Page 83 of 207 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183 ... LastLast
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I think they removed offline mainly as DRM. That is my best guess.

I don't care about security, trading, etc in D3 because I'd play it offline single and not even farming or till the very end. I'd stop at grind, start a new profession. Thus there is no value online for me.
    I still don't get how this equates to greed. I'm not a Blizzard fanboy BY FAR, but D3 is pretty amazing so far and this seems a bit like you are just trying to convince yourself that you should wait or bargain bin.

Anyway, of the players looking to get D3, I wonder how many don't have "always on" Internet I know a lot of people still do not, but of D3 players only, I bet most do. And if Shawn isn't mad with his spotty internet, no one should be lol

Also, I don't think the D2 online population was mostly kids without credit cards... I've known a lot of adults who just loved playing it.

Tapatalk'd
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    I

GW has been down something like two days in seven years.
    WoW has only gone down outside of scheduled maintenance for maybe a week total across its 8 years and three (soon to be four) expansions.

Your opinion does not match up with facts and reality.
    both games you mention are MMO's, D3 can be played as a single player.
    your logic is failing really hard.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    I thought the realms and non-realms characters worked out ok for keeping the hacking down, didn't it? when you played online (outside of the private hosted games, those were bad) your char wasn't stored locally, so it prevented hacking. As far as I remember. I suppose they could have done that with D3 but, I'm guessing it was just a DRM thing.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'm not necessarily a fan of requiring an internet connection to play single player. However, I can understand WHY they would choose to do it that way.

However, there is no green involved with this. It's not like you have to pay blizzard $1 every time you go to play D3. Battle.net is a free service, so there can't POSSIBLY be greed involved. Ok, so maybe they are trying to get people to use the Auction House. Big deal, no one said you HAD to use it. I don't plan on using it.

Bottom line, there is no possible way greed has any part in their decision to require an internet connection for SP.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I thought the realms and non-realms characters worked out ok for keeping the hacking down, didn't it? when you played online (outside of the private hosted games, those were bad) your char wasn't stored locally, so it prevented hacking. As far as I remember. I suppose they could have done that with D3 but, I'm guessing it was just a DRM thing.
    Someone doesn't remember how SoJs became worthless after being duped to death.

I don't like this solution either, but I can also acknowledge that like 75% of my D2 time was on realms. The other 25% was in Median. If they can actually manage to keep it secure (and they fix the crap connection issues), whatever. More power to them. I'm not entirely convinced it's fool-proof, but I don't know crap about hacking, either.

EDIT: As a follow up question - Alaris, are you planning on playing Torchlight 2? It seems to have an offline component, and looks like it could be amusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Erring Ryft; 16-05-2012 at 01:48.
    Guild Wars - Erring Ryft | Guild Wars 2 - The Artless Dodger.2314

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Removing offline to implement DRM is greed. It's not a big deal for me actually (nobody asked if this was a dealbreaker for me, it is not), I am afterall very happy with Steam.

Not planning to get Torch2, and planning to wait for D3 bargain, regardless. D3 seems really good at what it is, I'm just not that in the mood for what it offers to pay full price, that is all. Especially that no offline means I'd enjoy it more after the initial manditory lag anyway.

Smart shopping.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erring Ryft View Post
    Someone doesn't remember how SoJs became worthless after being duped to death.
    was that after ver 1.09? I think I pretty much stopped around then. I don't remember there being any problems. D1 had crazy dupping problems but, I don't remember D2 having any. At least for realm games anyway.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    both games you mention are MMO's, D3 can be played as a single player.
    your logic is failing really hard.

NO.

IT.

CAN'T.

You're failing to see the part where they designed it to be an online game. This argument is like complaining that World of Warcraft is an online game, because Warcraft 3 was an offline game.

Again, arguing this point is only showcasing your ignorance about the game design and the history of the hack-infested Diablo series.

Quote Originally Posted by giggles
    D1 had crazy dupping problems but, I don't remember D2 having any.
    20,000 SoJs sold to merchants...
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Shawn is having a moment.

D2 comparison is valid for all of us who would play D3 single-player. If you want to turn this as a single vs multi (e.g. offlinr vs hacking risks is a valid trade-off to consider), fine, but at least recognize that there are single players.

Meanwhile, I think they were more concerned about piracy.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I don't think anyone is ignoring anything; I think you guys are probably just using terminology different.

Also, how is DRM greed? I'm obviously not a huge fan of DRM, but I don't think wanting people to not steal your product is really all that greedy; it's just not... altruistic.

Anyway, if anyone actually wants to play the game instead of shouting at each other about it, my Battle Tag is RDarken. Also:
    Attached Images Attached Images