PC Gaming News
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    I think limiting characters slots to less than the amount of professions there are is silly. Obviously we don't want to have people making 50 characters, but if it's limited to 4 slots, then we can only experience half of the game's mechanics from our own point of view. Then we'd have to delete those characters to have one of the professions we haven't played, which would make people angry/not want to play. I don't see why they would do this. I think that having 5-8 slots would be good: 5 still meets the amount of races (one of every race at least), and 8 meets the amount of professions.

I'd still prefer at least 8, but who knows; with the amount of content they have, who's to say we'll even need 8 slots?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    8 slots is wasteful for the average user (except for mules, you always need more of those).

1) Keep in mind that it'll take a lot longer in GW2 to play through the game... most players won't have time to play 8 characters fully.

2) Many players don't even want to play every professions. For example, me, I already have 2 professions that I don't plan on playing at all, and I am not likely to play the 8th unless it blows my mind. Many players don't want to play all races either, some even want to only play humans.

3) Many players have a main or two, and use the other slots for muling only.

4) The average forum-goer probably plays more characters and hours than the average player. So take the polls here, and estimate that average players will play fewer professions and races, and need fewer slots.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

My bet is on 5 or 6 slots to open with, if they do a pre-order like the did with GW1 they will probably offer 5 slots and 1 bonus slot with the pre-order so pre-order people get 6 starting out with, I ended up with 10 slots due to bonus pack/pre-order stuff for GW1, never having to buy one. Then they will sell extra slots in the store so those who need then can buy them. I do doubt that people will bother buying them for a good six months to a year though.

Personally I doubt I will need more than six total. I intend to do a Warrior, Mez, Assassin, Guardian and Ranger, the rest of the classes may be made but I’m sure just like now I’ll spend 90% of my time on the Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilisys View Post
    I think limiting characters slots to less than the amount of professions there are is silly. Obviously we don't want to have people making 50 characters, but if it's limited to 4 slots, then we can only experience half of the game's mechanics from our own point of view. Then we'd have to delete those characters to have one of the professions we haven't played, which would make people angry/not want to play.
    Or roll the other 4 on a different server?

There's a perfectly good reason to have less than 8 slots free: incentive to buy more.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    We're going with the assumption that the limit of total characters is regardless of how you spread them (or don't) across servers. So rolling on different servers wouldn't help.

Incentive to buy more slots is fine by me.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    We're going with the assumption that the limit of total characters is regardless of how you spread them (or don't) across servers. So rolling on different servers wouldn't help.
    That'd be the first time I've seen a game do that. Every other game I've played gives you the free character slots PER server. But I guess we'll see. /crossfingers

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Guild Wars 2 might innovate in a lot of ways, including not charging for a subscription. They need income from other sources, char slots is a good place imo. I'd gladly pay char slots if I end up needing more.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post

Incentive to buy more slots is fine by me.
    To add to this: Since server transfers are probably going to be quite easy to do, it seems doubtful that Anet would include slots per server and create an easy way to produce tons of characters.

This video shows Asura Guardian gameplay from TotalBiscuit and commentary with Colin Johanson (sp?). It has me wanting to switch my main again...

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Firing mini-golems that explode? DO WANT!
    == Alaris & clone ==