GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    That's like mmo's requiring sub to survive, except those who dont't need it. D2 didn't need it. I understand the need for security for RL ttrade, but not like I care for that as a sp.

Convenient excuse or programming reality, either way it is one more con against D3. Not a big issue but still.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    I really get the feeling that shawn hates us for having playing D2 by ourselves.
    No, I hate people trying to use the 'its an offline game' argument. It's like if they try to say it enough, the devs will snap their fingers and magically create the architecture for such a thing, so that the griefers can go crazy hacking the **** out of everything and decimate all online play. You can't have it both ways, and since broadband is now widespread, complaining about having to be online to play is just ludicrous.

And I probably have the worst internet out of everyone in this thread.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    No, I hate people trying to use the 'its an offline game' argument. It's like if they try to say it enough, the devs will snap their fingers and magically create the architecture for such a thing, so that the griefers can go crazy hacking the **** out of everything and decimate all online play. You can't have it both ways, and since broadband is now widespread, complaining about having to be online to play is just ludicrous.
    You just have to think about it from someone else's perspective. The people most irritated over this are those who played D2 via IP or solo. They typically are not huge WoW fans either, from what I've seen, and may dislike MMOs altogether. So, having to be online for an experience they've traditionally had offline is a serious annoyance. There is no offline mode offered. There is no alternative way to purchase or play. Just think about that before you assume they're idiots. Yeah, we get it that Blizzard is not likely going to change it, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't firmly say WE DO NOT LIKE THIS.

Aside from time constraints and a general distaste for buying $60 games at launch, the online-only is one of the reasons I didn't buy.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Why is online-only at all a concern for someone who wants to play GW 2?

I think a lot of people are complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    I think sitting in front of error 37 played its part as well

My BT is Satenia#2717 if someone is playing on euro as well.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    Why is online-only at all a concern for someone who wants to play GW 2?

I think a lot of people are complaining just for the sake of complaining.
    Has Guild Wars ever been offline? No.

Has Diablo? Yes.

That's what people are getting at. I'll stop clarifying this point of view, though, so the dead horse can decompose in peace. I just felt the need, since people seemed to be so enamored with D3, WoW, MMOs, or Blizzard, whatever, that they couldn't see online-only as an annoyance. That is all.

With that said, D3 looks like a beautifully-constructed game. I might play it ...eventually, but it's in no way a priority. That's one nice thing about aging as a gamer. Even in my late 20s, the "must-haves" have already stopped being a priority. I can live without them. Life will go on. The only downside here is that D3 will never be on a Steam sale, but I digress...

/edit/
    My coworker bought it at Wal-Mart last night, installed, and said he had no issues getting online. Good for him.
    Last edited by Zalis; 16-05-2012 at 16:12.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I have still not had any problems getting into the game. I didn't try logging in at launch (3 AM? No thanks), but I did try soon after (7:30 AM) and it worked perfectly.

Are the issues still going on? Were they mostly in the EU?

Achievements:
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    Added! Not sure what my numbers are, though.
    You can check it from your profile (P). If you added me, I don't see any request or anything. Is this working or not.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    What it boils down to is: the game is online only. I wish it weren't so, but it is, and nothing I can do about it. I can either play anyway, or not. I probably will at some point.

What I will miss is the eventual modding that would have taken place had D3 been optionally single-player. I had so much fun with friends playing D2 mods like Zy-El, Eastern Sun, Median...perhaps Blizzard will relent sometime and offer a single-player client.
    mv

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I can understand the rare few who wish GW1 was playable offline, but I am not one of them. The point is in being to understand people with different values and priorities.

To put a number on it, if D3 was available offline, its value would double for me. Instead of 15$, I'd buy it at 30$. Still a long shot of 60$.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about