PC Gaming News
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    I both like Ree Soesbee and the new redesign but on a matter of accuracy:
    Spoiler
    What does a girl with a huge cannabis bud on her head have to do with anything?
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Quote Originally Posted by djacob View Post
    By your reckoning we should all go learn Chinese (or Spanish if you don't count Chinese due to the fact they're all in the same place or something).
    I wouldn't say "most used/useful" necessarily means "largest number of users", it's more a matter of location. Chinese is, as you say, concentrated to parts of a single, pretty isolated nation. Spanish is mostly used in parts of South America(?).

English is spoken in pretty much every part of the world.

As Wikipedia says:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish language
    Total speakers: 500 million as first or second language
    Quote Originally Posted by English language
    Overall first or second language: 500 million–1.8 billion
    (Disclaimer: not saying anything about localization here.)

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/races/sylvari/

The Sylvari page updated.

I must say I'm not impressed by the quality of the grass in the video...

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jack View Post
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/races/sylvari/
    The Sylvari page updated.

I must say I'm not impressed by the quality of the grass in the video...
    All giant leaves and luminescent stuff. So many secondary colours! That leaves the impression of very little contrast and I kind of miss the "raw" stuff we have seen in the Tarnished Coast in GW1 (like large ravines, waterfalls, huge rocks, caves etc.). But perhaps we will see that outside the Grove. Divinity's Reach and the other "starter cities" offered a little bit more diversity, at least to the (or my) eye.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Really love the music in that last video... much more symphonic than GW1... just beautiful.

I really don't get the "honor" and "noble" aspects of sylvari. Both imply tradition and long history, the opposite of what sylvari are about.

Quote Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
    I really don't get the "honor" and "noble" aspects of sylvari. Both imply tradition and long history, the opposite of what sylvari are about.
    I think those are aspects that were imbued to them by both Ventari and Ronan... and they just kinda took it over from there.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Honor to me is a way of life.

Nobility was granted to the Sylvari because they were born from the tree queen. I guess.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Interesting video; lol'd at showing the Sylvari gathering resources "attending their garden"; will have to wait until GamesCom to see some brutality.

Looking up at the plant that reaches into the sky at the end (the Pale Tree?); reminds me of the same effect in Aion with the crystals (starter area of the cooler hoofed race :).

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    All giant leaves and luminescent stuff. So many secondary colours! That leaves the impression of very little contrast and I kind of miss the "raw" stuff we have seen in the Tarnished Coast in GW1 (like large ravines, waterfalls, huge rocks, caves etc.). But perhaps we will see that outside the Grove. Divinity's Reach and the other "starter cities" offered a little bit more diversity, at least to the (or my) eye.
    Why would anyone expect a city -- even one as alien as the Grove -- to look like the surrounding countryside? Clearly the sylvari have tended and shaped their city to a great degree, putting in as much effort as the other races have devoted to their cities, but using techniques better described as horticulture than construction. I'm sure you're right that the areas outside the Grove will still have wild areas, as well as settled rural areas that are less tamed than the big city.

I suspect that the diversity of other cities comes from giving little attention to central planning, and those cities (especially LA) pretty much just grow. The sylvari strike me as being more concerned with making things fit their environment, and the connections they share with each other and the Tree probably result in a natural coordination and blending of their efforts, even without central planning. They seem more like Treebeard's description of the entwives -- liking order and for things to stay where they're put -- than like the ents -- prefering the wild places and striving for minimal environmental impact -- based on what we see in that video.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Grove from a distance, given the description of the Pale Tree being mountain sized and seeing that last shot of the trunk going up through the clouds. I was a little disappointed this wasn't part of the video, but maybe they just want to save something for the game. Hopefully there will be in-game places from which we can get a good overview. And I really, really hope we can climb to the top. :)