GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]

Professions: Now and Then

Just a fun survey, to see if people will play GW2 like they played GW1. Unfortunately, there's no good way to make this in survey form...

What I want to know is: (1) what are your favorite GW1 professions, and in the same post, (2) what GW2 professions are you most likely to play.

And maybe a small blurb on whether you picked GW2 professions based on GW1 similarity, or if you picked new playstyles, or whatever.

-----

Favorite GW1 professions (in order of preference):
    Ritualist, Ranger, Necro

GW2 most likely professions (in order of preference):
    Engineer, Guardian, Necro, Elementalist, Ranger

I do love being able to run a support role but I also prefer to support as a hybrid with a different role as well. I also love summons (or pets). I am also generally happy with professions that are more versatile.

The GW1 ranger ranked high due to versatility, not due to the pet... whereas the GW2 ranger ranks low (but still makes the list) because he is the only profession I can't see playing a support role.

Engineer is high on the list despite the tech, and more because of it's similar gameplay to ritualist and general versatility and flexibility.

Guardian is high too with bubbles and prots, despite my general aversion to melee. It just seems too fun to pass, and no, I don't plan on playing it ranged.

I never cared for nuking, but the water elementalist has my attention, especially given the ease of switching elements.

The necro also seems like a natural choice for me.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Favorite GW1 professions (in order):
    Mesmer, Paragon, Ritualist, Monk

GW2 most likely professions (in order):
    Mesmer, Warrior, Guardian

Mesmer was always my favorite because it was one of the few times I was able to put together my own build just by knowing the class and skills really well; and every build I put together worked REALLY well. Plus, it's a "more difficult" / active class to play and I enjoy that kind of brain activity (that's why I play a Warden in LotRO). Plus, it's a super versatile class. Also, those duds rock.
    Paragon is fun because I love support roles, buffing and healing allies. Same with Rit and Monk. I'm not usually a fan of being Main Healer (again, I prefer support), but, for some reason, monking in GW is something I enjoy (though it's been awhile).

If Mesmer is the same sort of class it was in GW1, I'm def on board.
    Warrior is #2 because of shouts and banners. Seems a lot like the GW1 Paragon or the LotRO Captain. I love this kind of class: Not really tanking (I hate being MT and I prefer a 2HS over sword & board), but able to take a beating and buff / heal myself or others. So much fun.
    Guardian is the same kind of logic.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I was tempted to put monk in the list, but he got very little gameplay afterall because although the heal/prot is fun, the smite didn't feel like it was developed. The rit seems like a much more well-rounded character.

The paragon was meant to be my main, but I dropped that because of repetitive spammy gameplay and lack of versatility. I do love the concept of a hard-shelled support-oriented gameplay though, and I am looking forward to guardians for a revamped version of that.

Mesmers I do love the concept of and the gameplay mechanic, but it's not for me. At least, not GW1 mesmers. I'll be keeping a close eye to the GW2 version, but I am generally not a shutdown / damage person.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    What I liked about Mesmers was that the damage was proactive. You had to carefully select your targets for maximum effect.

Paragon is a little repetitive, I guess, but I found most of the classes in GW (... and most games) to be kind of repetitive.
    Smite was definitely not developed (except RoJ), but monks were for heals, anyway.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Every build can be repetitive, but some professions allow for a lot more diverse builds. Ranger for example can easily be melee, beastmaster, interrupter, or spirit spammer. I even played it as a healer once and got the job done. Paragon is hard to play as something else than shouts & spear... although you can go /W with melee weapons.

At first I loved the mesmer and how I had to carefully pick what skill I used on what target... but that makes it hard to make a build that is useful everywhere. Either you take arcane echo (expensive as it is) or you risk having all useful skills recharging while some available skills are useless (given the foes in front of you). Admittedly, GW2 mesmers could turn me around.

I think smite was meant to be a hybrid with heal or prot, which would explain why so many are signets.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GW1:
    Mesmer Ritualist Monk

GW2 (based on playing the demo):
    Thief Guardian

Yeah I've already got a problem since none of my top three GW1 classes are confirmed to be in GW2 yet. I hope to add Mesmer to the second list at some point, of course :-)

I fully expected to gravitate to the clothie casters in GW2. The elementalist was pretty good but I totally fell in love with the thief. I also expected to dislike the guardian and was completely wrong. So for those that already have in mind what their favorites will be, I still encourage you to try out all classes. You may find yourself surprised, as I did.
    ~Bella Sera~
    PAL it up!
    No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

GW1 - #1 Warrior, #2 Mez, #3 Ranger, #4 Assassin

I’ve always been drawn to a melee swordsman so Warrior it was, he’s still my main and my namesake. I’ve even gone so far as learning to use swords IRL, fun! Mez I loved because she was different not the old elly damage or Nec raise the dead thing. Other than that I really don’t like casters much so Ranger, Assassin, Dervish/Paragon were the ones I like.

GW2: Warrior, Assassin (oops I mean Thief), Mez (expected,) Guardian

I had to debate which would get the namesake this time Warrior or Guardian and I sided with Warrior. Maybe too much video of Guardians with staffs, they just don’t work for me. Due to all the tech and guns in the game the Assassin is really what I consider what a Warrior should be, a master of weapons. With guns you lose the need for heavy armor, so a logical warrior would drop it and embrace the new style of fighting. She also just looked dam cool. Mez I’ll play as I have high expectations for her. Guardian will be tried as well as it’s a roll I do like.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by bellissima View Post
    So for those that already have in mind what their favorites will be, I still encourage you to try out all classes.
    I have 1 of each profession in GW1, the assassin being the only one that has yet to finish a campaign. I'm working on it. I was surprised to like warrior and derv as I did, same with mesmer and monk... so the advice will be followed, time allowing.

I see the thief as a physical mesmer, to be honest. A lot of mobility, yes, but also a lot more dependent on disables etc. I can see a lot of mesmer lovers liking the thief.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimShade View Post
    Iíve even gone so far as learning to use swords IRL, fun!
    Hahah, well, I do have 2 swords, 1 bow, and 1 chain mail (in the works anyway) so yeah, I do have a bias... Much of which predates GW1 too. Oddly, despite my liking for these (and dislike for staves or guns) my choices are not really influenced by that. Gameplay beats lore in the end, for me at least.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline.Net Member
    Guild

Cold Steel Brigade
    GW1 Mesmer - Ele - Dervish - Warrior - Paragon

I loved the mesmer concept, and though I was never good enough at playing the class to compete in PvP, it is still my favorite class. I loved the classes that could solo, or in Nightfalls worked well with the Heroes. I generally prefer casters but I loved the durability of Dervish, Warrior, and Paragon. I was never a fan of rangers due to the what seemed to me bad pet AI, and I could just never get into the Rit or Monk as I not a big fan of the support classes as I solo so much. And while I loved the different looks of the Necro, I just couldn't get used to the game play.

Expected GW2 Mesmer - Engineer - Thief - Elementalist - Warrior/Guardian

To be honest the only class I am figuring I won't enjoy is Necro, I think it must be some deeprooted dislike of the lore or something, but I just don't feel drawn to the necro. Mesmer is of course unconfirmed, but expected. I love the concept so unless it just totally blows in playstyle it will most likely be my favorite again. The engineer is looking cool and the thief to me has a different feel than GW1 sins that everyone wants to compare them to. Ele and Warrior/Guardian look interesting and will definitely get playing time, as I am an altaholic anyway. I already have names reserved for Charr warrior/engineer/thief or necro, Norn mesmer/guardian/ele, Asuran engineer and a Sylvari thief or ranger or necro. I will definitely play at least one of every profession and probably at least one of every race(Humans will definitely be last on that list), and potentially one of each races subcultures(ie the Charr Ash, Blood, and Iron Legions)

I am thinking that a Norn or Charr will end up being my main anyway.

Oh and IRL I own six swords, two spears, and one battle axe and I have trained with all of them. My prized possession is a $300 'Connor MacLeod' replica katana. It is not the best fighting weapon as it is stainless steel blade takes forever to sharpen, but it is a well made and durable weapon as it is a true full tang for those that understand.
    Last edited by Khanisaurus; 13-07-2011 at 22:06.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I understand what you mean about necro lore, same with me here. Necro falls behind guardian and engineer for me purely for lore reasons, and despite that my preference for ranged and against guns would make necro my favorite.

I think thief is much more interesting balance-wise and gameplay-wise (afaik) than assassin. If I was into rogue-like gameplay (which I am not), then thief would get me really excited.
    == Alaris & clone ==