Thread: WMP Codecs?

Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]

WMP Codecs?

Ok so a few months ago my WMP decided to stop playing video from my .avi video files. Now at the time I wasn't overly concerned because I also use VLC player.

However as it turns out Windows Movie Maker 2.6 uses whatever .avi codec which has broken, on importing .avi video files it freezes. Anyone know the codec I should be looking for? It would almost certainly be a default codec that came as part of windows media player.

I'm also trying to avoid bad codec packs also since that will just likely cause incompatability issues etc with old codecs and whatnot.

.avi is just a container, the actual data inside can be encoded in a number of ways.

I don't use it, but load one of your non-working files into VLC and see if it'll tell you what format the file is actually encoded in. That should help you track down which of your codecs is misbehaving.

Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Nook View Post
    .avi is just a container, the actual data inside can be encoded in a number of ways.

I don't use it, but load one of your non-working files into VLC and see if it'll tell you what format the file is actually encoded in. That should help you track down which of your codecs is misbehaving.
    Thank you good sir. I discivered the issue was with the codec used by fraps. (FPS1) Re installed the codec and it fixed everything ;D