GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I can see a dungeon with us being pitted against the Nightmare Court.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I’m not liking the nightmare court thing. It’s just a bunch of delusional psychotic Sylvari that decided to sew mayhem and evil with the belief it will make them stronger. I don’t see how the main Sylvari would put up with it, they should understand the threat to the tree and hunt it down and eradicate it quickly, it makes little sense that they would be allowed to exist. Yes I understand they are the weeds but in any garden you remove the weeds when they grow amongst your plants.

I could understand some ‘Sylvari power’ groups who see all outsiders as a threat or unequal but would draw a line in unnecessary violence against their own kind and still holds to the Sylvari dictum of fighting the dragons. This would be more tolerated by their own kind and would be able to grow big enough to splinter. This group intends to torture their own kind so that new pods hatch as more deluded and psychotic.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimShade View Post
    I’m not liking the nightmare court thing. It’s just a bunch of delusional psychotic Sylvari that decided to sew mayhem and evil with the belief it will make them stronger. I don’t see how the main Sylvari would put up with it, they should understand the threat to the tree and hunt it down and eradicate it quickly, it makes little sense that they would be allowed to exist. Yes I understand they are the weeds but in any garden you remove the weeds when they grow amongst your plants.
    More sociopathic than psychotic. They have an antisocial personality disorder, not a loss of contact with reality. They have a problem with empathy and conscience, and their logic seems to be based on what an economist would call a short time preference.

Take, for example, Caderyn's desire to be "the vine that crushes the very sapling which holds it to the light." A vine that does that falls out of the light and dies. A parasite that kills its host is far weaker in the long run than a symbiont that exchanges benefits with its host, but Caderyn is incapable of seeing or appreciating that.

Your solution, though, sounds too much like fighting fire with fire. You would have the Dreamers follow the same path of vengeance that the Nightmare Court advocates, which would, in the end, be giving into the Nightmare.
    Last edited by BrettM; 12-08-2011 at 22:32.

I just don't really understand why the Nightmare court goes so far in their methods to advocate themselfs. I don't see how it would help anyone if the torture sylvari so that more sylvari are born with twisted thoughts.. What is their goal, what are they hoping to achieve? Pain and dispair everywhere? Why would anyone want that?

Could be though, that those exposed to the darkness of this world are somehow more drawn to it, like plants growing to light, the "dark" sylvari might be drawn to the shadow of this world.
    But still.. torturing your own race just to spread evil?
    I agree with this:
    I could understand some ‘Sylvari power’ groups who see all outsiders as a threat or unequal but would draw a line in unnecessary violence against their own kind and still holds to the Sylvari dictum of fighting the dragons. This would be more tolerated by their own kind and would be able to grow big enough to splinter.
    Still, the sylvari are very interesting race, and their Deku home-tree is even more interesting.

Not strictly giving into the nightmares, as terror only breads more terror. A Sylvari Supremist group does not need to feed a nightmare it merely twists the dream to its own devices. This simply alters the focus of the dream from a peace loving society to a peaceful society provided you are one of them. Eventually some may see no difference between a nightmare and the dream but still - http://mildlybrilliant.blogspot.com/2009/01/gjghk.html

Perhaps it is the young nature of the Sylvari that keeps them from understanding the danger of outright ‘nightmare’ propagation done through horrors and atrocities or the danger it represents to the whole of the tree. I guess all Sylvari are still ‘young bulls.’

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The more twisted the newborn, the easier it is to recruit.

And as they grow their ranks, the Nightmare Court will eventually be able to overtake the Sylvari, and perhaps the Tree itself. That's the idea anyway...
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohjo View Post
    What is their goal, what are they hoping to achieve? Pain and dispair everywhere? Why would anyone want that?
    They don't want that! That, and worse, is what they would GET, but they don't see that. In their twisted logic they believe their methods will produce the strength to deal with the Elder Dragons. That is what they are hoping to achieve.

Their ultimate goal is no different than that of the Dreamers -- saving their race from the Dragons. That's the horror of the situation: both sides are working towards the same good end! But the Nightmare Court is evil in their means and seem incapable of realizing how counter-productive they are.

Their goal may be the same but they are perusing it with the logic and understanding of a 20 year old. Ironically this does work for them as they are that young. They haven't even reached the age where they start understanding tact and how to problem solve without breaking things.

Basically we have a race of teenagers who have been given nukes.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

Memento Vivere, Mystic Spiral
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohjo View Post
    Still, the sylvari are very interesting race, and their Deku home-tree is even more interesting.
    You could pretty much write a LoZ story here with some changes.
    Human Mother with baby on the run of Mantle/Mursaat/Corrupted Beings etc.
    Leaves child at the Pale Tree.
    Sylvari & Pale Tree raise the kid as one of their own.
    Years later, he journeys outside the Tarnished coast, collects Destiny's Edge Members instead of jewels and beats up the evil Zhaitan with the Ascendants Sword.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I think there's also an element of "We are nature, and nature is not all hugs and cuddles" to the Nightmare Court.

Still, I am now very torn between a Sylvari Engineer or a Charr Ranger when GW2 comes out.