PC Gaming News
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I wouldn't mind seeing the turrets having a racial theme to them rather than one design for all the races.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Karuro View Post
    Sylvari use Biological Warfare.
    And worse.

Walking carnivorous plants shooting acid from their eyes. Sponge mind-control devices. Leafy exosuits. Bramble golems.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherGrimm View Post
    Arguing about believablity in a fantasy world setting is kind of highly ironic and I've always been a big fan....carry on.....
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    I see all the tech in GW2 as kind of falling under the Steampunk genre, which is also part of the fantasy genre. So I don't really see the problem...
    Technology = reality
    Fantasy = fantasy

Unlike Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, not everyone likes reality to intrude upon their fantasy.

Its depends on what class of fantasy you have. You can have Space Fantasy if you want. Part of the issue is that GW first grounded itself in Medieval/High Fantasy, a genre that most people believe should be free from more modern and technological trappings. They would like to maintain the "Knight in Shining Armor" aspect of that fantasy. Unfortunately, bringing guns into the mix makes it too close to reality and history. On top of that, not everyone is a fan of Steampunk, just like not everyone is a fan of High Fantasy, I am sure. The problem is that those who were fans of HF came to GW for that reason, because that is what it was, and some of those obviously do not enjoy SpF.

My issue isn't with the type of fantasy, per se, though of course my preferred is the HF. I don't mind SpF, but for me personally, it needs to be separate from the HF, because of the basis in technology that it has. My other concerns are that of which I mentioned previously - are we going to see true technology here, or a hodge podge hypocritical mess.

Hanok
    Last edited by Hanok Odbrook; 20-05-2011 at 20:35.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Something to keep in mind is that whilst the Asura has always had technology that is something that has always been secondary to the game because there has never been a class that utilize it, until now. Personally I don't mind it being in the game, but the Engineer sounds boring as hell and I probably won't even try it.

Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    well, maybe the glue comes from the sylvari plants, thus the green mush.
    ....we don't talk about where the "glue" comes from....

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I thought glue was made out of centaurs.
    == Alaris & clone ==

I’m pretty much with Hanok on the Engineer aspect. It looks stupid to me and I doubt I’ll play one. I never liked the Asuran golems, I am not feeling the combination of Tech and magic in this one. Perhaps I remember Arcanum too much and frankly that combined steam punk with magic much better. For an Engineer class they really should not make him look like the lone wanderer he should look a bit more respectable and techy if they want to pull off steam punk.

I realize the class is in, but I feel if they want to go in this direction, they should move to more steam punk instead of fallout.

Makes me want to dig out Arcanum…

Interesting...

Out of all the professions released so far, this supposedly "new" profession has received the most mixed responses yet - not just here but on many other sites as well.

Some people like "steam-punk" engineers. Others don't like guns'n turrets in "my" fantasy game.

I would have expected more enthusiastic responses. But perhaps it was good to release the Engineer now (which I would have preferred to call the Mechanist), and leave the best for last :-)

Question: How do you think this mixed reception will translate into overall popularity once the game releases? Once the mesmer is released, we should make a poll to see what people here think :-)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    1) Remember the responses to guns? Yeah, well, I do. It was quite mixed. I am not surprised about the responses to Engineer, I am mixed myself. Don't care much for the style, but do like the gameplay. Also, pistol + shield... how awesome is that?

2) Finishing with mesmer is a good move considering.

3) Plenty of traditional and exciting professions, people don't have to like steampunk to enjoy the game. Sure, the charr and engineer cater to that, but you can play ranger or elementalist and pretty much ignore the turrets etc if you don't play them. And yes, grouping with engineers doesn't mess up with my world, provided I get to play a role I enjoy... others might feel different.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanok Odbrook View Post
    Technology = reality
    Fantasy = fantasy
    Healing turrets = Fantasy

I get people aren't sold on guns in a High Fantasy game, I wasn't at first. But the way it is styled, the art, and the role the class plays works for me. I'm actually pretty impressed with how Anet have managed to make them an inclusion without making them look terrible. Some of the stuff seems to be centred around potions and sticky goos, so I don't feel like the Engineer is defined by the fact he just wields guns. For me, they look like a fun hit-and-run supporter sort of deal. They don't feel out of place to me, but that's just me.

And besides, so many other classes to choose from. And mesmers will probably be able to tie knots in the gun barrel with their minds, so it's all good.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728