PC Gaming News

Poll: Who makes the best custom computers for games like Guild Wars?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new custom pc for guild wars 2

okay so the only two games i ever play are gw2 and wow... well last week my pc decided its not going to load them up anymore and just completely exits the program as soon as i run it! my pc is a few years old so i figure im going to upgrade to a new gaming computer, especially since these new games like crysis 2 and battlefield 3 require crazy specifications...

so my question is, what is a good computer that will run these games? what type of budget should i have? im not great at building computers so i figure i will just buy one from a company that specializes in them. which companies make the best gaming pcs that i can get for my buck??

thanks!

Britney

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Honestly, MMOs tend to make their game work widely across computers of different generations. They want lots of buyers, so they try to make their system reqs forgiving. GW2 will likely be no exception.

We don't have the specs for GW2 yet, but frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. Basically, the higher the specs you get, the better graphics details you'll get. Also, the longer you'll be able to run GW2 and expansions (barring viruses etc).

At least, that's what I hope for. My computer died recently, so I had to get a new one. I hope it's going to be fine for GW2 when it comes out.

Good luck.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I don't know most of those companies so I don't want to say too much. However, Alienware is overpriced plain and simple. Personally, if I had to have someone else do it for me, I'd find a friend that wants to earn some extra cash, not some company who charges thousands of dollars for their label.

I knew someone in guild wars who said they had an alienware pc that was worth over $10k. I don't know if they were telling the truth or not, but I do know that it didn't give them an advantage over me. Then they had to sell it because they had to pay for vehicle repairs or something like that.

I've also heard that they aren't the best quality (at least compared to what they charge). So if I could vote against any of those names, it would be alienware.

When I was looking to upgrade my gaming PC a few months ago, I looked at the pre-built computers because I didn't really want to put together another one. However, there were always something lacking -- cheap power supply, poor expandability, too expensive, bad case/cooling, etc. I never found a brand and model that I liked. In the end, I still assembled it myself because I can be sure what went in is what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by djacob View Post
    Personally, if I had to have someone else do it for me, I'd find a friend that wants to earn some extra cash, not some company who charges thousands of dollars for their label.
    Or if you don't have such a friend, look around town and see if there is a computer shop that'll do the assembly for you. In my area shops usually charge $75 or so to assemble the PC if you buy all the parts from them. That's not a bad premium to insure you have all the parts you want.

Online, some places like MWave will also do assembly for a fee. I've never shopped at MWave personally, but I've heard they're ok.

-T

I'm getting to be middle age and I've only ever owned two computers (aside from some family computers when I was in HS and below.) A Gateway and an HP. I got good graphics cards both times, and they've been able to play games as long as I've kept the computers.

The one exception was Neverwinter Nights 2, but from what I hear pretty much no one was able to run that thing.

I can't see a computer being $10k as some recent used cars and motorcycles don't cost that much.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I can easily see a computer being 10K, but frankly, at that end, every extra buck spent gives you tiny benefits. Unless you're doing some intensive computational work, you're better off spending 1k, 2k tops on your gaming computer. Less for office work or internet usage.

What is 10k today in the computer world, will be 2k in 1-2 years. It's just not worth it.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

StormBluff
    Guild

GWOA, TRUE
    I would stay away from ibuypower, bad personal experience there. Alienware/Dell XPS are pretty much the same anymore.
    Have never heard anything bad about Falcon NW, and haven't really heard of the others listed, so they'd be my pick of company built systems - but my first choice would be a DIY, you save a ton of money (1/3 to 1/2 of cost assuming you get quality components, and who wouldn't) if you/trusted friend can put the parts together.

Look to spend 1500 -2k from any you pick/we build shop, much more is excessive mark-up, less and you're probably getting cheaply made components *cough* dell * cough*

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I hope nobody has problems with HP, because that's what I got. Tower and all.

I used to get laptops (Toshiba and whatever) but they fry easily.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Oh.I have met an Guild wars ex developer and Alpha tester is uses quad core 2.3ghx with a 3870 ATI pci express which is an HP.

I can't see a computer being over 10k unless you include the expensive software.