PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    If you're craving a good space fight, try and find Decent Freespace 1 or 2. Old game (late 90s) but, bloody fantastic for space fighting. I wish X-Wing was like that. There's a community made BSG mod for FS if that tickles your fancy. I also remember reading about a Babylon5 mod for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    If you're craving a good space fight, try and find Decent Freespace 1 or 2. Old game (late 90s) but, bloody fantastic for space fighting. I wish X-Wing was like that. There's a community made BSG mod for FS if that tickles your fancy. I also remember reading about a Babylon5 mod for it as well.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried those and probably still have FS2 Open Source installed somewhere. I guess I should've emphasized that I'd like a new experience. FS2 was great, but I've played it. The BSG mod is actually pretty good, but I don't think they haven't really been updating it beyond the initial 3-4 missions.

There was a Crysis mod called X321 that looked amazing, but I'm pretty sure its production has halted. IIRC, they switched to another engine or were aiming at indie, rather than mod. Either way, something seems to have gone awry.

The Eternal Silence mod for HL2 might be worth checking out again. I wasn't thrilled by it years ago, but may updates have made it better. Honestly, the UT2k4 mode that let you FPS inside and Space Sim outside was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Zalis; 01-07-2011 at 16:34.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    I -really- need to get hold of a decent flight stick for Freespace, methinks. I got it off GOG last week (along with the sequel) and while I'm enjoying it, the keyboard controls - as surprisingly and wonderfully well-mapped as they are for a 90s game - don't give me enough fine control to line my shots up properly.

Also, I'm getting scrappy text in the first game. Haven't tried the second yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    The Eternal Silence mod for HL2 might be worth checking out again. I wasn't thrilled by it years ago, but may updates have made it better. Honestly, the UT2k4 mode that let you FPS inside and Space Sim outside was a lot of fun.
    The two Assault maps that had the attacker team taking on a space station and a couple of ships over a moon respectively?
    Last edited by The Pointless; 01-07-2011 at 16:50. Reason: Whoops, typo. And I wasn't even using my phone. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    The two Assault maps that had the attacker team taking on a space station and a couple of ships over a moon respectively?
    Yeah, that one. I remember it being a blast, even if the FPSing was better than the space combat half.

Achievements:
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

Conan isn't so bad so far. I did a long (longer then I wanted cause I want to do some things today) personal story line chain. Had to remap the controls a bit to suit me and I had no idea how to wave my broken bottle at bad guys when I started but, it seems ok so far. Much better then LOTR imo.

Conan is cool. I download 8 gigs and I started making a character and the authentication server crapped out. That's after it being down for "maintenance" for all day yesterday. Cool stuff. Lots and lots of restrictions on what classes I can play to. Can only play 3 of the 4 races to which makes me sad.
    Downloaded it myself about two hours ago. It's been "updating" ever since. Another eleven hours and I may finally be allowed to actually play the damned thing- by which point I'll probably have lost all interest (happening already).

Well the game is like 30gb so yeah that will take a while to download.

Achievements:
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

I still like it a lot more then LOTR. It still suffers from the playing alone things that most mmos have (hope to gawd GW2 fixes this) and I've been largely skipping the fetch quests but, the enviroments are pretty interesting. It has that dark jungle feel from the books. So I like that. The characters are butt ugly though and I'm wearing rags for armour still. The combat is a bit gimmicky I think but, it at least makes things a bit more interesting then normal. I haven't really bothered with the dodging and blocking so much as I just throw on my passive heals and bang away with spells and if it's not looking so good, I try and run lol. It sometimes works. More often then not, so that's good. Killing with a barbarian is a lot easier then with a priest of mitra. Well, so far as I can tell. I want to get off this island and get something that looks like clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    So you mean it's actually exactly like WoW except for... Well yeah, exactly like WoW?
    Clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringsgold View Post
    Well the game is like 30gb so yeah that will take a while to download.
    Yeah, it finally finished about half an hour ago.

Unfortunately, it keeps locking up every time I login. I get the loading screen and it just sits there. Gave up after three tries and a ten minute wait for each.

Ah well. Not like I paid anything.