PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I did the LotRo beta up until about level 23'ish. And yeah, there was a ton of walking to do. My major gripe was how absurd the pricing was. In terms of points / money, a horse cost $17, and about 100 gold coins in game, per character. Just. . . No.

That aside, I enjoyed the combat quite a bit. I played a berserker or whatever the game called them. I heard Warden's have even more in depth combos and things.

If they ever fixed the pricing, I'd give it another look. (Also no reward points for beta testers? Fffh!)

I'm guessing these WoW trials still won't be able to talk with people? That was the most annoying thing for me.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    LOTR online is very very WoWish I'm told.

On the flipside, it looks like Black Prophecy is going open beta. If I didn't have a ton of things I need doing right now, I'd give it a shot.

http://www.blackprophecy.com/

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    LOTR online is very very WoWish I'm told.

On the flipside, it looks like Black Prophecy is going open beta. If I didn't have a ton of things I need doing right now, I'd give it a shot.

http://www.blackprophecy.com/
    Ooh, space combat... I may try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    Ooh, space combat... I may try that out.
    And free to play upon release, fantastic.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Eh, disagree that LotRO is WoW clone-y. LotRO is like WAR - Rather, WAR is like LotRO.

One thing I love: The classes are all work differently and each have a unique mechanism to the way they work in combat (ex. Wardens have a system called Gambits, Captains have Heralds / War Banners, Champions have Fervor). It's not just about their group role or giving them different kinds of skills; you have to play every class differently.
    It ISN'T a real groupy game. I've done some PUGs and stuff, but not often. My best friend plays with me, so we duo a ton of content. Plus, a lot of the stuff is soloable. I'm in a pretty awesome guild who are always doing end-game content together. I'm finally starting to creep closer to the max level and they're raising it in Sept. Sad panda.

To be honest, I HATED LotRO at first. None of the classes were appealing to me, I didn't understand the book quests, the combat was weird, why is my health called morale and mana called power, etc. etc. etc. But I went back to it and fell in love. I haven't stuck with an MMO this long since EQ.

Don't really care about all this, its a better businessmodel obviously but doesnt make the game any more fun. It's not as if I wasn't playing because it's so expensive.

Also, AoC is F2P too as of today, if anyone feels like turning their graphics card into a toaster.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    AoC was sort of fun.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Honestly, I probably would have a lvl 85 char by now if it was F2P. Not that the 15$/month is prohibitive, but rather that I don't play it enough to warrant the fee. But over time a bit of play here and there would have accumulated.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

LotRO was WoW if they took away everything that made WoW fun. My impressions.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringsgold View Post
    Don't really care about all this, its a better businessmodel obviously but doesnt make the game any more fun. It's not as if I wasn't playing because it's so expensive.

Also, AoC is F2P too as of today, if anyone feels like turning their graphics card into a toaster.
    Orly? I was waiting for this to happen. I still want to try it even though I'm expecting to hate it. I'm a fan of the old Howard books and was originally really interested in the game but, as it got closer to launch (more info was coming out) my interest took a real nosedive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zayren View Post
    LotRO was WoW if they took away everything that made WoW fun. My impressions.
    I don't know if that review is more or less harsh then mine was.