GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
    Of the 3 range classes so far thief will probably be the hardest to play, just like assassins was in GW1.
    Sins (and rits) were also apparently underpowered in the release.

Difficult to play shouldn't mean ineffective. A thief should be *as* able to dish out damage, provide support, and stay alive as any other profession. The difference is that good thieves will take advantage of their mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalanor Thornhale View Post
    Generally, I like playing classes that are harder to play.
    ANet in an interview said that warrior, elementalist, and ranger were designed to be easier to play.

So, guardian, thief, and necro might be good choices if you like harder classes.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    "a ranger who doesn't even have a pet out will be a good deal less effective than one who does"
    As much as I like the idea of playing a pet ranger, I would like ANet to dish out a few more runes along the lines of "extra damage while not using a pet" or "extra damage, cannot use a pet" or other such passive buffs.

Even if in doing so you're not *quite* as strong as other professions, and even if in doing so you're losing a major mechanic... I think a lot of players would appreciate it. Personally, I'll make a ranger and no thief, but I wouldn't mind the occasional pet-less thief-like soloing.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]

Pros & cons discussion of professions: Guardian vs necro vs elementalist

My favorite profession in GW1 was the ritualist in both PvE and PvP (or N/Rt). Summons, healing, damage... awesome blend of abilities and playstyles. You could even melee (not that I ever did)!

I'm debating between guardian, necro, and elementalist because they all three have good support options, damage options, and a pretty good flexibility in playstyle. My least favorite so far is elementalist because of lack of summons. I'm generally not a fan of paladins (or paragons) or melee for that matter, but the guardian is my 1st choice so far, with necro a close second.

----

Discuss the pros and cons of these three professions.

(Idea stolen from the thief vs ranger thread)
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Alaris:

Maybe you could have the best of both worlds. . .

What if you had the option of getting pets that were useless for combat?
    They would still follow you around or have their head sticking out of one of your pouches (or whatever)

Just add some runes or other skills that take advantage of your non-aggressive companion

I'm sure the Norn would love to tell tales of an Indomitable, Ranger Berserker who never once received help from his pet

Spoiler

It's like we're already half way there!

-
    Last edited by MaximumSquid; 23-03-2011 at 15:49.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    .... This is hard.

Your choice of Rit as a primary makes it pretty difficult between the three choices. You've got Guardian for your support, Necro for your summons, and Ele for your damage.

What summons does the Guardian even have? Just wards, right? I suppose those are similar to spirits... But you said you don't like paladins or melee.

Based on that, and it seems like you prefer summons, it sounds like Necro is probably your best option. Guardian, I feel, will be more of a front-liner, which Necro needing to stay back a bit more, similar to Ritualist.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    If the pet is useless in combat but also doesn't aggro, that'd be nice.

I couldn't see the pic.

-----

I want a mini Kormir as pet. Buff me up!
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Guardian has weapon spells. They're not targetable, but they're summons otherwise.

Also, I'm not a fan, but that doesn't mean I don't like them. I prefer ranged especially with bows, but I've also enjoyed melee play in GW1 (warrior and derv). I tend to dislike paladins because of passive heals, but the active prots of guardians seems a lot more fun. Makes it hard to pick.

Also, eles have different kinds of support. Water slows and heals, but other elements can also be used in supportive ways. Fire can buff attacks. Not sure what earth and air do (earth boosts your armor, so I imagine it allows you to melee?!?).
    == Alaris & clone ==

I'm in the same boat Alaris. Personally, I'm planning on rolling both practically at the same time, testing them out, and then deciding.

Guardian has weapon spells, and does get access to staves and other magical implements so you don't even necessarily need to melee. Not that you'll be in the backlines as much as a necro, with your high armor.

On the other hand, necro gets minions that don't need bodies, and has a spell that turns its staff into a scythe (which apparently lowers defenses of enemies and gives allies a speed buff, don't know if it applies to minions as well).

I think the necro will focus more on minions than the guardian will on weapon spells, but either will suit us just fine.

Ele though, that's a different story, I'm thinking of it like I did the elf healer from warhammer online. Mixed with the human ranged damage (some fire casting prof). Damage + support, but not really my style. We'll see though.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    @djacob - lack of summons on elementalist is why it's currently 3rd place, even body-less weapons spells is more exciting. However, even if eles don't have summons within their profession, I don't dismiss them entirely as they can get them from racial skills. If Charr get good summons for example, I might make a Charr Elementalist.

As for Guardian, I am content that I don't have to melee all the time... but I do like that the option to melee is there. I'll likely carry a ranged weapon and a melee weapon with me at all times at least in solo play. I might take 2 melee swaps or 2 ranges swaps in dungeons etc as needed by the team.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Alaris:

I rehosted the image for this and your other thread

But yeah now that you mention it that would be even easier. . .

Just make it so your non-combat pet buffs you instead of having to worry about specialized equipment or skills

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Go for the eyes, Boo, GO FOR THE EYES !!!

Hahaha.

Also, that hamster was magical. Hamsters don't normally live beyond 2 years.
    == Alaris & clone ==