that the GW2 enemy AI is still prone to ignoring pets in favor of attacking players. Pets in GW1 are usually the last things left standing because of this, so it doesn't much matter if they can't dodge and don't have any extra regen built in. Most pet damage seems to come from being caught in AoE aimed at the players, and the extra AoE in GW2 may be responsible for all the pet corpses lying around. Putting pets on heel might not be the solution here, since it will ensure they get tagged by any AoE aimed at you.

I don't see how healing incidental damage by themselves is all pets need to be useful. That just replaces what the healer heroes are doing in GW1, and that healing of incidental damage doesn't seem sufficient to make GW1 pets meet your standards of utility. All it does is relieve the ranger of the extra stress of playing monk to his pet while it chases foes all over the battlefield without being able to attack them because they aren't interested in fighting pets.

I would also like to know to what extent cross-profession buffs will affect pets. Very few of them do in GW1. Will pets get any benefit from AoE boons supplied by warrior banners, guardian virtues, etc.? If they do, that will also go a long way towards increasing their utility.

Just judging from the Skills so far it looks like the Ranger is in charge of AoE, Utility Skills (like healing/evasion/buffs/etc.), and Combos where the pet applying all the direct damage. . .

This could easily change though as more skills and skills of pets get revealed
    (keeping in mind that none of the Hall of Monument Pets have been shown in game yet or skills for Ranger Greatsword)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The WoW warlock is interesting point of comparison here. You can summon a different pet depending on your needs...

One is melee, one is ranged, one is rogue-ish, etc...
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    ...I like ranger pets just fine. I wouldn't have gone to a gazillion and one zoo crew meetings if I didn't...

So I would have no problem with always bringing a pet on a ranger :)

In fact, I would probably not want to play a pet-less ranger at all.

You could just not bring any pet skills and put traits into bow attacks? That way you still do lots of damage but don't rely on your pet as much as people who have pet skills and pet traits??????

Why not just have your pet along doing it's pet thing and you don't manage it at all, by, once again, relying on bow skills instead of pet skills????????

Even hunters in WoW who use Marks/Survival talents still have their pets for the mediocre damage, even though the vast majority of the dps is from the bow. (oh **** did I just mention WoW oh noooooooo)

The WoW warlock is interesting point of comparison here. You can summon a different pet depending on your needs...
    Hunters have three types of pets too... It's not that big of a deal though... And not really relevant to removing pets, no...?

I do agree I prefer running round without the pet and while the occasional petition thread is fun for a bit, I think we already have the option to go pet-less.

Hunters Call, Spread Shot and Whirling Def don’t have pets in their videos’
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ssions/ranger/

So I’m pretty sure it’s done, but I’ll sign

Grim

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayren View Post
    You could just not bring any pet skills and put traits into bow attacks?
    Not sure you can pull traits from pets and put them into bows. I don't think it works that way. If it does, then I'm happy with it, like I said in the OP (in different words).

I've heard enough complaints about WoW pets to think they would also like that option. Not an issue with warlocks though, because ranged pet stays near you and stays out of trouble. If I'd get a ranged pet that would stay nearby, that'd be fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
    In fact, I would probably not want to play a pet-less ranger at all.
    I'm happy for you. Does it mean you disagree, you don't care, or you agree even if it doesn't affect you?
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about