PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Well, yes. But, knowing which elements give you the best access to which conditions is going to be factor into the decision as to which attunement to select at any given time. You can, for example, switch to earth to blind a foe, but earth may be a bad choice if blinding is part of your strategy of the moment. For earth, blind seems to be a quick self defense. For air, blind is a strategic condition. So a rundown by attunement provides a condensed guide to the possibilities.

Of course, Gorani is right that one has to consider the weapon as well.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I had already made a comparison table (it was in the sticky preview thread & still readable in the Pros & Cons Profession thread) of attunements & weapons back in the days (May) when they had not finalized the conditions & air magic was just introduced. That of course is completely outdated, but it illustrated that the present Elementalists has far more options to deal with enemies than just cause raw damage and burning (which was almost the exclusive thing an Ele could do a year ago). The Elementalist now is the class they had announced two years ago: Versatile - although you can still find a lot of improvements to make (e.g. Conjures are very weak right now and hardly worth taking and sharing with others; The Ele still has no "diversion" skill like other classes <minion, spirit weapon, pet, turret etc.> and should have one utility summon depending on your current attunement, like "summon elemental imp").

Long intro, short answer:
    I will create some new comparison tables once this week is over and I have a few days off from work (not really, but at least it will be not as stressful as it is now).
    Last edited by Gorani; 25-10-2011 at 21:02.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I found a few minutes of free time today, so I could add the two tables promised to post #1. I have also corrected two minor boo boos: Sandstorm was missing for Blind & Shards for bleed. The wiki list is currently inaccurate with those two skills. I also doubt that Lightning Strike can cause blind & stun, but I have no idea which info on the wiki to trust, as it is misleading.

Gorani

Short summary for the two tables.

Earth is the element with the most (but not the most powerful) conditions, followed by Water. Fire & Air are limited by the number of conditions, but they deal the more powerful ones (burning, daze, stun). If you just switch between Earth & Water, you can deal 8 out of 10 conditions, with only stun & burning missing from the possibilities.

The staff is the multi-tool of condition dealing, being able to cause 8 out of 10 possible conditions that the Elementalist can inflict.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Wow. I love that movement graphic above the tables. I think Edward R. Tufte himself would give you top marks for that.

The tables are great and the first one gives just the kind of attunement comparison I wanted. Thanks for putting in the work on these.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    Wow. I love that movement graphic above the tables. I think Edward R. Tufte himself would give you top marks for that.

The tables are great and the first one gives just the kind of attunement comparison I wanted. Thanks for putting in the work on these.
    I am glad you like them.

Unless we get some new info on Traits, I am out of source material for the Ele right now. The ability to create boons is limited to Attunement swapping and the four Signets and not worth a closer look I think, but I might change my mind after a little research.

I really like this overview. Especially the infographics.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I will try to get this thread up to date after the changes that have been made at the March 2012 beta weekend. Have a little patience or help me speed up the process by reporting things that have changed in the "Dust Devil"-Thread.

Gorani

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    The tables have been overhauled again, some skills changed and swapped and all traits included.

Gorani

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Next overhaul of this thread done. It now reflects the skills & conditions upon the public release of Guild Wars 2.

Please use this thread as a reference and to general discussions about the Elementalist's ability to cause conditions.
    There also is a special [Basics] thread about damage called Conditions vs. Power & Criticals that deals with the damage aspect of the conditions.

Gorani

Server

Dragonbrand ?
    Guild

String
    Ah, okay sorry - it would have been nice if you told me before you deleted it and maybe gave me some time to save it all. That was a lot of typing =D.