PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I got mine to level 20 (and survivor 1--almost 2 now)...but still rarely play mine (kinda like my paragon--but she managed to finish factions).
    I am not much of a melee person, so dervish doesnt really interest me either--but yeah, they do have some cool animations!

If you're going to constantly compare the derv to the other professions, no you should not "bother" getting it to lvl 20. If on the other hand you're actually going to give it a chance and try and understand the way it and it's skills work, definitely go ahead and try it out.

There are a lot of skills out there that are good for a derv right now. It's no longer about using asuran scan and aohm to get your damage over 200 (or even 500) while spamming scythe attacks non-stop. It has good ias, ims, condition removal (even some hex removal), with the ability to afflict cracked armor, deep wound, blind, burning, and more conditions on others. It has multiple skills that inflict life-stealing (which is big when hitting multiple enemies), and even has interrupts. It can even do multiple things at the same time due to it's enchant stripping properties. Cracked armor and deep wound can be inflicted at the same exact time. ...or you could use lyssa's haste and twin moon sweep on a monk to interrupt it's heal while healing yourself for at least 100 hp... and dealing a ton of damage at the same time.

Idk if you'd like the derv, but think about it's skills, not about whether it's playstyle is similar to a warriors.

I used to enjoy the way they were, but I haven't really played my Derv since the update so I'm not sure. Considering that I used to enjoy playing with stripping enchants, I would guess that I'd like it more now. To be honest, I think one of the main things I would need to get used to is that I can't strip non-derv enchants... it was annoying sometimes but I liked having a prot monk being able to keep me fueled with enchants for my skills.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I enjoyed it before the update, and after as well. Comments:

1) prot monk enchants no longer fuel your strips, or you energy... but they stay on
    2) flash enchants are awesome, even to cast a split second before attacking or on the run
    3) enchant strip of derv-only skills makes it easier to manage dual prof or enchants from your team
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

You might want to try running as I ran mine all the way from Lions Arch to Henge of Denravi.I never lost or got one enchantment removed by tengu wild or wind riders.I kept Voe of Silence up most of the time.

It is one of the most interesting or annoying elites to cap up there with Monk and Rit(Rit Lord).

Quote Originally Posted by Age View Post
    You might want to try running as I ran mine all the way from Lions Arch to Henge of Denravi.I never lost or got one enchantment removed by tengu wild or wind riders.I kept Voe of Silence up most of the time.

It is one of the most interesting or annoying elites to cap up there with Monk and Rit(Rit Lord).
    It also means that you have to be self-sufficient in staying alive. No monks can help you. I'd stay away from it unless I'm doing something solo (and/or the only damage being dealt was from spells), in which case it's an awesome skill to have. It can be used to help solo vaettirs, the plains in UW and potentially other places. Can do a vaettir run in two minutes with it in fact.

As for running, you can keep it up 100% of the time, and with the right skills you can run at 50% run speed 100% of the time as well. Only class in the game that can do it because the skill is in its primary ability.

Quote Originally Posted by djacob View Post
    It also means that you have to be self-sufficient in staying alive. No monks can help you. I'd stay away from it unless I'm doing something solo (and/or the only damage being dealt was from spells), in which case it's an awesome skill to have. It can be used to help solo vaettirs, the plains in UW and potentially other places. Can do a vaettir run in two minutes with it in fact.

As for running, you can keep it up 100% of the time, and with the right skills you can run at 50% run speed 100% of the time as well. Only class in the game that can do it because the skill is in its primary ability.
    You talking about Voe of Silence or the class it self?

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Another thing I noticed: those Dervish girls are tiny. They are warrior/fighter women. Why are they shorter and smaller than Elementalists and Mesmer chicks?

I mean it makes sense with assassins since they value agility and secrecy over everything (the smaller you are, the easier to hide). And Asian people are generally smaller in size (no racism intended).

But with Dervishes this doesn't make much sense. It seems Elementalists and Mesmers have more muscle and would hit harder with a scythe. And middle eastern people are actually pretty big.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 04-07-2011 at 16:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    the assassin who is more focused on single-target hit&run tactics
    That doesn't sound like an assassin; nobody does hit and run in PvE, about 30% of sin skills are focused on making them impossible to kill, and everyone uses DB for gigantic AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
    Another thing I noticed: those Dervish girls are tiny. They are warrior/fighter women. Why are they shorter and smaller than Elementalists and Mesmer chicks?

I mean it makes sense with assassins since they value agility and secrecy over everything (the smaller you are the easier to hide). And Asian people are generally smaller in size (no racism intended).

But with Dervishes this doesn't make much sense. It seems Elementalists and Mesmers have more muscle and would hit harder with a scythe. And middle eastern people are actually pretty big.
    They are 14 years old. Notice that the male dervishes are by no means tiny.