GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I don't think engineers have access to better guns. Flamethrowers, yes. But the guns will be the same as thieves or mesmers.

Also, for Erasmus's sake...

Anyone can rez anyone else in GW2. In GW1, anyone could provided they took a rez. That's true if you die of a meteor to the head, or eaten by the undead, or something. But not old age. Somehow, you can't rez someone from old age.
    Last edited by Alaris; 26-05-2011 at 23:52.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    Obviously alaris, the thieves steal the good guns from the engineers.

GWOnline.Net Member
    You're probably right Alaris, I was just going with what GrimShade said about non-engineers getting flintlock guns while engineers get the good stuff.

And no one likes old people. No rez for them!

EDIT: This just in. Engineer FAQ:

http://www.arena.net/blog/frequently...t-the-engineer
    Last edited by Erasmus; 27-05-2011 at 00:36.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    YES! THEY CONFIRMED THAT ENGINEERS HAVE TACTICAL NUKES! WOOT!

Hahahah, in your face, elementalists. Heat-seeking missiles will also be awesome against thieves.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Sound like they are getting more bad feedback than they expected. Lot’s of things coming out telling us how it’s ok and it will be fun.

The more and more I argue this it’s not the engineer that I’m not liking, it’s how far they took the Charr into their ‘industrial revolution.’ Tanks and Cars, mines and grenades make this lose the flavor of the game as we saw by just about every other class that was announced. We move from mammoth tree monsters marching along the open fields to Charrmobiles and Charrtanks. We have a Ranger that magically ignites the ground and fires eight arrows through the fire to a tech savy Engineer that sets up a gatling gun drops a napalm grenade on the ground to ignite the earth and fires a spread through the flames. I can grant they will make game play work, but it loses something for me.

Usually magic and tech are the antithesis of each other and here we have an engineer magically absorbing attacks. A gunslinger I can deal with, a tech using hunter I can work with. We also generally see a balance in tech to magic abilities. I can grant that skill wise they aren’t an issue, but where’s my magic motor bike? Why do we get to Charr land and see tech that can march across Tyria and knock down cities by rolling over them, and the Charr just weren’t motivated to invade?

I’ll probably not play an Engineer so I’ll wrap up my complaints. I’ve been trying to keep them to ‘constructive’ rather than complaints about the class existing in the first place. I guess ’m getting too old to Rez.

GWOnline.Net Member
    If you want a magic motorbike I suggest waiting for the third game in the series, set yet another 250 years into the future.

Let's face it, that would own.

Well, armor/swords/bow/spear (general medieval warfare) did co-exist with early matchlock weapons for quite some time. Guns were expensive, and people never realized their true potential. And often, the reloading cost so much time, it was more effective to shoot your gun once, grab a sword and run for the enemy. So there was a time when knights in shining armor existed alongside matchlock guns for some time. Obviously, as guns became more effective, the armors were dumped. Instead of learning how to shoot bow and arrow, people were learning how to reload a cheap matchlock/flintlock. In those days, it was also not uncommon to find ceramic pots filled with gunpowder which were flung at the enemy. I believe even some revolving barrel flintlocks were developed back then, but they had a tendency to go off all at the same time. The engineer is of course fantasy, with their turret guns, but the basics could have existed around the 17th century.
    My problem with the engineer is that it looks way to modern. Why does the hand grenade look like modern hand grenade? Why doen't it look like a small pot with a fuse? Why doesn't the mine look more fantasylike? It now looks more like a normal mine with a bleeping LED on top. I dig the Engineer, and I will definitely try it, but making it less modern and more 'oldschool' would be great.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    How can get Anet out of this mess ... my 2 cts about the Engineer issue

It is obvious that a large portion of the GW community has problems with the way the gunpowder & clockwork technology is introduced in GW. ArenaNet could address the issue with taking a look at some things.

1) Rifles & Pistols
    Although some might not like those two weapons, nobody really complained when those appeared on the weapon's list. Why? We knew they would be just two other weapons and everybody expected them to be balanced with other ranged weapons (bows) or magic effects.

2) The Thief's pistol skills
    That was the next step. Dual wielding, fast firing pistols fit a Jon Woo Eastern movie very well, raised some eyebrows with the players, but only made people think: "Nah, probably not a class I will chose to play in the beginning."

3) The Engineer as a class
    My first though was: Ha, a Ritualist with clockwork gimmicks & guns instead of spirits and staffs. I liked the Rit, but I don't get the technology vibe. On the other hand, the Asura's in the GW novels used a lot of elixirs & potions ... that wasn't too game braking in the GW fantasy environment.

(notice, there isn't a problem yet)

4) (Charr + Human) Engineer skills and how they look on screen
    That's when most of the people here, including myself started yelling OMG!
    Jump Shot => Everybody thinks about Quake, which brakes it for most
    Net Shot => Most people would not rant if it was spring driven catapult, but shooting that from a musket is just too much for many to bear
    Armored Charr cars in the background => way beyond DaVinci's sketches of tanks, parachutes and automatic guns....

I could go on, but it is always that little bit too much Sci-Fi that seems to annoy most of the posters here

You could tone down some skins: grenades could be iron balls with a fuse like NohJo said in the previous post. The turrets could be repeating crossbows rather than 19th century Gatling guns...

5) Asura & Sylvari Engineers
    I am adamant with my opinion here: Sylvari should not have the same skins as e.g. Charr Engineers. If I see A Sylvari Engineer using a blinking and beeping proximity mine instead of a volatile mushroom or a plant that shoots thorns and barbs, I am out.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline.Net Member
    Why the hell would sylvari not use technology? That doesn't make sense. Especially for engineers. Because they're plant people? Hey, every other playable species is a bunch of meat people but does anybody complain that they use swords and grenades instead of bone clubs and muscle bags filled with toxic pus?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    1) Rifles & Pistols
    Although some might not like those two weapons, nobody really complained when those appeared on the weapon's list.
    Oh yes, people did complain. Don't you remember?!? We definitely had a QQ thread or two on this.

3) The Engineer as a class
    My first though was: Ha, a Ritualist with clockwork gimmicks & guns instead of spirits and staffs. I liked the Rit, but I don't get the technology vibe.
    That was my reaction too.

grenades could be iron balls with a fuse like NohJo said in the previous post. The turrets could be repeating crossbows rather than 19th century Gatling guns...
    I'd be happy with that too.

If I see A Sylvari Engineer using a blinking and beeping proximity mine instead of a volatile mushroom or a plant that shoots thorns and barbs, I am out.
    Really?

I mean, I thought it was bad that dwarves use guns and elves use bows... why can't an elf use a gun if he wants to?

The tech is already there. The Sylvari doesn't have to re-invent it, he just has to copy it. To me, it makes more sense this way, even if reskinning everything for each race would look cooler.
    == Alaris & clone ==