PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Warned? From what I understand of the org design of the US, they pretty much wrote in laws to prevent what's happened. Many escaped europe because of this. The pendulum swings back and forth between oppression and freedom every now and then. At some point it'll come back. It just depends on how bad it gets before it happens.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Gosh, I don't really want to think about how much worse it may have to get for real change to happen.

nothing is going to change...doesnt matter which 'party' has control over whichever part of the government--they really only care about thier own bums and nothing else.
    As for the rating being dropped--gee, now perhaps they will see that the rest of the world doesnt really care about their bums..and get a clue. (though highly doubt it).

as I said, nothing will change.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    The problem with them caring about nothing but themselves is that lots of politicians have the power to give themselves raises, awesome healthcare, great retirement plans, etc. So when it comes time to cut social programs for the rest of us schmucks, they have no qualms preventing us access to the same benefits they get. It's disgusting.

Their salaries need to get slashed big time, along with their perks, and it needs to be illegal for them to accept any kind of gifts outside of their personal life. Watch how fast things would change then.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    See, we can agree from time to time.
    We agree on most things I think, religion excluded, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    This guy wins, my Dad loses. He goes on to be really into the job for about a year, then rumors of his in-and-out-ness surface... and he runs for a higher office before even three years of his six-year term are done. Now he's since gone on to another job, even higher, but the rumors of his unsavory character and slightly shady conflict-of-interest issues continue... Yet he also continues to be elected. By all appearances, he's well on his way to being a career politician.
    Uhhh... Is this even allowed? I guess it's easier for us since we elect everything at the same time: public servant terms don't overlap. Anyway yeah, that is one example of what I mean. Did your dad get to run for district justice again?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    I'm going to beat you with that every time I find it amusing.
    Is seal clubbing a national sport where you live, or is it just you? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    Their salaries need to get slashed big time, along with their perks, and it needs to be illegal for them to accept any kind of gifts outside of their personal life. Watch how fast things would change then.
    Dunno. I think a substantial part of their income comes from corruption anyway (well, those causing the problems anyway). But yes, they should have serious consequences for failing to do their job.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Did your dad get to run for district justice again?
    Due to health issues that came up later, it wasn't really practical for him. I don't live there anymore, so I'm not sure who filled the position or how they went about appointing a replacement.

GWOnline.Net Member
    The problem with politics is corporate personhood which under the constitution treats corporations as an individual person. Which means that corporations are allowed to contribute money to political campaigns under the right to free speech.

Of course this means that politicians are in the corporations' pockets. We've seen tax cuts to the obscenely rich, tax breaks for corporations, policies that benefit big corporations. Now they're moving on to the EPA (environmental protection agency), because without EPA restrictions they can make more profit.

So politicians aren't doing things for the benefit of it's citizens, they're doing it for themselves and their corporate sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
    So politicians aren't doing things for the benefit of it's citizens, they're doing it for themselves and their corporate sponsors.
    Yeah. And that's the way it needs to be, unfortunately.

Or, wait, yeah, sure. Companies should not be able to give money to campaigns. Or...

No, that's too complicated. They should be able to give money.

And there should be a, say, 70% gift tax on it.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Dunno. I think a substantial part of their income comes from corruption anyway (well, those causing the problems anyway). But yes, they should have serious consequences for failing to do their job.
    Well, yeah, that is why I said they should not be allowed to accept any gifts outside of their personal lives.

Someone sent me what is essentially an Internet chain letter about the "Congressional Reform Act of 2011." A sigh of longing escaped my lips before I filed it away.