PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63
  1. #41
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    29,751
    Humans are generally boring anyway. Least favorite race.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    1) I don't like rerolling characters because you waste whatever time investment you had in them. What if some of those racial skills only pop up at level 40 or above? Thankfully I won't play as much as many other players, so I should be able to wiki the info before I get too far in.

    2) imo when making such a permanent decision as race-prof combo, you should know from the get-go what it involves.
    I've been saying for quite some time that irreversible choices are a bad thing for an MMO. I never motivated it, but that is why.

    Though, for many racial skills, you can't know what you actually get unless you have played that profession. It might be like, a summoning skill and you think it would be awesome for an engineer or whatever, and then you make a sylvari engineer and it turns out that the summon is useless and that the asura skill would probably be better. I mean I realize that racial skills are for flavor, but still...

    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    The little triangle with the "!" in it, next to "Blog this Post."

    But you two are way too entertaining as is, so I don't recommend reporting each other.
    Ahh thank you... Yes I see.
    Well yeah, I won't report him. He never says anything worth reporting, and besides, I don't want my new toy to leave the board.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Humans are generally boring anyway. Least favorite race.
    But how else can I compensate for Logan Thackeray's idiocy at the end of "Edge of Destiny"? I have to fix it or I'll always be bothered by it. I don't want to live my life thinking, "Stupid humans. Made us lose the most likeable asura in history."

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    I've been saying for quite some time that irreversible choices are a bad thing for an MMO. I never motivated it, but that is why.
    Agree. But some permanent choices are rather difficult to undo. Changing sex is a rather big deal let alone race.

    Though, for many racial skills, you can't know what you actually get unless you have played that profession. It might be like, a summoning skill and you think it would be awesome for an engineer or whatever, and then you make a sylvari engineer and it turns out that the summon is useless and that the asura skill would probably be better. I mean I realize that racial skills are for flavor, but still...
    When racial skills are substantially worse than any relevant profession skill, this question automatically becomes moot.

    Ahh thank you... Yes I see.
    Well yeah, I won't report him. He never says anything worth reporting, and besides, I don't want my new toy to leave the board.
    I take it as a compliment that it's impossible to report me. I don't flame, insult or use ad hominems while virtually all my arguments are factually correct. As for you, I indeed don't want my new toy to leave the board either, but I'm also pretty sure you'd be banned by now if only I reported 2 or 3 posts.

  5. #45
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Gorani's Avatar
    Server

    Aurora Glade
    Guild

    [GWO]
    Posts

    8,802
    harniq, raspberry jam - do not try to get into something that I need to stop.

    Gorani

    PS: So far I have not seen a racial skill that I want so bad, I would chose that race just for the skill. The visually cool ones are Elites and the rest seems to be on par with other utilities from any professions.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."


  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    Agree. But some permanent choices are rather difficult to undo. Changing sex is a rather big deal let alone race.
    Yes. Which is why those choices either should not matter so much, or should be the foundational idea for your entire character (like profession choice is). As you say, one way around it is to make racial skills irrelevant, but even if they are statistically irrelevant, they might be relevant for other reasons (see Alaris' concerns).

    Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    I take it as a compliment that it's impossible to report me. I don't flame, insult or use ad hominems while virtually all my arguments are factually correct. As for you, I indeed don't want my new toy to leave the board either, but I'm also pretty sure you'd be banned by now if only I reported 2 or 3 posts.
    Ad hominem arguments (that are actually ad hominem arguments, not simple namecalling) are not reportable. For example, if I said that your argument is invalid because you are Belgian, that would be an ad hominem attack, but entirely true, so why would you report it?
    Nor are your arguments usually factually correct. You mostly have a good general correctness (as many do), but fail at the details (which also many do).

  7. #47
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    29,751
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    I've been saying for quite some time that irreversible choices are a bad thing for an MMO.
    Actually, I think you did mention it before.

    For me, it's fine that racial skills are not optimal, so I won't have to worry about the best combos. Basically, I think racial skills will be more used for soloing or zerging PvE where nobody really cares if something is a bit more OP than something else. At least, I don't. Balance WvW and PvP first and dungeons second.

    The problem is if I pick a race prof just to get some summons, and then realize that all races have good summon options and I could have picked any. Or I pick norn for melee because of the elite forms, but turns out all races have some form-like melee elite skills like the asura battle suit.

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyHarmon View Post
    "Stupid humans.
    Yeah, humans sure are not that interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    while virtually all my arguments are factually correct.
    Things that make me go o.O
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Yeah, humans sure are not that interesting.
    I think the Doctor would disagree.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Yes. Which is why those choices either should not matter so much, or should be the foundational idea for your entire character (like profession choice is). As you say, one way around it is to make racial skills irrelevant, but even if they are statistically irrelevant, they might be relevant for other reasons (see Alaris' concerns).
    Or you can sell sex and race changes in the gem shop, which WoW uses to rake in the dollars. I sure hope they don't go that route because it's seriously bad for business as far as integrity is concerned. A few choices are always permanent. Race and primary profession seem to be rather logical, so are the personal storyline choices. It makes your character unique and personal. Taking that away takes away the RP part of MMORPG. Some people seem to like that, but those should play Dotaclones

    Ad hominem arguments (that are actually ad hominem arguments, not simple namecalling) are not reportable. For example, if I said that your argument is invalid because you are Belgian, that would be an ad hominem attack, but entirely true, so why would you report it?
    Nor are your arguments usually factually correct. You mostly have a good general correctness (as many do), but fail at the details (which also many do).
    Calling me a Belgian is a fact, calling my argument invalid because I'm Belgian is not. Calling my argument invalid because all Belgians should die is reportable ;) Just making a difference here. You also made several ad hominem statements which are factually wrong, those are slander and technically also reportable.

    As for correctness, whereas I'm generally correct and might falter at some details, you are generally incorrect and try to prove that by attacking my details. That however does not disprove my point, it just disproves a minor detail of my generally correct post. Whereas your opening statements often are completely wrong while the details are correct leading to a non sequitur. That makes it very difficult to have a sane conversation because pointing out a non sequitur is boring and difficult, both for you, me and third parties, while disproving non-related trueisms is equally futile. However that does not make your posts correct. Arguing about what the word "grind" means is exactly that since you use the word for non-related things. That makes it difficult to have a healthy discussion.

    So please, for the sake of argument, try to avoid such fallacious styles, it's not good for anything.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Actually, I think you did mention it before.

    For me, it's fine that racial skills are not optimal, so I won't have to worry about the best combos. Basically, I think racial skills will be more used for soloing or zerging PvE where nobody really cares if something is a bit more OP than something else. At least, I don't. Balance WvW and PvP first and dungeons second.

    The problem is if I pick a race prof just to get some summons, and then realize that all races have good summon options and I could have picked any. Or I pick norn for melee because of the elite forms, but turns out all races have some form-like melee elite skills like the asura battle suit.
    Yeah. On one hand, it would be cool because then it wouldn't matter what you picked. On the other hand, if your intentions of picking that is that it matters... Then you'd be disappointed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •