PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    C++ is my favorite, but they have me doing Java at work.

I've always wanted to make my own game, but I can never find the time...

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I cannot find the time either hahah!

This is not my first try. I have some code in there that is easily 10yo. Part of the reason why it might work is that I stopped went to the drawing board with one question: "to make a great game but only with the resources I have".

One programmer, no artist, no funding, and that's not my full-time job.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilisys View Post
    C++ is my favorite, but they have me doing Java at work.

I've always wanted to make my own game, but I can never find the time...
    C++ was my first language, but somehow I never was able to master pointers and stuff. I understood them enough to get through my classes but I can't really do/understand the more complicated pointer stuff...

I have a love-hate relationship with Java, and it's by far the language I am most proficient at.. so there's that heh.

Btw Alaris, if you want some help I can do some minor things in my spare time. I'm a decent debugger... and if you give me a concrete task, I'd be happy to give it a go. Are you using version control?

Sent from my G2. lulz what typos?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Remember that I am not trained in programming. I learned what I know by doing.

I have no idea what version control is. For that matter, I have not learned good debugging techniques. I should get a book on those things.

I appreciate the help, but I'd like to keep this a one-person project if possible. The reason being that the basic idea driving the game is quite novel, but also easily stolen. I would not feel comfortable with other people seeing my code, at least not until the project is pretty advanced.
    Last edited by Alaris; 02-09-2011 at 21:11.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Fair enough, and again, I'm happy to help if you copy and paste some problematic code. =]

Being trained in programming makes very little difference tbh >__> programing is the only way to learn how to program. So keep at it xD

Version control! I highly suggest it, specially if you have a project of decent magnitude. It's mainly for collaborating, so that say... when I edit one file, and you edit the same file, something is keeping track of that, and yells so that the developers take a closer look. But also, it works as a giant "save" button.

You commit changes, and check-out the most current version of your project wherever you are (given that you have the info about the project, pw, url, etc) Also, if you break your build for whatever reason, and don't know how to fix it, you can return to a previous state of your project. It's also good to know, most dev jobs have folks using some form of version control or another. I mostly use Subversion but CVS is pretty good. I've never used Git, but I hear it is the best one.
    Last edited by Raye; 02-09-2011 at 21:24.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'll look into version control, thanks.

My current problem is that the code I wrote, much of which I wrote 3 computers ago (at a rate of about 1 new comp every 3 years), did not include code to scale with time. That is, I wrote the code using "frames" as my measure of time, and now the computer runs at a much MUCH higher framerate which means the game runs WAY too fast. I'm in the processing of fixing that oversight by replacing all measures by real-world variables (distance in meters, time in seconds, etc).

Jumping works again, so once I get the constants (run speed) etc then the basic physics will be in place. I do need to figure out some collision correction at some edges which cause my character to bounce (probably surfaces at an angle protrude according to my collision detection algorithm).
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    My current problem is that the code I wrote, much of which I wrote 3 computers ago (at a rate of about 1 new comp every 3 years), did not include code to scale with time. That is, I wrote the code using "frames" as my measure of time, and now the computer runs at a much MUCH higher framerate which means the game runs WAY too fast. I'm in the processing of fixing that oversight by replacing all measures by real-world variables (distance in meters, time in seconds, etc).
    It's a good idea to use the clock to keep track of frames. Don't just let them run as fast as possible, you'll run into trouble.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Thanks, I was thinking about slowing the game when it gets too fast. I remember Descent (or was it Descent 2) which had the physics change as a function of framerate... Most of it was linked to time, but some stuff like tracking missiles would have a higher turn rate for example.

Not easy to program with all this properly done.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Running, jumping, guns, and physics.

QWOP with guns, maybe? Aim at the other players by controlling your forearms with A & S, and your wrists with K & L!
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    QWOP with guns, that'd be Jurassic Park: Trespasser.

Don't worry though... that's not my twist.
    == Alaris & clone ==