GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Update: shooting portals is functional. As a side effect, I can also make any skill trigger another skill when it finishes.

edit: For lulz I made a skill that shoots in 8 directions trigger itself when ending. It was beautiful. And then it tanked my framerate.
    Last edited by Alaris; 26-02-2012 at 20:01.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    So, I had a hankering to play Final Fantasy 5 yesterday. However, I was wishing there were other jobs to choose from in the game, such as Dark Knight and Paladin, maybe a few others I can't think of at the moment. So, because I couldn't find any good hacked roms (I own the GBA version of the game TYVM, so I'm legal!) to include at least modified jobs. I did find one, and I started playing it, but not even a few minutes in, I decided that I wanted to try to build my own version of Final Fantasy 5 from the ground up.

In the end, it probably won't be FFV at all, but my own original game that borrows systems from FFV.

I'm using a fairly nice tutorial to get my engine built for an RPG. Once I get that up and running 100% (I'm a little more than halfway through the tutorials), then I'll start working on the details. But so far, it's turning out ok.

The way the tutorial is doing it, it had me build what you could basically call a debug room. Then it had me build all the editors that will allow me to make items, skills, classes, etc. I'm getting into the skills part now. As far as the game itself, all I can do is walk around. There is a house that is half off the screen and a chest in the middle of the area. But there are no boundaries set up, so the house and chest are part of the background (I walk on top of them like they aren't there). And the only keys that are currently set up are WASD to move, C and F change the camera from locked on character to free roam, and Page Up and Page Down zoom in and out. Yes, a 2D RPG with zooming, how awesome is that. I'm also not limited to moving only up, down, left, and right. I can move diagonally, which is drastically different from the old pre-FF7 FF games. I'm not sure at the moment if I want to try to limit my movement to be purist and remove the zooming and free camera.

I'm going about it with XNA Game Studio (which uses C#).

If you aren't familiar with Final Fantasy 5, it has a job system. In the beginning of the game, you start as a "Freelancer". There are no special abilities with it (yet). As you go on, you get crystal shards which give you jobs, such as White Mage, Black Mage, Knight, Dragoon, Thief, Chemist, etc. Each job can be leveled up, and once you hit the max level for the job, you'll have all of it's available abilities. Any passive abilities that the job you mastered gives you will automatically take affect on your Freelancer. So, for example, mastering the Ninja job will allow your Freelancer to dual wield without having to equip the ability to dual wield (which would leave you with one less ability slot).

So, basically, that's what I'm striving to make. However, it may end up evolving into something relatively different. I'm just hoping I can get the jobs to work the way I want them to.

Wish me luck. I'm serious about this, but I'm not going to let it burn me out so that I stop working on it completely. At least I have a programming background...it's a heck of a lot more fun to program as a hobby and not a job. I'm never doing that again. LOL. Two failed programming jobs is enough for me. I'm only doing it for fun from here on out.
    Last edited by bearsfwd; 29-05-2012 at 03:19.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'm having difficulty making a release version, apparently the glui I use is built for debug, and I am not sure how to go about compiling it for release.

Also, being the programming noob I am, I am not sure how to make a release self-install (if it's even needed) or just a release version that comes with everything it needs.

Once I figure that out, I can probably go alpha.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    So I'm thinking of going ahead into becoming more public.

Any advice on the following is greatly appreciated.

So far I am thinking a hosting site like GoDaddy or FatCow or HostPapa to get access to some web design tools, email, etc made for dummies. I could code the whole thing myself, but I figure I would be wasting a lot of time doing that. There's also amazon cloudfront which seems cheaper, but I fear it might lack a lot of features I might want.

Not sure how good their store options are... I'd start with donations, probably via paypal, and see how far I can go with that. I work as a consultant now, so I can easily take donation money as an excuse to spend time building the game instead of consultant work. I'm not sure if I need to register as a business though to take donations. Eventually, I'd want to use Canadian branch of Kickstarter, but I figure for that to be worth it the project already has to be fairly advanced and with enough following.

Finally, I plan to explain some of my design choices via blogs. I'm deviating from the industry standards in many places, each for very specific reasons.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran6 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii
    just saw this awesome thread ^^ go go go Alaris go =)
    is there any website or online info about your project ?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    vortexgreen.ca

There's a working demo there as well.

I'm currently working two jobs (contract work) so don't expect frequent updates... but feedback appreciated!
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran6 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii
    *dowloads*

don't worry I WILL give you some _consrtuctive_ feedback

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Pfft, any feedback is useful at this point... even I can be a pretty tough critic of my own work. That's the best way to improve.
    == Alaris & clone ==