PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    You took one aspect of my post, the on-paper better damage of RoJ and ignored the other points.

In guess in the end, both are crappy elites, so it's whatever fits your play style best.
    The other points were personal preference, as you just said. If you're making a character for damage, you look at what has the highest damage potential that can be sustained. Since a smite monk has energy management, and the potential to put Blood Ritual on a mm or rit hero, that negates any energy concerns. The other point was cast time, and you don't spike anything in pve, it becomes purely a matter of personal preference. Although if it's really such a burden, you can use a 40/40 smite set for quicker cast times. If they both trigger at the same time, you can cast it in half a second.

Since this guy's new to gw, I doubt he'll be playing in any mass-mesmer parties any time soon, therefore RoJ is unequivocally his best option to kill stuff until he gets to a level where he'll be needing to switch to heal/prot, and vanquishing hard mode, or whatever people do in pve when they're done the game.

Not that I've seen many full mesmer parties regardless, as virtually everyone I've pve'd with in the last month brings a RoJ monk or two, and at least one Signet of Spirits rit. Your mileage will obviously vary depending on how much pve your alliance does, and how mesmer-obsessed they are. Plan ahead accordingly.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Mesmer obsession is definitely at an all-time high, to the point where guild-folks need to ping EVERY time to make sure there isn't too much overlap. I'm considering getting an "I played Mesmer before it was cool" shirt to set myself apart when I play midline.
    Guild Wars - Erring Ryft | Guild Wars 2 - The Artless Dodger.2314

I just chose Mo/Me because i heard arcane echo is great with some powerful smites, but if there is a better secondary for monk smite build, let me know. as soon as i get to a profession changer i can change to a different secondary. I just want a smite build that is potent and works well.

Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]
    Personally as a player.... I would run something like:

RoJ - The highest damage smite elite, since its a player using it we can assume it will be placed correctly.
    Arcane Echo - To Echo RoJ
    Smite Hex - remove a hex, make stuff die.
    Smite Condi - Remove a condi make stuff die.
    Castigation Signet - The Smiting Emanage.
    Strength of Honour - Superbuff melees!

Now you have 2 slots left.

you cant go far wrong with PvE skills like Pain Inverter or Ebon Assassin support or the asura summons like summon Flame Djinn. However you most likely wont get these skills or ranks in them until late game.

Selfless Spirit is a good additional Emanage from the luxon/Kurzik skill set. - This skill will allow you to spam like crazy....

Seed of Life is a good prot for when you initially aggro. - Only good under the right circumstances.

Great Dwarf Weapon is also worthy of consideration to stack up with SoH but it needs Deldrimor Ranks.

Many of the PvE only skills are incredibly broken. you will generally want to be using your limit of 3 to be optimal but many of them are tied to ranks which take time to build up.

Therefore I am going to suggest the following possibilities for the final 2 skill slots....

Divine Healing + Heavens Delight - The part heal option.

Smiters Boon + Reversal of Damage - Reverse Damage + Heal More.

Oh and use Judges Intervention in areas like the desolation and Shards of Orr where 90% of the mobs are undead.

You could Also spec into Protection Prayers. For 2 of the following: Aegis, Protective Spirit, Shield of Absorbtion.

Keep away from the likes of Spear of Light, Smite, Stonesoul Strike etc. Sure direct damage can be fun but you will do better with the support smites... since the direct damage smites don't really deal good damage over all.

Quote Originally Posted by mindfray View Post
    I just chose Mo/Me because i heard arcane echo is great with some powerful smites, but if there is a better secondary for monk smite build, let me know. as soon as i get to a profession changer i can change to a different secondary. I just want a smite build that is potent and works well.
    Arcane Echo is a solid choice /Me also gives you options for emanage with stuff like power drain and leech sig. But these can be awkward to use. Alternatives would be /E for Glyph of Lesser Energy as an E-manage wouldn't be terrible, /Rt would give you options for Splinter weapon and Ancestors Rage, It may be awkward to spec enough channeling to get the most out of these though. Overall I generally agree that Me secondary is pretty much the best choice for smiters.
    Last edited by Tyris Requiem; 19-09-2011 at 01:32.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    A build which has someone do two roles will never be as good as a dedicated role, especially not for a new player. In theory, it would all go over great, hexes and conditions would be cleared, enemies would be smited, and all that happy fun stuff. In reality, people get tunnel vision (especially warriors who are used to staring at enemy health bars, or monks who are used to staring at the party screen), and one of the two jobs won't be done properly, if not ignored entirely - either they'll focus on foes and ignore allies, or focus on allies and ignore foes. This isn't a problem for heroes, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    you don't spike anything in pve
    What the heck are you talking about? That's why there is such an obsession with mesmers, because spiking everything in a single cast is all the rage.

I use while H/Hing Banish,Smite,RoJ,Scourage Healing or Reversal of Damage,Watchfull Healing.Signet of Devotion,Divine Healing and Rebirth.
    13 in Divine,13 in smite and the rest in Protection.I don't have scalp in Divine or Smite unless I use my Superior.

I can out do my Ele with this which I mostly use Air or Earth.

RoJ does do more damage with minor but SoJ with Superior tanking at 55 will do more.

To mindfray I would suggest that you use what you have and spec in protection with guardian reversal of fortune and purge conditions and let Aleisa do the healing.When do this one use you Warrior no Thom or Stefan.
    Last edited by Age; 19-09-2011 at 08:50.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    And now for something completely different: Mo/Ra with 12+1+3 Smiting Prayers and 12 Wilderness Survival using Serpent's Quickness. SQ will recharge everything on your bar 33% faster -- spells, signets, PvE skills, etc. -- as long as you use no other stances.

In my case, not having a warrior friend to support, one of my favorite bars is:

Serpent's Quickness
    Ray of Judgment
    Banish
    Spear of Light
    Castigation Signet
    Signet of Rage
    Bane Signet
    [Optional]

If the foe has Spell Breaker or Vow of Silence or energy denial, you still have signets to do damage. If the foe has Ignorance or Rust, you still have spells to do damage. The [Optional] skill can be whatever is best for a particular outing, such as a PvE skill. I rarely have any energy problems with this build unless the battle is very long, and the bar is pretty spammable under SQ so I'm not standing around wanding.

Personally, I prefer to leave Strength of Honor, Smite Hex, Smite Condition, and other such ally-support skills up to one of my monk heroes if I need them, since their reactions are better. Meanwhile, I just concentrate on damage.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    That looks a bit like my smiting build. I like the Serpent's Quickness, though. I might try it...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? That's why there is such an obsession with mesmers, because spiking everything in a single cast is all the rage.
    You mean to tell me you all get on vent with a party of mesmers, and go:

"Target up, get into position, spiking in three.. two.. one. Good work, okay, new target, spiking the Afflicted Monk in three.. two.. one. Alright, someone was off on that spike, he got a prot in, let's try again in three.. two.. one."

If that's honestly what you do, then I simply have no words, other than congratulatory praise for taking pve more seriously than anyone else I've ever met in six years.
    If that isn't what you do, you're not spiking.

This is pve:
    C SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE 1 SPACE SPACE SPACE 1 2 SPACE SPACE 3 SPACE 1 SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE 2 TAB TAB SPACE SPACE SPACE 1 2 1 2 SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE 4 SPACE 3 C SPACE C SPACE 1 2 SPACE SPACE
    And so on.

Again. Not spiking.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]