PC Gaming News
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    There's still time for this to change I guess.
    I hope so, it did look very empty in the demos that we have seen.

No idea if this vid has been posted before, but:

ANet Devs vs EU Guild Boon Control, seems like a bit more fast-paced and skilled gameplay than we've gotten from other videos, if only because there probably was more coordination and quick changes between skills/weapons.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Good video. I don't see why people downrate the pvp so soon. It's only 5v5, half of the limit, and many are new to the game let alone the pvp. Once people get good you can then fight in those "good games only" games and have full 10v10 team fights with cross combos everyday.

Until then, 99% will be puggy nub battles until open beta and later.

(i wish they increased energy by 100%.. 4 rolls is much faster)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Competitive stuff is 5v5.

Mind you, I think people are random, but once you get voice chat and some experience, you'll be seeing some interesting dynamics.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Kedde View Post
    Good stuff about observer mode and replays. Basically a must that both in high quality make it into the game.

However, I'll have to slightly disagree with him on the quoted. It wasn't necessarily always difficult to find 8 people with scheduling that could be decent. It was difficult to find 8 people that all had the same mindset, liked each other and more importantly were about level in skill.

I kinda feel that if 5v5 is going to be the maximum number of participants in any mode of competitive PvP, that it'll end up breaking many old guilds up. Teams that were 8-10-12 or more that regularly played will have to split into so many smaller teams which makes me sad. As long as they implement some great social networking tools it'll help a lot, but it feels like it's just not going to be the same.

How do you split up a guild of say 10 members. You all enjoy playing together, some play a bit less which is why 10 was acceptable for everyone. You're now forced to either build up 2 guilds to play competitively at the same time, but this however means that for things like WvW you can't be grouped together properly.
    Same guild, two parties enter at the same time? I can't imagine that there are a significant number of 8-12 member guilds that had schedules similar enough that they could always field a team of 8, but dissimilar enough that they wouldn't be able to field two teams of 5 most of the time. If the latter is the case, just grab another couple of friends you make into the guild, voila, you can field two teams all the time. Or stick with 8, and you don't need to have everyone on at once to always be able to get a full team.

Maybe scheduling was a bigger deal for me than for you in GW1 (the two guilds I played significant GvG with died mainly because of conflicts cropping up as we got older / went to college / got jobs), but I appreciate the fact that it'll be easier to make a team in GW2.

Vent should make the WvW thing a non-issue. "Where are you", "Center castle", "Ok, on my way." =/

Yeah but it would be easier to have a properly big team size

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyy High View Post
    Same guild, two parties enter at the same time? I can't imagine that there are a significant number of 8-12 member guilds that had schedules similar enough that they could always field a team of 8, but dissimilar enough that they wouldn't be able to field two teams of 5 most of the time. If the latter is the case, just grab another couple of friends you make into the guild, voila, you can field two teams all the time. Or stick with 8, and you don't need to have everyone on at once to always be able to get a full team.

Maybe scheduling was a bigger deal for me than for you in GW1 (the two guilds I played significant GvG with died mainly because of conflicts cropping up as we got older / went to college / got jobs), but I appreciate the fact that it'll be easier to make a team in GW2.

Vent should make the WvW thing a non-issue. "Where are you", "Center castle", "Ok, on my way." =/
    I know it's rather situational and down to personal experience mostly. That was all from my point of view, and nothing disastrous just sorta sad.
    It'll hardly be a problem like I mentioned, if they implement good social networking tools. Good tools for friend list, guild and alliance management with few limitations.

Ok.. necromancing this thread!

Watching the video's on PvP I cant shake the feeling that because the trinity system has been abandoned, whatever profession is played, they seem to do very similar damage, utility, heal etc. in GW1 an assassin ambushing a caster, should end up in a 3 second kill by the assassin (in cases where there is no support). I somehow dont have the feeling that in GW2, a thief ambushing a scolar will have the same result. Can anyone confirm this?
    Do GW2 professions still have stand out abilities, in terms of spike, pressure, uitility, holding?

Instead of being able to bring team builds that synergize certain skill mechanics GW2 appears to lay more of an emphasis on this.

"Turn the tide of battle with improvised tactics. Combine attacks from different professions for extra damage, like shooting arrows through a flaming wall to create a barrage of flaming projectiles, or sending pets through a cloud of poison so they spread the toxin among the enemy."

I think this is an awesome concept. I Assume these mechanics get better with more people around. Is conquest PvP the best feature to make this work?
    In the battle of Khylo I only see 3vs3 battles at most. Conquest in GW AB is nice, because there is oppertunity to fight groups of people everywhere. The battle of Khylo the conquest feature seems rather lonely.
    Wouldn't the features quoted above, be more awesome where there actually are 2 full teams actively fighting each other in close proximity?

Judging from the battle of Khylo, for me it would seem WvWvW would definately be more appealing then organised PvP. Even without knowing all that much about WvWvW. At least there should be ample opportunity for large brawls, seing the quoted part to its optimum effect, being able to ninja some resource for your world with your guild or friends.
    Last edited by the ettins kiss; 11-09-2011 at 15:44.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Unrelated, but...shouldn't sending pets through a cloud of poison...well...kill them? Seems a bit heartless. I doubt I'm the only one who instantly thought that, though.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    It's okay, you can just res them again after. No harm done.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]