PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    If we stopped paying politicians fat salaries with amazing healthcare and huge pensions, I'm pretty sure we would see the laws of this country (and the politicians' stances on these issues) change pretty quickly.
    Although the politicians do make great salaries, I'd wager that most of them make most of their income from other things.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidCoqui View Post
    Although the politicians do make great salaries, I'd wager that most of them make most of their income from other things.
    Another reason why you could cut down their salaries
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

I never thought I'd see the day. Vermont is communist now. It won't take long until they elect Kim Jong-il for governor.

Just kidding, welcome to civilization Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Just kidding, welcome to civilization Vermont
    After all, this worked out <so> well everywhere else it's been done.

Besides, all those goat-milkers, dying in the streets because there wasn't any health care available in their state... they're just preventing a horrible human tragedy, right?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I will second Jam's sentiment... Welcome to civilization, Vermont.

Please ignore J. He's clinging to his backwards ways.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I will second Jam's sentiment... Welcome to civilization, Vermont.

Please ignore J. He's clinging to his backwards ways.
    Yeah, it's not like the Democrats are salivating over how disastrous "Romneycare" has turned out to be next door to VT. Funny thing about you commie faithful - you somehow think that the way you put out a conflagration is to douse it with more fuel...

After all, if you can just pass the <right> law or eliminate the <right> person, we'll suddenly be living in Utopia!

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I thought it was righties that were gun-ho. The left prefers peace.

As for healthcare... it's a problem whichever way you go about it. The difference is whether you think the poor have a right to it or not.

If you come up with a good solution that rightist yet allows the poor access to healthcare they need, then I'm all ears.
    == Alaris & clone ==

So where's the money for this coming from? Ben & Jerry?

Taking care of people is great, but I think the "right" to healthcare is a bit presumptuous. Lots of that could be taken care of privately if people were more charitable or weren't living beyond their means.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The issue is really about whether the more wealthy want to take on the burden of paying for the less fortunate's healthcare. So yes Zalis, you have a point. But see, the rich don't like to have it framed that way, so they make up claims that it's bad for the system etc to get mass compliance even though it's not the best for them.

I ask you, you really think these same rich people would be willing to fork over the costs of private care for those who can't afford insurance?

If you're all Darwinism about it, that's fine by me. At least present the issues and your position as such. It's the dishonesty that bugs me.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I ask you, you really think these same rich people would be willing to fork over the costs of private care for those who can't afford insurance?
    Not really, because very rich people almost inevitably work to preserve or improve their existing wealth. To an extent, that's what makes them great business people. There's nothing wrong w/ handling money well. To their detriment, the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Even their charity is often a smaller percentage than that of those on more modest or meager incomes.

I'm not especially political. All I'm saying is that I have to wonder where the money is coming from. Our government is just like a lot of its citizens, living beyond its means and in denial about it.

If you're all Darwinism about it, that's fine by me. At least present the issues and your position as such. It's the dishonesty that bugs me.
    That's a bit of a cheap swipe. If I didn't care about the sick & poor, I'd just say forget them. I simply don't know if a country of our size can stay afloat once we make healthcare a "right," though. As it stands, I'm not really sure of a fair system that won't further screw our country's "budget." (a laughable word in this context) I'm not saying people aren't worth paying for ... I'm saying a government without money can't stay afloat to pay for anybody at all. So, we'd better be very, very careful about how we handle these things.

So, color me as cautious, rather than putting forward a workable alternative.