Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans

removing windows

since a few day's i can't do anything with my bank account because they blocked me, this is because there is a master boot virus.
    i don't want to loose all my files so formatting the partition is out of the question, all i want is to remove the windows map and install it fresh on a smalled partition.
    i already have 35GB ready to use as it's own partition so windows can be installed without fail but i don't want to risk the fresh windows to be infected by the virus to, so deleting the map is my first priority right now.

does anyone know a way, i know the DOS way but you need fat32 for that and this partition is made under NTFS so i need something more reliable then that.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

StormBluff
    Guild

GWOA, TRUE
    Got a name for the virus? there are ways to remove even MBR viruses...

Run a linux boot disc. Try ubuntu, it is the easiest. This will allow you to boot into ubuntu and access the ntfs disc drives so you can backup your files into a thumb drive before formatting. It can also create a new partition if you choose to install ubuntu. For beginners, i recommend linux mint first.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    backing up over 600GB is a bit much to ask for, not gonna use linux ether.
    thanks for the advise tho.

i have to find out the name, all i got is "there is a master boot virus we can't delete, ask a professional for further assistance".
    maybe housecall can help me with that, ill get back on it when i am finished scanning on full scan.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

5 methods, try from 1-5. Good luck

1) put in ur windows install CD and ask it to 'repair'. That should work.

2) Another way is to create a partition first, go to bios and load that partition, and install windows in it.

3) Easiest method: Buy a new hard disk, [buy a USB hard disk connector and power cable, use your old hard disk as a USB drive], and the new hard disk as a brand new windows partition. -.- Cheap and probably the best option.

4) You don't have to install linux, you can boot from disc, at least u still have firefox/chrome. Use linux to partition if you wish or do a virus scan. Doing a partition in windows or doing a virus scan while windows is running is probably going to ensure that the virus stays(if it is coded well). Its all GUI nowadays anyway, simple.

5) Install linux, and be virus free for life. Your linux partition can access your windows partition and you can STILL boot into windows when you need to play games.
    Last edited by Kael Valeran; 04-09-2011 at 15:35.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    5) Install linux, and be virus free for life.
    Just as a minor correction as this tends to be a common misconception: this isn't entirely true. Installing Linux won't automatically make you virus-free for life as Linux viruses do actually exist and more often than not someone finds a hole somewhere to slip it through, if not in the kernel then in the software that makes up each distribution or in the user's antics.

However, your likelihood of infection compared to Windows is a lot smaller.

If you're using Windows 7 (and maybe XP/Vista as well) you can re-install the new operating system without erasing the old one--it'll just show up in your C-drive as a folder called Windows.old (it gives you this option at some point when you put the DVD for the OS in--do not elect to re-format the whole hard drive). The Windows.old folder contains all the files you have now--including the virus, so after you move files over to your new OS that you know are safe, I'd delete the whole old folder.
    mv

A bootkit, interesting, never heard of that before. This might help: http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses...?qid=208280748

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Are you saying that your PC doesn't even get through the BIOS check?

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    There was a virus once Dom that resided in ector 22 or 23 of a hard drive and made it impossible for DOS to detect or stop it from executing. Thankfully that was over 10 years ago, but yes BIOS doesn't do more than check the in's and out's of the hardware associated with start-up.

As for this thread - older than Adam. Pretty sure his parents have bought him a new one by now.

-Art