PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Pros & cons discussion of professions released so far

That was the question I was asking myself this morning. Ultimately, one will have to try it out of course. But from an arm-chair perspective at this point, which should it be if I want to play an agile, mobile fighter who can both do melee and distance attacks? If you ignore the pet aspect for a moment, both seem to have the following in common. Both:

- can use traps
    - can use melee and distance attack weapons.
    - can do stealth
    - are agile and have very mobile skills

What do you think?
    Last edited by Gorani; 21-05-2011 at 09:06.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The only ranger stealth I know of are (1) camouflage, which stealths you while you don't move, and (2) some sort of pet stealth. I think if you want stealth, thief will do that better. I also see better options for range on ranger. Thief has better mobility options though.

I'd pick ranger even without pet. Stealth in the games I play tends to be more about not getting into a fight rather than about doing damage. If you want damage, use your weapons on a class that specs in damage. Somehow I think the ranger will have better options for sustained dps and survival than thief.

I'd pick thief *only* if I wanted to play hit & run tactics. If you enjoy being that annoying mosquito, thief is for you.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]
    Thief all the way simply because I don't have to put up with my special mechanic being a retarded ai controlled lolcat.

Some people like pets, some people hate pets. I feel this is what the topic will boil down too.

Also thieves get pistols to pew pew with.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'd rather use a bow (if they're balanced that is). I own a bow in RL, I love shooting with it, and I wouldn't want a gun.

Pet will be major, I think the ranger will be gimped without a pet. But I'd rather deal with the AI than have to rely on my internet to provide me with a lag-free experience.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline.Net Member BrotherGrimm's Avatar
    I have no doubt whatsever that I will play both...why chose when nobody is forcing you to?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    It's fun to think about it and debate...

I have a similar thing about necro and guardian. Not sure which will be my first main, although it's pretty clear they be my first two mains regardless (subject to change after the next two reveals, and gameplay, of course).

-----

edit: also, the thief seems to lack any long-range weapons (longbow, rifle). He's limited to medium range (pistols, short bow).
    Last edited by Alaris; 22-03-2011 at 15:49.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline.Net Member BrotherGrimm's Avatar
    Meh...I'm a Altwhore with no idea exatly which one of my dozen GW characters is my "Main". I'll most likely play GW2 the same way.

Dual Pistols vs a giant chicken.....No contest.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Altaholic here, with every profession except assassin ;)

My main is whichever I find most interesting to play yet hasn't completed everything I want to get done. It was initially paragon but that got boring, then used to be ranger until I GWAMM'ed it, then Rit who also GWAMM'ed, and now it's dervish when not busy working on RA title.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Without reading what has been posted so far I'm leaning slightly towards the Ranger. . .

It was a very nice class to pickup early in GW:1 as it was, and in many respects still is, a profession with a very high skill cap.

That said I would want to pit both classes against each other to see who has the greater advantage

---

BrotherGrimm:

Yes, you can have both, but unless you're dualboxing and porting your keyboard commands over to two PCs at once you cannot play both at the same time ;p

---

Wisley:

Actually I feel quite the opposite. . .

All the Pet exploits from the previous title lend me to think that there will be more opportunity at hand with Ranger mechanics

Also I'd expect pets to get mobility skills to rival that of the Thief turning the 1on1 battle into "Your dual wield vs. My duel wield + My pet"

-
    Last edited by MaximumSquid; 22-03-2011 at 21:23.