PC Gaming News
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    ah, my opinion doesnt count....gee dont I feel warm and fuzzy inside now.

but you DID ask for the devils advocate and now you just say its not the same as the masses.....I could say the same for gw--lots of people didnt like it either for whatever reason.

and not all builds need to be balanced to be fun to play---I enjoy stupid builds (heck my husband LOVES to play without anytype of healing or healer in his group!)....there are more choices for builds in a 2 profession game whether they be 'balanced' or not than a one profession game can ever offer.

but seems you no longer want a devil's advocate, so .....

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Ah sorry, I thought my role was to try to convince you... but I can't convince you that your opinions are wrong (opinions aren't right or wrong, they're preferences). All I can do against opinions is appeal to the masses, for better or worse.

Your opinions do count, but as one vote amongst many. My opinion in that respect counts as much as yours.

As for stupid builds, yes, I have to agree with you... I'll be missing those. My first character was a R/N... not a touch ranger, but a summoning ranger. She was called Alaris Blood Raven (yes, a reference to a Diablo 2 boss).

That said, I still think GW2 will offer a lot more playstyle customization (and flexibility) than other MMOs... just maybe not as much as GW1 if you include fun (but potentially bad) builds.

(sorry if I come across as ... sometimes, I don't mean to)
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyfiep View Post
    2 no rez...then what can you put in that spot?????
    3 oh boy I get to pick an elite---which is how gw is now--and only one. (from how many choices?) which has cause much debate from the start--why only one????
    2. There's no res spot. You use "use" button (default f) to res people. No skills required. There's 5 weapon skills, one heal, 3 utility skills and an elite skill. You must have misunderstood or read something.

3. That's why it's called elite.. One gamechanging skill, that can be used only occasionally. Why can we have only one? That's how it is and if we had several of them, no one would use anything but them and they wouldn't be that special in the end.
    Last edited by Mehtis; 26-05-2011 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by cosyfiep View Post
    there are more choices for builds in a 2 profession game whether they be 'balanced' or not than a one profession game can ever offer.
    I would argue that quality of choice is superior to quantity of choice. If you have 40 skills total for your class but each and every one of them is distinct and useful then that is much better than having 100 skills total but with many of those excessively narrow, slight variations or simply weaker than another skill. Some might like those very narrow skills but most likely don't care much about them so the added complications aren't worth it.

I would rather have 5 more-or-less equally viable major builds per class (with minor variations for each of them, depending on what kind of condition or boon or heal etc you prefer or is suitable for any given dungeon) than 2 strong builds, 3 gimmick builds, 2 mediocre builds and any number of bad builds. With fewer parts it also becomes easier to keep track of all considerations you must have when you tweak a skill or two for a weapon that is under-performing. It's just sensible large-scale game design.

For me it seems like GW2 developers feels that every player is about to cheat or missuse the system.
    In every RPG game that contain dodge that i have ever seen, the dodge doesn't use any energy/magicka/fatigue, why GW2 need to limit the amount of dodging that a player can preform.

Regarding weapon skills, why cant a player have a choice of 5 skills out of 10 or 15, in this way every player weapon will be unique.

Why dose Anet find that it is required to dictate my build, what if i dont want an elite skill, in this way i will lose skill no 10.
    I might be totally mistaken here but a kick is a warrior wielding a sword skill, why cant it be a free skill like res, dose one with a dagger cant kick?
    Last edited by Rhinala; 27-05-2011 at 00:39.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Guild

Cold Steel Brigade
    I think people are confused. As far as I have seen there will be customization available to the weapon skills through the use of the traits. As there are over 100 available traits per profession(according to this article) there should be literally millions of builds that are possible. Now these traits aren't going to allow the crazy combos that cosy wants, but there will still be more to the weapon skills than just I swing a sword instead of a dagger.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    @Rhinala: moving out of the way is free, it's the rolling dodge that costs. I can understand it though, it's encouraging strafing, and keeping rolls for last-second.

About the weapon skill, I kinda agree... it could be cool. I also see traits as playing a big role in customizing the weapon. But most professions also come with many choices of weapons, and you can often combo main hand and off hand as you see fit. We'll see how quickly the skills 1-5 become repetitive or cookie-cutter when we play it though.

@Khanisaurus: I think traits will make big differences... I mean, in GW1, how do builds differ? Well, one ele build is good at blinding opponents, another snares instead, and a third one does more damage... Well, you can do that with traits now.

Consider how many similar skills there are in GW1. Now consider how many are really variations on the same skill, but with different traits.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    all the claims you made is done trough looking without using, it's like looking at soda and already say you don't like it, you can't know till you tried it.
    He can still read the ingredients. If I know I don't like the taste of sucralose, then it's likely I won't like the drink.

Final judgement will have to wait till you actually try it, of course. Perhaps other flavors mask the one you don't like. It just doesn't look as inviting anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    A balanced game is one that offers many equally-viable alternatives.

And no, I don't consider "everyone has the same build" as balanced, I consider it incredibly unbalanced, because there's no alternative. It's literally a game with all its weight on one side.
    Everyone having the same build can be balanced. For example, a Quake-style FPS where everybody starts with the same gun can be very well-balanced.

Your bolded statement is wrong on other levels too. Balance isn't "everything is equally good", not even "many things are equally good". Balance is "the player showing the most skill, wins". Everything else is derived from this.
    If part of that skill is recognizing viability, then having alternatives of varying degree of viability/efficiency can be balanced. Buildmaking in GW1 is part of player skill, and recognizing the viability of a certain build is part of buildmaking.

moving out of the way is free, it's the rolling dodge that costs. I can understand it though, it's encouraging strafing, and keeping rolls for last-second.
    I'm sorry but dont agree with this assumption, dodging can be used for a lot more then strafing it can be used as a way to escape AoE damage, a way to flee from damage and gain leverage in next attack, means of manipulating enemies to follow.
    Dungeon and Dragons Online use dnd rules 3.5 thy are a bit more restrictive then Guild Wars, if a player chose to have a tumble skill that player will be able to dodge to any direction without any cost.
    People might use it a lot at the beginning but when the novelty will be over thy will stop.
    Charging energy for dodging to prevent strafing is the same as charging energy for jumping to prevent bunny hopping.

Edit: if strafing is the main reason for the energy cost why the backward and foreword dodge aren't free.
    Last edited by Rhinala; 27-05-2011 at 10:38.