GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    Sometimes you can kind of tell what a person does for a living based on their post history
    Yes, I did say I was doing research in psychology.

Hummm, but curious as to what you were insinuating here ;)
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Well, I already know you are a psychologist. And making a list of pros and cons could really go with any number of professions. Just reminded me a bit of CBT.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Well, I already know you are a psychologist. And making a list of pros and cons could really go with any number of professions. Just reminded me a bit of CBT.
    Yeah...

Well, looks like either I go necro and drop summons to play healer, or go guardian and use sub-par summons... The other professions are lacking in at least one "want" categories (i.e. heal/prot, summons, interesting weapons & swap).
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    I think I've narrowed it down to

human warrior
    human necromancer
    Asura guardian
    Asura engineer
    Sylvari... mesmer. Or maybe Sylvari elementalist. Probably mesmer.

I did enjoy playing the thief a fair bit, but I realize that I almost never utilize their shadowstep/steal abilities. And if I'm completely ignoring a big part of the class, maybe it's not the class I want to play.

This is also assuming we only get 5 character slots to begin. If we get more than that I may add an elementalist. Or thief. Or flip a coin a dozen times in a horrible state of indecisiveness. But either would probably be Sylvari, just for balance (no interest in Norn or Charr).

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    So far, I have...

Human ranger,
    Charr ranger,
    Sylvari ranger,
    Asuran ranger,
    Norn guardian,
    Sylvari elementalist,
    Asuran necro,
    Charr necro

and maybe I'll create a mesmer. Probably human.

Problem is, there's only 5 slots!

Why all those rangers? Because I just like rangers... Human ranger is simply a must. Charr is fun to walk beside your pet. Asuran: you'll be smaller than your pet! Sylvari because I like the Sylvari and want a ranger too.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    So far, I have...

Human ranger,
    Charr ranger,
    Sylvari ranger,
    Asuran ranger,
    Norn guardian,
    Sylvari elementalist,
    Asuran necro,
    Charr necro

and maybe I'll create a mesmer. Probably human.

Problem is, there's only 5 slots!

Why all those rangers? Because I just like rangers... Human ranger is simply a must. Charr is fun to walk beside your pet. Asuran: you'll be smaller than your pet! Sylvari because I like the Sylvari and want a ranger too.
    Interesting - I'd have assumed a Norn ranger, as well; they match the stereotypical ranger profession perfectly. Solitary in nature, revere nature in general, and look great in medium armor! ... you could have a pet that represents a spirit animal...

For my own, I've *almost* got it figured out:
    human ranger
    asuran engineer or thief (can't decide who's more 'engineer-y' between asura and charr; they make things go 'boom'.)
    sylvari mesmer (a mesmer who came from and shares a common dream? Yes, please...)
    norn warrior
    charr engineer or thief

Ok - with the charr I'm actually tempted to go in a completely different direction and roll a scholar, but I didn't try necro or ele at all.
    Last edited by thulsey; 24-07-2012 at 10:56. Reason: Oh yeah, to the point...

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by thulsey View Post
    Interesting - I'd have assumed a Norn ranger, as well; they match the stereotypical ranger profession perfectly. Solitary in nature, revere nature in general, and look great in medium armor! ... you could have a pet that represents a spirit animal...
    Yes, I was typing that list and while I was putting the races down, I wondered to myself: why not Norn? I think I know why I probably won't create a Norn ranger: I see rangers as lithe persons. And Norn simply aren't.

But what isn't now, doesn't mean it will never be... Me being me, I might end up with one of each profession for one of each race (except engineer, but again, never say never!)
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    After this last beta, and with a launch date not too far away, I've actually tried to sort out which race/profession combos I might go with. Prepare for fascinating insights:

Human engineer is a dead cert at this stage, though that doesn't mean permanent immunity from deletion. Human mesmer is out. I've always assumed I'd recreate my male mes from GW1 and that it'd be my GW2 main, but I don't like the look of human males and I refuse to make a fem mes. Saves me doubling up humans, so that's okay I guess.

Asuran elementalist. Made one over the BWE3 weekend. GW2 ele looks a lot more interesting to me than the GW version, so I want to have a good crack at this. Liked my little Asura guy, though I wasn't overly enamoured with the starter area. Decent comp will help there, when I finally put it together. Don't like the light armour duds I've seen so far but on an Asura they're harder to see. Reason enough for this particular combination. Had intended to make an Asura warrior for the comedy value but done changed my mind.

Norn warrior. Played a Norn in BWE2 and rather liked it. Wasn't expecting that. Female because male Norn don't appeal at all. Was rubbish at melee in GW and expect I may be worse in GW2 but warriors have lots of cool toys and stuff.

Sylvari mesmer? Bit obvious, like my Asura and Norn combos, so that's a tad disappointing, but somebody needs to be a mesmer, despite how little I enjoyed the GW2 version in BWE1. Will be a bloke. Figure Sylvari will be better able to pull off the fancy light armour gladrags.

Charr thief or ranger. Played a Charr ranger in BWE1 but the Charr starter area seemed particularly hard on my computer so got nowhere. Liked the look of my guy, but as an NPC not a PC. Couldn't...what's the word...relate? Tried again this weekend past. This time as a thief, just to give it a go for a bit, figuring I'd never make a Charr come launch. Changed plans after that. Loved the personal story. The starter area, especially the Black Citadel is fantastic. Want to get back in there.

Necro, for now, is not on my radar. Neither is guardian. Got a few levels of thief under my belt now, so may have to try ranger again, despite my concerns with pets.

Engineer is my main focus and I will push this character through the game first. Unless it turns out to be rubbish, in which case I might have to reshuffle the above combos.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Well, looks like either I go necro and drop summons to play healer, or go guardian and use sub-par summons... The other professions are lacking in at least one "want" categories (i.e. heal/prot, summons, interesting weapons & swap).
    How come you don't like Ranger again? Since you like summons so much, it seems like a good enough fit for you. Though, I love the class and I think we have very different playstyles.

Anyway, it seems Lady R likes Ranger just a little bit.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Egal View Post
    Unless it turns out to be rubbish, in which case I might have to reshuffle the above combos.
    First order of business is reserving names! Professions will come later

How come you don't like Ranger again? Since you like summons so much, it seems like a good enough fit for you. Though, I love the class and I think we have very different playstyles.

Anyway, it seems Lady R likes Ranger just a little bit.
    Where did you get that idea?