PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scutilla View Post
    I had been doing Arborstone runs for Kurzick title, so I'm going to attempt to no longer die while doing that. If I make it, I can skip one of the three consumables titles for GWAMM, if not, oh well.

I'd say that a "true" survivor should earn their title by questing rather than farming/grinding, but I did that years ago, so my main character gets a free pass
    If we're talking about "True" Survivors, then it should really be done the "old fashioned" way, and take a level 1 character through the content. I still find that harder (especially starting in Prophecies), then trying it the "False Survivor" way of just accumulating the XP. I still think they should have just made a separate title - especially since the HoM is account-wide anyway, you just don't need to have every character with every title (and I'm a OCD completionist - go figure).

Hanok

PS: Answered my own question from post on last page - You can only fill in one book using the pay for page method. Just did a test run in Augury Rock with 3 books in storage. I was able to pay for the page only for one of the books. Understandable, but stinks that we don't have that "Easy Button."
    Last edited by Hanok Odbrook; 18-04-2011 at 22:49.

Yesterday I decided to see how a 7 hero team holds up in DoA. My team sucked in the first try and I died, so survivor reset. By the time I got most of the way through the 3rd zone on the second try, I had reached level 1. So my vote for survivor is running through DoA. Once you get the right team build (and overaggroing the group that runs at the start of City is a great test) the risk is extremely minimal. Plus you get 6+ gems per run, or 10+ if you are ballsy enough to do Foundry.

Less than 10 runs through the three easy zones will max suvivor, plus you get 70ish gems!

I think I'll try HM to see how that plays out.

I've given up on going for LS for now. I've lost two in the last couple of weeks due to lag.... both were over 700K. I'm not sure what's going on but I've been getting really bad lag and getting disconnected frequently lately. It doesn't seem to be on my end since everything else I try to do online is fine... only have issues with GW and the various official GW sites.

Anyways, since I believe in getting it by playing the game, LS is out of reach for me until my connection improves. I only really attempted it in the past with my Monk and got it after playing through Factions in NM and HM... granted I also was doing skill capping as I went along so that helped.

If we are talking about the title, LS is just a title for characters with gaining continuous 1337500 xp without dying. I have 33 characters with the title LS, but only 31 true survivors now because 2 have deaths on them . I am trying to get the title LS on 3 of my characters that are over 5 years old, i.e. those that were created before there were titles of any kind, but they would only be survivors wannabe even if they could get the title LS. On those 3 characters I am trying to redo all missions via the Zaishen Missions, so the going is slow with the waiting. I hate getting the title by just farming a few spots for xp since it is boring and un-rewarding, and un-challenging. I still have 5 characters with 0 deaths but all with over a million xp each waiting their turn to go through all quests and missions in all the chapters. I do make make use of the double xp rewards weekends though, but only if the characters have already over a million xp..
    Also, I have getting lag spikes lately, so I have characters with difficult Zaishen missions on hold.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanok Odbrook View Post
    If we're talking about "True" Survivors, then it should really be done the "old fashioned" way, and take a level 1 character through the content. I still find that harder (especially starting in Prophecies), then trying it the "False Survivor" way of just accumulating the XP. I still think they should have just made a separate title - especially since the HoM is account-wide anyway, you just don't need to have every character with every title (and I'm a OCD completionist - go figure).
    My latest 0-death LS got that by playing the game normally (mostly). I did some snowball fights with her last wintersday, but mostly because of the extra presents it gave (duo accounting it). But she's reached the Shiverpeaks, captured all elites in the desert and has started on the Shiverpeaks. She's also almost completed EotN (don't want to complete it completely until I've vanquished Kryta as I don't want any WiK content active...) But she's also done a few extra z-missions, bounties and lately, vanquishes, which also give extra XP.

My first non-0-death LS, got the title by pure questing, missioning, vanquishing and elite capping. I got triple protector on him, vanquished the entire Istan Island and captured all elites in the Desert and some in the Shiverpeaks. Especially getting protector is lucrative these days. Those books (especially the Prophecies one) will give a lot of XP!

PS: Answered my own question from post on last page - You can only fill in one book using the pay for page method. Just did a test run in Augury Rock with 3 books in storage. I was able to pay for the page only for one of the books. Understandable, but stinks that we don't have that "Easy Button."
    You can still fill multiple books. Just put them in your bag and put an unfilled book first in line. Then, when you redo the mission, put the next unfilled book first in line.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    My latest 0-death LS got that by playing the game normally (mostly)....

My first non-0-death LS, got the title by pure questing, missioning, vanquishing and elite capping. I got triple protector on him, vanquished the entire Istan Island and captured all elites in the Desert and some in the Shiverpeaks. Especially getting protector is lucrative these days. Those books (especially the Prophecies one) will give a lot of XP!
    Same here for my lone 0-deather between my two accounts (not including the lower level mules I will eventually play with). Was a Nightfall character whom I just took through the storyline up to the point where the other continents were accessible. I moved over to Proph to do complete that campaign first and get the 50,000 XP ascension bonus. I ended up dying about an hour after hitting LS on him when trying to map during the final battle with the Lich. It ticked me off so much I ended up deleting the character (who was over a year old by that point), and starting again. Now he's almost hit 4 million XP and am taking him through the Far Shiverpeaks - still at 0-deaths this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    You can still fill multiple books. Just put them in your bag and put an unfilled book first in line. Then, when you redo the mission, put the next unfilled book first in line.
    Ahh, I figured that - you still have to repeat the mission each time, though. I was hoping there would be a "bug" where you would only have to do the mission once and as long as you already had books in your possession or in storage, just buy the pages for all the others.

Hanok

For anyone going with my suggestion to do DoA, I tried it in HM, but it adds so significantly to the time and danger that in no way is it worth it.

I think I've got the team build to consistently do a full run including Foundry though, which dramatically improves my experience, and of course profit, per run. I'm using the standard ultra-defensive cheese: 1 illusion mesmer, 1 domination mesmer, 1 sos/resto rit, 1 AotL/prot necro, and 2 monks. The player (who doesn't need LS) in my test-case is a Cruel Spear para, so I might recommend taking Morgahn as the 7th hero if you're using me as a starting point. I'm currently using a curses/channeling necro who is mostly there to provide a second SW/ARage.

I have FIVE heroes with hex removal, including two with spells that remove multiple hexes. Hexes can be horribly crippling for critical team members in DoA, and other than not over-aggroing, are pretty much the only danger your would-be survivor will face.

Edit: Of course you could just use cons and probably waltz through it all while smoking heroin, I haven't tried that so I can't comment. The using cons, not heroin. Actually I haven't tried either.
    Last edited by Fluffball; 20-04-2011 at 02:22.

We oldies had a harder time without tomes, a wiki and consumables. It took me weeks to get past Thunderhead Keep, granted, I am a terrible player, but still. Nowadays everyone and their mums breeze through Thunderhead Keep.

So I personally think it is good they gave the old characters with more history a chance to get this title, I don't see the purpose of two different titles. No one can tell if you worked for your title doing missions and all, or if you just farmed it, that you yourself know is the most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Juiced View Post
    We oldies had a harder time without tomes, a wiki and consumables. It took me weeks to get past Thunderhead Keep, granted, I am a terrible player, but still. Nowadays everyone and their mums breeze through Thunderhead Keep.

So I personally think it is good they gave the old characters with more history a chance to get this title, I don't see the purpose of two different titles. No one can tell if you worked for your title doing missions and all, or if you just farmed it, that you yourself know is the most important.
    For me, it is just a matter of principle - the Survivor title as it is now is not really "Survivor" as it was originally conceived - to have 0 deaths. Now it's just an XP accumulator title. Of course opening up EotN for level 10's allowed quicker access to the preferred farming method, but that 0 deaths was still the crux of the title.

The arguments about being noobs and not knowing about having a reward for not dying have been around since the title was implemented. I will admit that when I first heard about the title, I was miffed that my original characters up to that point would not be able to achieve it. But that was until I realized that it would have made no difference in any event. I have always, and will always play this (and any) game with the goal of not dying while playing. It's my playstyle - it's how I learned to play back when games were text based and/or green-lined mazes. I even went as far to create a trial account at one point to take a test character through content before the characters on my two "main" accounts, just so I would have some idea of what was to come. I actually was able to get through Kryta and hit level 15 before the first test character died (and doing this as my first run through content with henchies back when they were really c**p), so it was entirely possible to achieve Survivor before Survivor existed, and that's why the title was implemented in the first place (similar to the manner of LDoA). So in the end, even if the title had been implemented from day one, my playstyle would have been unaffected, and I ultimately would not have done anything different while playing.

I always felt that those complained about not having a shot at the title seemed a bit disingenuous. After all, if you are playing the game in the manner you find most enjoyable, why would you change your playstyle for the sake of one title - especially considering the fact that the HoM is account-wide anyway. That's why, even with my need to collect and complete things on all characters, I'm OK with not having this particular title - because the fact that I failed to keep my characters alive is the consequence that is the result. If it so happens that some or all of my other characters end up getting the title, it will be because I succeeded in my playstyle, but the title certainly isn't something that is directing how I am going to play from here on out, and certainly isn't something I am going to consider as an accomplishment for characters that have died multiple times.

Hanok
    Last edited by Hanok Odbrook; 20-04-2011 at 19:20.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    I always felt that those complained about not having a shot at the title seemed a bit disingenuous. After all, if you are playing the game in the manner you find most enjoyable, why would you change your playstyle for the sake of one title
    Simple reason: I like to try different playstyles. I'll play completely different on a survivor than on a non-survivor. Take my necro. I created him, first because I just loved the Nightfall male necromancers. They are so ugly, they're beautiful. But also because I wanted a character which I could just play without having to worry about dieing. But when the change to the LS came, I wondered if I could actually get the required amount of points without ever dieing (considering I always played him lazily, meaning I'd let my heroes do the work and res me if needed ).

I managed. And died promptly an hour after reaching the title...

On Rhonwyn, it's more a new goal to achieve. The only goal she can achieve, in fact as she has done everything else...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)