Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

What race for your GW2 Elementalist? - pre-release -

After reading what CM's intention for the "race poll" in the Necro Forum was, I think we could have this conversation and discussion about the Elementalist here too.

Will race make a difference to your Elementalist?

Do you think that a Charr Elementalist will or should be played differently by you or other players than a Human or Sylvari Elementalist?

Asura -- 6.3% E
    Charr -- 18.8% E
    Human -- 34.6% E
    Norn -- 12.6% E
    Sylvari -- 27.7% E

When we take a look at the numbers compiled by Alaris in the profession forums (as of 8th of Sept.), there seems to be a strong hierarchy in which race to favor when it comes to the Elementalist.

Which race would you chose for your Elementalist, and why?

Personally I have made my decision: For me the Sylvari will be my choice.
    Why?
    Sylvari seem to be connected to the primary elements much more than the other races: "Water is life" is more imminent for a plant creature than a Human or Charr. It's (mainly) water that flows through a Sylvari's veins. The Pale Tree is rooted in the earth. That is so much more down to the core of the Sylvari's existence than an Asura who shapes a golem out of stone.
    That close connection holds a lot of potential for me.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I want to make sure my elementalist gets at least a summon, preferably a few choices. So that could weigh in... but I also don't want one of the "caster" races. In fact, I want charr, or better yet, norn.

The idea being that I like having race-profs that make sense in some way yet are not the norm. Norn or charr are obsessed about power, and elementalist seems a good choice.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I want to make sure my elementalist gets at least a summon, preferably a few choices.
    If we are talking about "creature" summons I think the Necro is the only one confirmed have those (well and the spirit weapons of the Guardian and the turrets of the Engineers). As far as I know there is only one racial summon skill: "Hounds of Balthazar", which is human.

Male Norn elementalist is something I can imagine Alaris, always close to the enemy. I haven't seen (or vividly remember now) any Norn female Eles and would favor other professions for the females.
    Do you have a preference?

PS: My Sylvari Ele will be female, although more out of tradition than because of the dislike of the male variant (unlike GW1, where I didn't like the male faces, hair and ... dance)
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    It'd be female, most likely. And my ele would be played as a ranged mostly. You don't need to get in range to be superior though, as a norn what matters is getting the kills, not so much how you do it. More power to me if I can get the kills before they even pose a threat.

As for summons, I mean of any kind of meat shield. Spirit weapons are grey area because they cannot be targeted afaik. I do count turrets though because even if they can't move, they can provide foes with a distraction. Asura will likely have golems (no need for confirmations), and I am pretty sure norn can call some animal friends to help out... hopefully not just elites.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Content Team
    Elemental Attunement
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    My Ele is going to be Asura. Not so much worried about his connection with the world and elements, I wouldn't say he's crazed with gaining power but is interested. Power over the elements would appeal to him.

I'm taking a Sylvari Elly, probably a lady. The idea of a plant sending out anything but earth damage is funny. How will it effect play, I don't know but I'm mostly running with Humans, and I'm hard pressed to deal with other races.

I hear Sylvari have great grass textures.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Remember guys, there are four elements. Enough to appeal to any race.

Sylvari might prefer earth and water ;)

My norn will likely use all 4, but I can see her being somewhat more attached to earth and fire, whereas gameplay-wise I find water more appealing.
    == Alaris & clone ==

My elementalist will most likely be Sylvari simply because of Water/Earth attunements seeming to coincide with their plant-likeness. Norn and Charr are more of warriors to me (soldier type classes). Asura would work as well, but I don't really like them...Human could work as well.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilisys View Post
    My elementalist will most likely be Sylvari simply because of Water/Earth attunements seeming to coincide with their plant-likeness.
    Yet there are a large number of plant eles in GW1 that use air magic. There are also a rare few that use fire, though I believe these are pretty much limited to bosses who use combinations (earth/fire for Seacrash and air/fire for Setikor Fireflower). It isn't really hard to justify the use of fire, since plants depend on the sun as much as on the earth and water.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    While Earth & Water seem to fit Sylvari more than Fire & Air, the later two could be seen as "the master" level of the profession: To control and invoke the power of Fire a Sylvari shows his expertise.

I see a trend toward Sylvari Eles so far...