GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]

The official Dii games programming thread

Because we don't have a games programming thread.

I recently started games programming again. I got OpenGL working in C++ (with textures yay), and managed to recover old game code from my old computer. I'm currently in the works of building the UI (because UI is 90% of the game) and also recuperating whatever old code is still useful.

Fun times.

Don't ask what the game is about, I want to keep this a surprise for when it's ready for the world. Let's just say that it's a one man project for my spare time, so no big budget graphics & sounds.

-----

One aspect I can see being problematic is AI, especially foe movement. If anyone has links to good tutorials, that'd be awesome. I am not looking forward to pathfinding hell, in fact, I'll avoid it entirely if I can.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Aurora Glade[EU]
    Guild

Lore School[GWen]
    What the game is about? :P

Serious mode enabled:
    If you just started, isn't easier to play with XNA tools? Rather than jumping directly to C++
    Last edited by Sharkinu; 03-08-2011 at 20:20.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    It's about nothing.

== Alaris & clone ==

Darn, and all I can do is nothing. I hate being a game design student :P (If I knew c++, I would have offered some helping hands either with programming or graphics or art. Too bad I'm still an inexperienced student...)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    You should probably learn some programming language... it'll help you understand the programmers, if nothing else... but it could also help you get started or get a job in the industry.

I don't know what they're looking for in a gaming CV. All I know is that I am doing this solo. It's a glorious age when you can make a game and publish it (almost) entirely by yourself.

-----

That being said, it might take a while, but I will definitely need testers ;) Especially testers who know game design and can tell me not only that my game's terrible, but what I can do to fix it ;)
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I don't know what they're looking for in a gaming CV.
    1. The ability to do something. If you have made anything, a game, a small project of some kind, attach it to your CV or at least mention it and make it known that you'll let people take a look at it. Be proud of it, even if it's a Tetris clone or something.

2. Basic skill. If you're applying for a programmer job, know at least one (useful) language. It doesn't actually have to be the one that the company is using, since if you know one language, another takes like a week to learn, but you have to know something. Similarly if you're applying for a job as a graphics artist, you should know your way around graphics tools. And so on.

3. Understanding of what makes games fun. This is hardly something that you can put in a CV, but you can mention some games that you think are fun. Don't mention CoD or other generic casual games even if you like them; try to think of Portal or Sins of a Solar Empire or Warsow or something like that. This matters less or more depending on what position you're in, but ideas can come from anyone so it's always important.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I will definitely need testers ;)
    Me me me memememememeeeeeeeeeeeeee

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Beta announcements: when it's ready.
    == Alaris & clone ==

I am fiddling with game programming for few years, unfortunately nothing huge done. I usually do C++/Java/D and some heavier OpenGL with shaders and stuff.

The biggest problem I find with making games is that I'm no artist. I can't even sketch any placeholder stuff. And game without any art can't be done. I found two artists on Gamedev.net, but they always run away after some time, once they realise that even a simplest game requires quite a big of graphics.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    My approach to making a game started with a simple question: what can I make?

Getting artists involved can be tough, no wonder artists are in such demand in the industry. I would advise you do like me, first just steal resources off the internet, and see if you can make the game and if the end result is fun enough that it would be interesting to bring in artists to finish the game off into a sellable product.

As you get further, it'll be easier to get artists dedicated to your cause. Of course, don't forget to replace all the stolen artwork with actual new art, otherwise you risk copyright violations.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Alaris is right. Focus on what you can make. Literally... What you. can. make. Have stick figures as humans or triangles as spaceships or whatever, don't worry about it.

And then make that. There are artists out there (more artists than good programmers, I find), but no one wants to join a project that is going nowhere. Do something simple, just to have something to show people that you are willing to go from start to finish with a project!